Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Stratux

Author
b
Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
joey - 7/9/2019 1:10:37 PM
b3nn0 - 6/15/2019 12:41:16 PM
There is a Stratux fork for the European market that is maintained by me and a few other developers, including FLARM and some other stuff. Based on latest official Stratux.
Downloads:

Thanks for pointing out this fork.
I currently own a Stratux consisting of the following components, as recommended on the stratux homepage:
Will this setup work to receive FLARM signals or do I have to buy a different USB radio? Asking because there is a post in this thread stating:
The v3 radio does not support FLARM at the moment since it requires a new firmware on the radio.

That is correct. The V3 radio will not work for FLARM reception for now, see also https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/blob/master/README.md
I'm will try to get my hands on a V3 radio some time in the future and will check if I can implement it, but when and if this will be done, I can not say yet (sadly, the Stratux store does not ship to Germany any more, so getting this here is a bit more tricky - but I'm working on it).

joey
joey
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
b3nn0 - 7/9/2019 1:20:56 PM
There is a Stratux fork for the European market that is maintained by me and a few other developers, including FLARM and some other stuff. Based on latest official Stratux.
Downloads:

I currently own a Stratux consisting of the following components, as recommended on the stratux homepage:
Will this setup work to receive FLARM signals or do I have to buy a different USB radio? Asking because there is a post in this thread stating:
The v3 radio does not support FLARM at the moment since it requires a new firmware on the radio.

That is correct. The V3 radio will not work for FLARM reception for now, see also https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/blob/master/README.md
I'm will try to get my hands on a V3 radio some time in the future and will check if I can implement it, but when and if this will be done, I can not say yet (sadly, the Stratux store does not ship to Germany any more, so getting this here is a bit more tricky - but I'm working on it).

Thank you for confirmation. Can you recommend a working radio (that can be delivered to Germany), i.e would this one be supported?

b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)
joey - 7/9/2019 1:28:30 PM
b3nn0 - 7/9/2019 1:20:56 PM
Downloads:

Thank you for confirmation. Can you recommend a working radio (that can be delivered to Germany), i.e would this one be supported?

I have not tested it personally, but anything RTL-SDR based should work fine, so yes, that should work.

Massimo Belloni
Massimo Belloni
Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)Too Much Forum (749 reputation)
I think there is a little confusion among the meaning of "V3" radio. 
There are 2 different receiver which does have the number "3" in their name, but I think they are quite different.
V3 radio looks to be a specific UAT radio, right now (AFAIK) available in US only (and, still right now, useless in Europe, see that there are no official UAT transmitter in the old continent. Maybe -if still active- the experimental transmitter set up by Garmin in Friedrichshafen in 2019, but I can't say for sure), but Nano Three should work for FLARM too.

=======================================================================
This looks to be the V3 radio:

This is the last version of the NOOELEC NESDR Nano 3 (which should work with FLARM), quite different from the above.

May b3nn0 (or anybody else who knows for sure how the things are going) confirm this, so that it will be easy to plan the Stratux parts procurement?

Regards,

Massimo Belloni

Edited 7/9/2019 5:03:32 PM by Massimo Belloni
joey
joey
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
Massimo Belloni - 7/9/2019 5:01:20 PM
I think there is a little confusion among the meaning of "V3" radio. 
There are 2 different receiver which does have the number "3" in their name, but I think they are quite different.
V3 radio looks to be a specific UAT radio, right now (AFAIK) available in US only (and, still right now, useless in Europe, see that there are no official UAT transmitter in the old continent. Maybe -if still active- the experimental transmitter set up by Garmin in Friedrichshafen in 2019, but I can't say for sure), but Nano Three should work for FLARM too.

This looks to be the V3 radio:

This is the last version of the NOOELEC NESDR Nano 3 (which should work with FLARM), quite different from the above.

May b3nn0 (or anybody else who knows for sure how the things are going) confirm this, so that it will be easy to plan the Stratux parts procurement?

Regards,

Correct, the picture on top is the V3 that does not seem to be supported.
I'll order the Nooelec and will report if it works.

joey
joey
Great news everyone, a brief ground-based test confirmed that the NooElec radio works to receive FLARM traffic in Skydemon!

The NooElec radio is however rather chunky, which made it a tight fit. See pictures.

My Stratux Setup consists of these components:

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Two things, get EU008 as current it is more stable and get the SDR cases off or you bake the circuit - NooElec plastic cases are no good for temps and are easily removed (split case) either the chunky metal ones.
Edited 7/23/2019 5:05:28 PM by MarkusM
Cloudwalker
C
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
Hello, 
Has anybody experience with Stratux on Rpi4B 4Gb?
Kind regards
Marc

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
Cloudwalker - 4/11/2020 3:17:33 PM
Hello, 
Kind regards
Marc

I just released my Github repository for Stratux Europe on a Pi4:
Feel free to test it, some experience with Raspbian Buster is required.
Furthermore it is helpful if you have already prepared the SDRs serial to something like:
"stx:1090:0" for ADSB and
"stx:868:0" for FLARM
Please keep in mind that this is work in progress, you should not rely on this for flying ...

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
TouchTheSky - 4/11/2020 3:48:58 PM
Cloudwalker - 4/11/2020 3:17:33 PM
Hello, 
Kind regards
Marc

I just released my Github repository for Stratux Europe on a Pi4:
Feel free to test it, some experience with Raspbian Buster is required.
Furthermore it is helpful if you have already prepared the SDRs serial to something like:
"stx:1090:0" for ADSB and
"stx:868:0" for FLARM
Please keep in mind that this is work in progress, you should not rely on this for flying ...

Thx a lot, that is good news for a next project!!

But, all be aware that the Pi4 is rather power hungry and on the edge of what makes sense to run on cigarette lighter power - you need steady 3 Amps to let the typical setup run stable and you are going USB-C, which is more in danger to do electrical noise compared to the Pi3.

Edited 4/11/2020 4:40:59 PM by MarkusM
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search