Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

IPad Wifi and No GPS Data

Author
jay_hl
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Yes Im up and running now. Had to try the work around a couple of times, but now my red light flashes about 1 a second. Im so happy. Time to use it for the first time this weekend!

Thanks for the replies guy. Appreciate it.

stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)
Group: Moderators
It's all moderately useless stuff so I wouldn't worry too much about turning it back on!

For the record, the only one I have turned off though is 'Automatically set time zone' - that fixed it for me. It also increased battery life.

The important thing is to make sure the location services arrow is not visible on the screen before you pair the bluetooth device. Turning the above stuff of just helps you take control of that.
jweitner
jweitner
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Good news. Skydemon is working perfect so is the data app! It worked excellent!

Your solution works Stevelup!

Many thanks for your help!

Now I am curious how everything will continue to work once I will put more Location services back to 'on'. We'll see!

Jay how is it going with your issue?
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)Too Much Forum (71K reputation)
It looks like you solved my problem! Many thanks! Really great!

I am curious if it will remain like this. I am flying tomorrow so let's see what happens!

Yay - good news. Let us know how you get on tomorrow!
Edited 5/28/2013 10:47:33 PM by stevelup
icare75
icare75
Too Much Forum (140 reputation)Too Much Forum (140 reputation)Too Much Forum (140 reputation)Too Much Forum (140 reputation)Too Much Forum (140 reputation)Too Much Forum (140 reputation)Too Much Forum (140 reputation)Too Much Forum (140 reputation)Too Much Forum (140 reputation)
Hi,

I did also have the same issue with an Ipad2 wifi and pairing a bluetooth DUAL XGPS150. It worked fine even in "airline mode" (and bluetooth switch in "on" mode) until I update to 6.1. I'm using my gps with Jepp FD and Skydemon simultaneously, with no bug. Then after the IOS update, everything went wrong. Neither, the Jepp FD or Sydemon's app were able to connect to the GPS. What i did is, delete all navigation apps on my ipad such as skydemon / Jepp FD / etc... as well as the Dual GPS Apps. Reboot my ipad and reinstall the apps. Now everything is back to normal.

PS: I did call apple on this matter, they have no issue, I'm pretty sure that's an IOS issue though
jweitner
jweitner
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
@ Stevelup

I am using version 6.1.3.

I did your tests and found that both the 'GPS data' and Skydemon are now working fine without wifi. The red dot is flickering multiple times per second. The GPS data is changing while moving and also the groundspeed in Skydemon and other variables show values.

I am curious if it will remain like this. I am flying tomorrow so let's see what happens!

Jan

jweitner
jweitner
@ Stevelup

I am using version 6.1.3.

I did your tests and found that both the 'GPS data' and Skydemon are now working fine without wifi. The red dot is flickering multiple times per second. The GPS data is changing while moving and also the groundspeed in Skydemon and other variables show values.

Jan

stevelup
stevelup
Possibly, but as long as you closed the app, the location services will have timed out by the time you get to the airfield.

I think the key point is - "don't connect your bluetooth if the little location services pointer is already visible"

That has made connections 100% reliable for me (Dual XGPS150)
PeteB
PeteB
Too Much Forum (437 reputation)Too Much Forum (437 reputation)Too Much Forum (437 reputation)Too Much Forum (437 reputation)Too Much Forum (437 reputation)Too Much Forum (437 reputation)Too Much Forum (437 reputation)Too Much Forum (437 reputation)Too Much Forum (437 reputation)
Thanks Steve.

Your theory would explain why the link to the external gps seems tempermenteral sometimes. I'll keep a watch out for the order I use things.

One other thing to look out for then - is for those who choose to keep their external gps on the aircraft. They are highly likely to have opened a weather app before leaving home. I guess it means getting into the habit of turning the iPad off....instead of just 'sleep' mode.
stevelup
stevelup
My suspicion is that if do something that accesses location services (such as checking the weather) before your external GPS is paired and working, then it doesn't always successfully take over and provide the data...

So, by turning off all the system services (which you have no control over), the odds are then in your favour that you can make sure your external unit is working before you need to use it.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search