Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Download all in one go

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If you anticipate having no means of connecting to the internet, we offer the option to download an entire AIP.

If you want SkyDemon to always download entire AIPs to your device, whenever it can, whenever they're updated, then sorry, we will not be offering that.

Chris_LSZO
Chris_LSZO
Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/24/2020 12:11:55 PM
If you anticipate having no means of connecting to the internet, we offer the option to download an entire AIP.

If you want SkyDemon to always download entire AIPs to your device, whenever it can, whenever they're updated, then sorry, we will not be offering that.

I am not asking only for an automatic update function, but also for a central button that updates all AIP and VAC. At the moment, the update of all AIP and VAC requires countless clicks...
Perfect would be a message after startup: Attention, there are updates for AIP / VAC available (like for the charts). Then you tap the button and all would be up-to-date.
Keep in mind: If Skydemon only downloads the minor changes every few days, these are very small amounts of data compared to the entire AIP.

Chris

Edited 8/24/2020 3:08:18 PM by Chris_LSZO
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Hardly a day goes by without updates to such documents, so I don't think we'd be thanked for such a prompt.

Since the option to automatically download all plates for your planned route was implemented, we're really talking about a very edge case now that keeps documents updated that the user may very well not care about. It's a potential massive waste of bandwidth and resources.

Chris_LSZO
Chris_LSZO
Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.5K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/25/2020 8:32:39 AM
Hardly a day goes by without updates to such documents, so I don't think we'd be thanked for such a prompt.

Since the option to automatically download all plates for your planned route was implemented, we're really talking about a very edge case now that keeps documents updated that the user may very well not care about. It's a potential massive waste of bandwidth and resources.

Tim, again: I am not asking only for an automatic update function, but also for a central button that updates all AIP and VAC. At the moment, the update of all AIP and VAC requires countless clicks...
So please forget for the moment the automatic update and let's talk about this "magic" button.

Chris

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Chris_LSZO - 8/26/2020 11:06:52 AM

Tim, again: I am not asking only for an automatic update function, but also for a central button that updates all AIP and VAC. At the moment, the update of all AIP and VAC requires countless clicks...
So please forget for the moment the automatic update and let's talk about this "magic" button.

Chris
Does this ‘button’ not exist?

I keep the AIPs for all countries of current interest locally on the iPad.

Airfield tab > ‘National AIPs’ button > Download icon (top right’ > ‘Yes’ to pop-up. 

Chris_LSZO
Chris_LSZO
grahamb - 8/26/2020 11:42:58 AM

Chris

Airfield tab > ‘National AIPs’ button > Download icon (top right’ > ‘Yes’ to pop-up. 

You have to download the VACs seperately.
The AIP ist not so important for me. But to notice in the cockpit that the VAC is outdated and is therefore not displayed is really annoying.
My wish: Popup after start the programm "VAC outdated" - Button "update all" and everything is fine and never you will have this issue. Simply the same like for the charts.

Chris

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Chris_LSZO - 8/26/2020 2:57:57 PM
grahamb - 8/26/2020 11:42:58 AM

Chris

You have to download the VACs seperately.
The AIP ist not so important for me. But to notice in the cockpit that the VAC is outdated and is therefore not displayed is really annoying.
My wish: Popup after start the programm "VAC outdated" - Button "update all" and everything is fine and never you will have this issue. Simply the same like for the charts.

Chris

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Which country's VACs? Unless they are purchased as a separate package, surely the VACs get downloaded as part of the AIP for a given country or at least they do in my experience.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
VACs are indeed part of an AIP, they will be included in any bulk download.
Chris_LSZO
Chris_LSZO
grahamb - 8/26/2020 5:31:09 PM

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Which country's VACs? Unless they are purchased as a separate package, surely the VACs get downloaded as part of the AIP for a given country or at least they do in my experience.

Switzerland for example, here (and in Germany) you have to buy them.
After Airfields -> All Documents -> Tools -> Download all AIP they are NOT updated. You have to update them seperately.
After download all AIPs:

After download VFR-Package:

Again (and again... maybe I speak chinese): Please implement the same check for the VAC like for the general charts. VAC are important! Start Skydemon, Skydemon detect outdated VAC's, a box pop up "Outdated VAC found, want to update all YES / NO". If tap yes, all are updated. Easy, whats the problem?
To download only few plates during plan a flight IF you have internet is not the final solution. More then once I has plan a flight somewhere without internet and during approach the destination airfield I see no VAC. Very nice. Sad(

Chris

Edited 8/28/2020 8:13:36 PM by Chris_LSZO
grahamb
grahamb
Chris_LSZO - 8/28/2020 8:00:56 PM
grahamb - 8/26/2020 5:31:09 PM

Switzerland for example, here (and in Germany) you have to buy them.
After Airfields -> All Documents -> Tools -> Download all AIP they are NOT updated. You have to update them seperately.
After download all AIPs:

After download VFR-Package:

Again (and again... maybe I speak chinese): Please implement the same check for the VAC like for the general charts. VAC are important! Start Skydemon, Skydemon detect outdated VAC's, a box pop up "Outdated VAC found, want to update all YES / NO". If tap yes, all are updated. Easy, whats the problem?
To download only few plates during plan a flight IF you have internet is not the final solution. More then once I has plan a flight somewhere without internet and during approach the destination airfield I see no VAC. Very nice. Sad(

Chris

I still don’t see why it’s a problem to manually download the whole SkyGuide or DFS VFR package in one go at each AIRAC cycle at the same time as doing the AIPs. It will update all the out of date plates in one go. We’re talking a couple of button pushes each every every four weeks, hardly a problem. 

It’s what I do with the UK Pooleys add-on (and the DFS, Irish and Italian ones when I’ve purchased them in the past).

Edited 8/28/2020 8:59:35 PM by grahamb
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search