Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Stratux

Author
p
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Paul_Sengupta - 1/29/2017 10:45:28 PM
Just tried it with the latest Sky Demon and I'm receiving traffic from my Stratux via the GDL-90 protocol and the default Stratux address of 192.168.10.1. Smile

That's correct for GDL-90, if you would use FLARM the stratux ip address needs to be 192.168.1.1 - it's a different way how the data will be provided.

crablab
c
Too Much Forum (254 reputation)Too Much Forum (254 reputation)Too Much Forum (254 reputation)Too Much Forum (254 reputation)Too Much Forum (254 reputation)Too Much Forum (254 reputation)Too Much Forum (254 reputation)Too Much Forum (254 reputation)Too Much Forum (254 reputation)
Hi, 

I‌'ve tried this with the specific version of Statux above, and using the GDL-90 data source on SkyDemon and I keep getting the "cannot connect" error.

A‌ny further information on how to get this to work?

T‌hanks, ‌
Paul_Sengupta
P
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
I think you're confusing the two.

T‌he standard Stratux works with GDL-90 and is now supported by Sky Demon.

P‌reviously the correct protocol and IP address for Stratux weren't supported, therefore the specific version above was mentioned which used the Flarm protocol, and also a method was po‌‌sted on how to put Stratux on the correct IP address for this.

I‌f you use the standard Stratux version now, all will be well.
‌‌
A‌s an aside, PilotAware also gives you Mode C and non-ADS-B Mode S bearingless detection, and it also has its own transceiver in it to broadcast to and detect other PilotAware units. I know in the UK they've sold over a thousand units and the more units out there, the greater the number of aircraft which can be seen using such a unit. I only have a Mode C transponder, no ADS-B.‌
DavidC
DavidC
Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)
I tried my Stratux receiver on a flight yesterday and it connected using the GDL90 protocol. While it did provide navigation (GPS) position data, none of the (many) aircraft it reported was visible onscreen. Once or twice, when I started up and reconnected, nearby aircraft were briefly shown (for about 2-3 seconds) then all disappeared.

I‌f I then connected to a PilotAware, many aircraft were visible.

I‌s there anything in the Stratux or SkyDemon configuration screen that is likely to be worth checking? I did have a wide altitude filter (up to 40,000 feet above/below) and this should apply to both devices.

M‌y Stratux is running the latest build and has both 978 and 1090MHz receivers, so should be ready for any trial of ADS-B uplink, and I'd really like to be able to try that out. I have found that worked quite well in the US with ForeFlight.‌

--- CPL/IR/FI based in South of England
ACW20
ACW20
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Hi DavidC I've just done exactly the same as you. My skydemon connects to the Stratux and is recieving navigational data. I've also set the traffic height band filter very wide, but I see no traffic on SD

neubamat
n
Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)
ACW20 - 9/15/2017 7:06:54 PM
Hi DavidC I've just done exactly the same as you. My skydemon connects to the Stratux and is recieving navigational data. I've also set the traffic height band filter very wide, but I see no traffic on SD

Traffic is shown in Avare with recent stratux builds, but not in SD. Last working version with traffic in SD is Stratux 1.3b2.

Starting with stratux 1.3 ahrs support was added and improved with later releases. Before 1.3b3 stratux sent gps altitude as pressure altitude if pressure alt wasn't available.‌‌ This was removed with 1.3b3 and pressure altitude is send as invalid. However, gps altitude is send correctly. It looks like SD relies on pressure alt. Connecting an MPU9250 with BMP280 should solve the issue (https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/wiki/All-About-AHRS). Otherwise SD should support using GPS alt if pressure alt isn't available (like other EFB).

Edited 10/2/2017 4:35:38 PM by neubamat
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
If a traffic device sends only GPS altitude and not pressure altitude, we could not possibly give advice on other traffic because we would have no way of determining their relative altitude.
neubamat
n
Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)Too Much Forum (572 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/4/2017 2:48:36 PM
If a traffic device sends only GPS altitude and not pressure altitude, we could not possibly give advice on other traffic because we would have no way of determining their relative altitude.

Thanks Tim, that's true. I think the proper way is to equip stratux devices at least with BMP280 sensors (~5€). I've ordered a MPU9250+BMP280 (~15€) that offers gyroscope, accelerometer, magnetic compass and pressure sensor.

rg
rg
Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)
I’ve installed the usb gps and Adsb dongles from pilot aware into a pi 3, installed stratus 1.2r2 and SkyDemon is displaying traffic from it. I’ll now order the Stratux dongles to try out this weather uplink from SD HQ. If it works well I’ll try and get one of those AHRS boards shipped from the states.
neubamat
n
Got my MPU9250+BMP280 module today and connected it to raspberry's GPIO pins. I'm seeing traffic in SD with the latest stratux release... as expected BigGrin
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search