Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Download all in one go

Author
s
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Tim, regarding the terms and conditions of the law, please read the AOPA Safety Letter 24, 2017 as specially the very last page. This ist the latest issued of AOPA Im sorry to beeing late, i had to search as well.

for your long description: Its possible the dont understand each other. I send you a example of ANP that you can see how easy it could be.

ANP reminds me in case that the database is not actual. There comes a Slider obave the main page. I can open a update window and the suggest is to update for example 14 Plates. However you do it as well. Yesterday i go in Airfields/All Dokuments/Tools/Download Product/ DFS German VFR AIP - 967 Plates, only 5 Plates has been downloaded. Ok you check the new plates, great!

Once again, i purchased your product 2 weeks ago and i cant test the function whil testing.

My suggestion. ( As owner an IT company with software developmen i know there is a different between the programmer and the designer). And my experience that unsolvable themes are maybe easy.

The solution: You Check in the software which Products and Countries are installed on the device. Then you check if a update is required. Thats all. I belive that SkyDemon Users not downlad all coutries worldwide.

You only nee one button in the Main Page/Airports scond Line under All Documents - check for update, depending on as i wrote before.

Thats all.

PS, this service is free of charge
siggi
s
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
......regarding the terms and conditions of the law, please read the AOPA Safety Letter 24, 2016 .......
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Please understand that an AOPA publication is not law. It is at best a recommendation. If, as it appears, they are recommending pilots on a course of action that isn't actually required by law, you may wish to mention it to them.

I already explained above why we will not be implementing the prototyped "update all plates I have ever downloaded" button. That is not a good enough solution, and it is a solution to a problem which needs further defining.

In the case of the German VFR AIP product, those plates are updated on a well-known schedule every 28 days. We could email customers of that product at that time, which would be one solution.

It is possible we could a‌utomatically download plates for airfields along your route, but it has the following disadvantages:

1. SkyDemon eats a lot of bandwidth without being asked to, potentially in an expensive way on 3/4G
2. You are no longer aware when certain documents have been updated‌‌‌
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Is there an option to automatically update if you're on wifi? Is there an option to have a warning that there are plates along your route that need to be updated, with a button to press to download all of them?

The latter in particular would certainly save a lot of time as it would avoid having to download entire AIPs or manually updating. e.g. I like to have all of UK installed, but really don't need *all* of Germany just because I pass through it on the way to Switzerland. The former could be something that appears at the top or bottom of the screen when planning, or potentially just a little red icon for plates and another for charts if you haven't updated those too.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
There is no option to automatically update plates. That has been the discussion of this entire four-page thread.

‌‌Plates that are out of date are highlighted in orange. That is the warning.

You can easily ensure all plates for your route are up to date by going to Tools -> Download all in List when you're looking at an airfield in the Airfields tab. ‌‌
neilmurg
neilmurg
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
Well worth doing if you're on a trip. Tim, could SD have a look at the storage needed available and say something like 'This will consume 20%/50%/300% of your available disk space'?
neilmurg
neilmurg
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
Plate download
Dear Skydemon, I use an Android tablet, iPad mini form factor, no SIMM
I try to remember before I go flying to connect to my phone WiFiAP (to get METAR / plates  / updates) but if I don't SD, has only what it had 2 hours ago at home (if I did my plan at home). I also use PAw, and its WiFi has no internet connection, but is an extra pair of eyes.
I know this is user specific, I could have a SIMM equipped tablet etc etc, but it would be useful for me if, when I said 'Go Flying' SD told me how old it's data was, and gave me an opportunity to update (connect to an AP/WiFi). And then download updated METAR, plates (and other plates on a narrow route brief?).
tbh, I should have already sorted this out before I started the engine, but, you've made it so easy to go flying, so, one more wafer thin mint????
neilmurg
neilmurg
[quote]
neilmurg - 8/8/2020 12:22:34 AM
C'mon! The 'Waffer thin mint' is worth a reply on it;s own! atb

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
This thread is old, and since 2017 there is now an option to keep plates associated with airfields in your route downloaded automatically.
Chris_LSZO
Chris_LSZO
Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/10/2020 9:20:36 AM
This thread is old, and since 2017 there is now an option to keep plates associated with airfields in your route downloaded automatically.

But that doesn't help if you're planning a route without a connection to the internet.
Example: I plan a route at home, have an internet connection and all maps were downloaded automatically. Very nice.
But later on this day at a airport or somewhere without internet connenction I plan a new route and then I don't have any approach charts if they are out of date. Not nice!
If Skydemon had already downloaded ALL the outdated maps at home, there would be no problems later on.
Therefore, I am in favor of Skydemon either automatically downloading all outdated approach charts or starting the download via a central button.
As it is now, the situation is pretty unsatisfactory ...

Chris

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search