Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

IPad Wifi and No GPS Data

Author
jay_hl
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have an iPad 2 wifi only and the full blown Sky Demon (with all the add ons). I think it's a fab piece of software for planning, but I'm having a nightmare with it in Nav mode.

I bought a bad elf pro (the separate device, not plug in) to provide Sky Demon with GPS data. It has a screen on the GPS unit so you can see the read out (which is good as an ultimate last resort and back up!).

I've connected the two via Bluetooth fine and used the Bad Elf app on the iPad to see the output of the GPS unit which works fine.

When I go into Sky Demon in "Go Flying" mode it shows as a red aircraft symbol which I understand means that GPS data is not being fed to Sky Demon at least once a second.

When I connect my ipad by wifi, the aircraft turns yellow and it seems to work and being provided by GPS data.

I have ensured that Location Services for Sky Demon are switched on.

I've searched the forums and tried various Privacy resets, and checking setting with no solution.

I'm desperate to get this sorted, so any help would be appreciated.
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Try:-

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services

Turn off 'Setting Time Zone', then reboot the iPad.
jay_hl
jay_hl
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Unfortunately no success.

Still have the green bar with "Seeking GPS Satellites" on Sky Demon, with GPS accuracy locked to 3 meters within the Bad Elf app!
jay_hl
jay_hl
I have also tried a friends Garmin Glo setup connected with my iPad, and I get the same "Seeking GPS Satellites" within Sky Demon.

I'm desperate to get this sorted, as the amazing weather is tempting my flying. Any ideas?
cct
cct
Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)
I am getting the same with an iPad mini & GNS 1000 external BT GPS.

Flying yesterday (solo so I couldnt play too much) the GNS was showing solid connection & solid GPS signal, but SD would not play ball and see it. I went back to planning mode and went flying without joy, and restarted the App. Only thing I didnt do was restart the iPad, which ISTR worked last time I used in the air.

Played a bit more at home, and got it showing, but each time I went 'Flying' it turned Red after about a minute - GNS still showing good fix.

location services are on, and I stay in Offline mode when flying.

ISTR the Windows version used to have a switch to allow use with less GPS accuracy, but I cannot find it on either the Windows or iPad version.

When flying, I had the GNS at the top RHS of the front windscreen on C150, so it should have had a good view of satellites. Here at home GPS Status shows it as a poor fix, but in that case why does it show OK, and then lose it?

This is with 2.6.3 of SD

Not sure what to do next...
Edited 5/26/2013 5:24:16 PM by cct
jweitner
jweitner
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Hello Jay,

I have exactly the same issue as you. I just purchased a full Skydemon license + Ipad mini + Garmin Glo for aviation and after disconnecting the wifi I get the green sign 'seeking GPS satellites' while at the same time the Garmin GPS says it has a fix. The aircraft position is unknown in the mean time. I tried a lot of different things to solve it but nothings seems to work. I am curious if you had any more luck in finding a solution. I also wrote an email to skydemon for assistance.

Thanks
Jan
jweitner
jweitner
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Hi Jay,

I found the solution in my case.

Take a look at this:
http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?supportPage=GLO&caseId=%7B3f8b3010-6b23-11e2-65d0-000000000000%7D&locale=en_US

Garmin provides this solution:

If you are using an iOS device and encounter a problem receiving location information from the Garmin GLO, please try these steps:

1. Go to the Settings app.
  2. Tap on "Privacy".
  3. Tap on "Location Services".
  4. Toggle the top row to "Off". This will turn off location services for all of your applications.
  5. Reboot your iPad (press-and-hold the top button for 5 seconds, slide the red slider to power off, wait 5 seconds, then press the top button to turn your iPad back on).
  6. Go back to the main iPad Settings app.
  7. Tap on "Privacy".
  8. Tap on "Location Services".
  9. Turn location services to "On". Also, make sure that location services are set to "On" for your Garmin application.

If you continue having problems, try leaving your iPhone/iPad connected to the Internet for a few hours (the screen can be off) after attempting the above steps. This should correct your Garmin GLO issues with your iPad.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks

Jan

jay_hl
jay_hl
Hi All

Thanks for the replies

I tried the steps of restarting the ipad with Location Services off, however I still have the Green Seeking GPS Satellites, no no further forwards!

Interestingly when I have it connected to WIFI at home, I get a yellow aircraft fix, as I believe the WIFI router at home is providing a GPS fix.

However, when I go into offline mode or turn WIFI off (still with Bluetooth on for the Bad Elf) I get the red aircraft symbol with no GPS fix.

This is driving me crazy now!
WinHern
WinHern
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Have you by any chance upgraded your OS?

When I upgraded to IOS6, SkyDemon stopped seeing my Dual GPS despite the Dual GPS software reporting everything OK. I deleted and reinstalled the Dual software, and hey-presto everything was working again.
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi

Please install this app and run it.

Does the red light blink once per second? If so, go for a wander outside and see if the course (not heading) changes.

This will check your Bad Elf is talking properly to iOS and that iOS is making that data available via location services.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search