Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Stratux

Author
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
MarkusM - 4/11/2020 4:39:47 PM
TouchTheSky - 4/11/2020 3:48:58 PM
Cloudwalker - 4/11/2020 3:17:33 PM
Hello, 
Has anybody experience with Stratux on Rpi4B 4Gb?
Kind regards
Marc

I just released my Github repository for Stratux Europe on a Pi4:
Feel free to test it, some experience with Raspbian Buster is required.
Furthermore it is helpful if you have already prepared the SDRs serial to something like:
"stx:1090:0" for ADSB and
"stx:868:0" for FLARM
Please keep in mind that this is work in progress, you should not rely on this for flying ...

Thx a lot, that is good news for a next project!
But, all be aware that the Pi4 is rather power hungry and on the edge of what makes sense to run on cigarette lighter power - you need steady 3 Amps to let the typical setup run stable.

My Pi4 setup with GPS and two Nooelec NESDR SMArt v4 SDRs consumes 6W (1.2 Amps). 20% more than on my Pi3 setup. No fan installed as the Pi4 runs 10 degrees celsius cooler.

Cloudwalker
C
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 4/11/2020 3:48:58 PM
Cloudwalker - 4/11/2020 3:17:33 PM
Hello, 
Has anybody experience with Stratux on Rpi4B 4Gb?
Kind regards
Marc

I just released my Github repository for Stratux Europe on a Pi4:
Feel free to test it, some experience with Raspbian Buster is required.
Furthermore it is helpful if you have already prepared the SDRs serial to something like:
"stx:1090:0" for ADSB and
"stx:868:0" for FLARM
Please keep in mind that this is work in progress, you should not rely on this for flying ...

Thank you!  great start!

screen
s
Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)Too Much Forum (83 reputation)
Hi,
currently use SD in connection with Stratux Europe. For the aircraft that only broadcast S mode, several aircraft are displayed MODES in a circle on the GD90. When I change the connection to NEMA (Flarm with Air Conn.) Then a circle is displayed with the altitude?

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
screen - 5/17/2020 5:03:51 PM
Hi,
currently use SD in connection with Stratux Europe. For the aircraft that only broadcast S mode, several aircraft are displayed MODES in a circle on the GD90. When I change the connection to NEMA (Flarm with Air Conn.) Then a circle is displayed with the altitude?

Yes

joey
joey
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
Can someone please explain to me why this circlce of MODES aircraft appears aorund me and if there is a way to disable it?

b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)
This is a nearby aircraft that is only Mode-S equipped but not ADS-B. The Distance of the circle is the estimated distance of the other aircraft. You can disable it in the settings ("bearingless targets").

joey
joey
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
b3nn0 - 7/24/2020 10:21:43 AM
This is a nearby aircraft that is only Mode-S equipped but not ADS-B. The Distance of the circle is the estimated distance of the other aircraft. You can disable it in the settings ("bearingless targets").

That worked, thank you! I first tried disabling bearingless targets in the Skydemon app but still saw the Mode-S targets. After I also disabled them in the Stratux web interface they disappeared.

It makes such a difference to have (ADS-B and FLARM) traffic displayed in Skydemon. I absolsutely love it. Keep up the great work!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
That fake circle of "MODES" aircraft sent from Stratux is an abomination. It will mess with the way SkyDemon does collision avoidance and should never have been created.
b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 7/30/2020 10:59:25 AM
That fake circle of "MODES" aircraft sent from Stratux is an abomination. It will mess with the way SkyDemon does collision avoidance and should never have been created.

Thank you for that helpful comment. I'm happy to implement something different that provides bearingless targets via GDL90 in a way that Skydemon can use to display something better. But my impressions for now were, that you don't want to provide any other way - so what else do you recommend?
Anyway, the feature will be disabled by default starting with the next version to reduce questions like the above.

BTW: From flying very frequently with my Stratux, and from a lot of user feedback, I have learned that these bearingless targets, albeit not precise, are extremely helpful in practice. So an answer like "disable bearingless targets" is not valid IMO.

I do of course know, that the GDL90 standard doesn't provide such an option, but it is a very modular standard that could easily be extended without breaking any compatibility.
So sometimes things just have to be updated, even though they don't follow what is already there. Otherwise we would still be programming in Fortran.

We are all striving for the best solution, but sadly, for now, this is the best solution available as SkyDemon doesn't offer something else - at least nothing that I'm aware of.

Edited 7/30/2020 2:19:12 PM by b3nn0
Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
(Posted before I saw B3nn0’s post above. ^^^^^^^^^^ long story - trying to look after kids!!)

Tim,

I also have significant concerns about the potential for a circle of essentially ‘bearingless’ aircraft suddenly appearing around my aircraft in flight as if they were ‘known position’ aircraft and appreciate the (presumably unintended but) potentially catastrophic effect this will have on your anti-collision warnings.

Having (as you know) worked with Lee Moore to develop PilotAware’s Mode C / S alert trigger algorithms back in 2015, I am as aware as anyone of the issues involved with identifying, notifying and subsequently locating ‘bearingless’ targets in the air.

In my opinion, this isn’t a deliberate attack on SkyDemon, but rather an attempt at a ‘work-around’ for the fact that ‘bearingless’ aircraft targets simply don’t show on SkyDemon via GDL90 (which is Stratux and Stratux Europe’s sole data transfer system). On the basis that around 70%+ of the aircraft we are likely to come across at GA levels in Class G airspace are still ‘Pure Mode-S’ and that this is unlikely to change significantly in the short to medium term, I can understand the intention, though obviously don’t condone the solution. Surely the answer is for us all to work together cooperatively to develop and agree a practical solution (as at least one other EFB seems to have done). Failure to do so will IMO simply result in other system developers trying to develop their own ‘ad hoc’ work-arounds.

Best Regards

Peter
Edited 7/30/2020 3:24:31 PM by Peter Robertson
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search