Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Stratux

Author
M
Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)Too Much Forum (227 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Tim Dawson - 7/30/2020 10:59:25 AM
That fake circle of "MODES" aircraft sent from Stratux is an abomination. It will mess with the way SkyDemon does collision avoidance and should never have been created.

Tim,
too bad you feel that way.
Stratux Europe is the best traffic tool ever and the bearingless targets circle is in my opinion better than nothing.
In general, I think it would be good if you were more customer-oriented and friendly.
Best regards
Kai

fzahn
f
Forum Member (46 reputation)Forum Member (46 reputation)Forum Member (46 reputation)Forum Member (46 reputation)Forum Member (46 reputation)Forum Member (46 reputation)Forum Member (46 reputation)Forum Member (46 reputation)Forum Member (46 reputation)
b3nn0 - 7/30/2020 1:55:01 PM
That fake circle of "MODES" aircraft sent from Stratux is an abomination. It will mess with the way SkyDemon does collision avoidance and should never have been created.

Thank you for that helpful comment. I'm happy to implement something different that provides bearingless targets via GDL90 in a way that Skydemon can use to display something better. But my impressions for now were, that you don't want to provide any other way - so what else do you recommend?
Anyway, the feature will be disabled by default starting with the next version to reduce questions like the above.

BTW: From flying very frequently with my Stratux, and from a lot of user feedback, I have learned that these bearingless targets, albeit not precise, are extremely helpful in practice. So an answer like "disable bearingless targets" is not valid IMO.

I do of course know, that the GDL90 standard doesn't provide such an option, but it is a very modular standard that could easily be extended without breaking any compatibility.
So sometimes things just have to be updated, even though they don't follow what is already there. Otherwise we would still be programming in Fortran.

We are all striving for the best solution, but sadly, for now, this is the best solution available as SkyDemon doesn't offer something else - at least nothing that I'm aware of.

What about the Flarm-Mode? Skydemon is able to talk to Air Avionics Traffic Warning Systems via the Flarm-Protocol and the Stratux European Edition supports this too... I use that with my Stratux and SKydemon and it seems to work...
Isn`t that the solution we are waiting for?

b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)
fzahn - 8/3/2020 4:02:37 PM
b3nn0 - 7/30/2020 1:55:01 PM

Thank you for that helpful comment. I'm happy to implement something different that provides bearingless targets via GDL90 in a way that Skydemon can use to display something better. But my impressions for now were, that you don't want to provide any other way - so what else do you recommend?
Anyway, the feature will be disabled by default starting with the next version to reduce questions like the above.

BTW: From flying very frequently with my Stratux, and from a lot of user feedback, I have learned that these bearingless targets, albeit not precise, are extremely helpful in practice. So an answer like "disable bearingless targets" is not valid IMO.

I do of course know, that the GDL90 standard doesn't provide such an option, but it is a very modular standard that could easily be extended without breaking any compatibility.
So sometimes things just have to be updated, even though they don't follow what is already there. Otherwise we would still be programming in Fortran.

We are all striving for the best solution, but sadly, for now, this is the best solution available as SkyDemon doesn't offer something else - at least nothing that I'm aware of.

What about the Flarm-Mode? Skydemon is able to talk to Air Avionics Traffic Warning Systems via the Flarm-Protocol and the Stratux European Edition supports this too... I use that with my Stratux and SKydemon and it seems to work...
Isn`t that the solution we are waiting for?

Yes, that certainly works. I use it too, but it has three drawbacks that makes it sub-optimal.
1. It is a far less capable protocol in general
2. It is slightly harder to configure, not out of the box (need to change IP and configure SD for "Flarm" instead of "GDL90", which states "Stratux" as compatible device. I don't want to change the default IP because of backwards compatibility to mainline Stratux).
3. most importantly, it doesn't support weather data for regions where it is available.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
I am trying to assemble a new Stratux for a club and am having a hard time getting AHRS.
It appears the original plug-in module is no longer available and a new production batch is still not on the market. As a replacement I got a GY-91 (the lilac board) which is supposed do the trick as it has the same sensors, but require some soldering and mounting challenge. Does anybody have a drawing for the preferred orientation of the MPU9250 chip - where is front, side, up - just in case the auto-alignement fails?

Edited 9/4/2020 10:06:54 AM by pilot-byom
b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)
pilot-byom - 9/4/2020 9:55:02 AM
I am trying to assemble a new Stratux for a club and am having a hard time getting AHRS.
It appears the original plug-in module is no longer available and a new production batch is still not on the market. As a replacement I got a GY-91 (the lilac board) which is supposed do the trick as it has the same sensors, but require some soldering and mounting challenge. Does anybody have a drawing for the preferred orientation of the MPU9250 chip - where is front, side, up - just in case the auto-alignement fails?

Alignment doesn't matter as long as it is fixed. The Alignment will be configured later (i.e. you have to place the Stratux front-side-up and hit a button, etc).

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
b3nn0 - 9/4/2020 10:19:50 AM
Alignment doesn't matter as long as it is fixed. The Alignment will be configured later (i.e. you have to place the Stratux front-side-up and hit a button, etc).

Thx!

pilot-byom
p
pilot-byom - 9/4/2020 10:25:07 AM

Thx!

One more question, are FLARM targets shown in the current EU20 distribution have changed symbol? I don't see any of these targets although Status OGN is green, antenna seems to work, Peak Messages stays Zero - are aircraft giving both 1090ES and 868OGN merged in the display and are Flarm targets still shown greenish in Status EU20? (Feature request: rename OGN to 868OGN on Status page for consistency with 1090ES)

Edited 9/5/2020 11:27:00 AM by pilot-byom
b3nn0
b
pilot-byom - 9/5/2020 11:05:24 AM
pilot-byom - 9/4/2020 10:25:07 AM

Thx!

One more question, are FLARM targets shown in the current EU20 distribution have changed symbol? I don't see any of these targets although Status OGN is green, antenna seems to work, Peak Messages stays Zero - are aircraft giving both 1090ES and 868OGN merged in the display and are Flarm targets still shown greenish in Status EU20? (Feature request: rename OGN to 868OGN on Status page for consistency with 1090ES)
all OGN received protocols will still be green, will be displayed on the traffic page and sent to EFBs via all supported protocols.
If the Peak stays 0, your Stratux doesn't receive anything. Either ther eis no OGN-compatible Target nearby, or something is wrong (broken antenna cable, broken SDR, misconfiguration, ... possibilities are endless and you will have to debug that yourself).

About your feature request: It's open source. Feel free to change it and create a pull request.

pilot-byom
p
b3nn0 - 9/5/2020 5:41:10 PM
all OGN received protocols will still be green, will be displayed on the traffic page and sent to EFBs via all supported protocols.
If the Peak stays 0, your Stratux doesn't receive anything. Either ther eis no OGN-compatible Target nearby, or something is wrong (broken antenna cable, broken SDR, misconfiguration, ... possibilities are endless and you will have to debug that yourself).

About your feature request: It's open source. Feel free to change it and create a pull request.

Just for information, I derived one possible reason for the Flarm receiver not working in home tests - suspect our neighborhood has too many smart home applications and the frequency is overloaded (some used Covid to turn their home into a simulation of itself). I took the Stratux running in the car while driving to the airfield and about a mile from our village it started receiving nearby OGN targets, coming back at about the same distance it stopped again.
Edited 9/6/2020 7:46:32 AM by pilot-byom
pilot-byom
p
Looks like we are only a small step from sending the flight plan route from Skydemon to Stratux and see the route there on the new map feature? Next would be to send out the full NMEA0183 waypoints sequence via RS232 ... ;-)

@Tim Dawson: Stratux is already connected as a Third Party Device, does the Export Flightplan Feature also work there, or must somebody do the fetch based on the IFD connector?
@b3nn0: Any idea of the effort to fetch the Avidyne'ish FPL and put the route on the map feature in StratuxFlarm? Maybe Marco @Schildaero can jump in and assist for the details as he did the Avidyne upload?

Edited 9/23/2020 2:46:16 PM by pilot-byom
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search