Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Traffic Display

Author
mpatrickw
Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've waded through everything I can find online on the pros and cons of Powerflarm and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem to be the answer.  Much negative comment on how much traffic Powerflarm misses.  Not effective for Mode C returns I gather. I understand their logic in not trying to display location rather than relative height but without this and missing Mode C returns, what's the point?  It seems to have gone quiet on the possibility of Skydemon integration with Zaon?  I don't have any traffic warning kit and am ready to spend around £1k on a solution that really works on Skydemon and iPad mini, but can't see what is worth paying for right now.  I also don't really want a large black box on the coaming restricting forward view and it seems daft to have this when the goal is a display on the iPad.  I realise Powerflarm do the remote Core box, but unconvinced PF is the way to go.  So, is there a solution that displays traffic, inc Mode C, that returns accurate height and preferably relative bearing information that works?  Or is this an unrealistic expectation without conventional expensive certified kit?  I'd appreciate advice on what works with Skydemon and is available now.  Also, if the Zaon integration is under development and when it is likely to be available?  Is integration possible or likely with the Zaon MRX as this takes up less space in the cockpit?
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
The problem is that Zaon are dead, so doing any development would be to support a declining number devices.

There are no cheap Mode C solutions that can give position information. Even some expensive certified ones aren't much cop either!

The best bet is to wait for widespread adoption of Mode S I think!
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)
There is currently no kit which does what you want. Zeon went out of business so we will not be developing any integration with them.
The future is the widespread adoption of ADS/B traffic information. This will happen, and it means you get to hold on to your £1k for (at least) another few months. When it does happen, SkyDemon will have great support for it.
Mike@EDTG
Mike@EDTG
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
Folks,

a friend of mine uses this on from garmin with an ipad software. Traffic looks quite nice. ~800quid me think. But probably there is no SDK from garmin...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/aviation/avionics/ads-b/gdl-39-gdl-39r-gdl-39-3d/prod93601.html
mpatrickw
mpatrickw
Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)Too Much Forum (946 reputation)
Thanks for all the advice. I'll wait then! I'm about to do an avionics upgrade to my DA40 D installing an Aspen PFD pro and mode S with a BK KT74 chosen because it has ADS-B out. So I'm ready, just need the rest of the UK GA fleet to be pressed into Mode S. I don't want to rush to conventional certified traffic kit, when great solutions on portable devices, like Skydemon and iPad, are probably just around the corner.

GregInMI
GregInMI
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Hi,

I'm a US-based Skydemon subscriber and I was wondering if there were any plans to support ADS-B devices like the Dual Xgps170?  I see references to FLARM that appear to be an EU equivalent to ADS-B, but I don't see where it translates to anything I can find or get in the States.

Regards,
Greg

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
Hi,

How about the Garrecht TRX1500 (~1,000 quids) (http://www.air-avionics.com/air/index.php/en/products/collision-avoidance/trx-1500-the-flexible-collision-avoidance-system), which is capable of FLARM in/out and ADS/B in. ADS/B out can be achieved easily with a transponder installed.
With the help of AirConnect (~ 120 quids) data will be transmitted to your iPad via WiFi and traffic should be displayed on your SkyDemon moving map. So far my theory. Has anybody tried this configuration?
I haven't, couldn't convince the co-owner of my aircraft so far.

Best regards
Eric
Mike@EDTG
Mike@EDTG
GregInMI (11/16/2014)
Hi,

I'm a US-based Skydemon subscriber and I was wondering if there were any plans to support ADS-B devices like the Dual Xgps170?  I see references to FLARM that appear to be an EU equivalent to ADS-B, but I don't see where it translates to anything I can find or get in the States.

Regards,
Greg

Unfortunately TIS-B/FIS-B services are nonexistent in EU. The device is capable of receiving ADS-B direct from nearby Mode-S transponders, though. It´s portable & it´s already working with 3rd party software on IOS & Android.

sounds good

-mike

stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Are you sure? The spec says 978MHz only for ADS-B in which is the US UAT frequency.

ScottCondliffe
ScottCondliffe
Too Much Forum (251 reputation)Too Much Forum (251 reputation)Too Much Forum (251 reputation)Too Much Forum (251 reputation)Too Much Forum (251 reputation)Too Much Forum (251 reputation)Too Much Forum (251 reputation)Too Much Forum (251 reputation)Too Much Forum (251 reputation)
Is there no chance of integration with the Garmin GDL39?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search