Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Download all in one go

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Siggi, please provide evidence that there is a legal requirement in Germany for carriage of any AIP.
siggi
s
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 5/11/2017 2:27:10 PM
Siggi, please provide evidence that there is a legal requirement in Germany for carriage of any AIP.

Tim, regarding AOPA and EASA is the Pilot bound to make a flightplan with "as sure" actual Approach Charts. And i repeat myself, i bought a Packet Charts for one Year, and i think they are every time actual. Until now we spoke about it, how to actual it in easy way. 

‌‌I have a 2nd IOS-APP from ANP and the guys from ANP have no Problem the "only German AIPs" have up to date. Show the following 2 Pics. 

siggi
s
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)

jfw
jfw
Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 5/11/2017 2:06:07 PM
After a discussion with colleagues today I am not at all sure we will ship the feature prototyped above. What it would mean is that any plate you have EVER downloaded, for any airfield at any point (maybe for a flying holiday to a country you'll never visit again) is downloaded every time you press the button.‌‌ What a waste. I am sure we can do better.

Humm... I was  hapy by the  proposed prototype.  At the other hand, when reading your post above, I do understand your point as well.
Maybe having the possibility to view all documents that have been downloaded in one scree, where you can choose to delete them of update them would be a solution. At least you have an overview all the documents in one place ‌‌and you do not have to go through airfield to check & update the document.

Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Another alternative might be to automatically check for plates along the planned flight coridoor and download them as well as any specified alternates. Coridoor width could either be user-defined, a product of the aircraft speed (since faster aircraft have more range options for diversions), a product of the route length, or a product of the number of available airfields along the route (e.g. If you're somewhere remote, the nearest possible diversions may be beyond the range of the selected coridoor). Personally, a default of 100nm (50 each side of the planned route) would be good for the speed and range I tend to fly - i.e. about 20-30mins of flight.

This would also avoid having to download an entire AIP for a country just to be sure you capture all possible diversions, therefore saving both bandwidth and device storage.
Rogerthedodger
R
Too Much Forum (940 reputation)Too Much Forum (940 reputation)Too Much Forum (940 reputation)Too Much Forum (940 reputation)Too Much Forum (940 reputation)Too Much Forum (940 reputation)Too Much Forum (940 reputation)Too Much Forum (940 reputation)Too Much Forum (940 reputation)
Tim - some observations on "Download Product" -
1‌) It seems a little clunky getting to the update action - Open Airfields Tab, Click All Documents, Click on the Tools menu, Select Download Product, Select Pooleys - although I get there in the end I never manage to intuitively follow the right actions.
2‌) After say downloading Pooleys, it returns me back to the All Documents list and I have to repeat most of the actions again to get to update my next product (AFE UK). ‌I had expected it to return me to the Download Product menu showing me Pooleys and AFE meaning I am ready to update the next product with one click.
3‌) Whenever I load up SkyDemon I am maybe expecting everything to be updated ready to plan/go flying. I believe this happens by prompting me for new software updates and new chart updates, but there is no prompt for 'Product' updates. Maybe a simple 'Update Products?' prompt could be introduced which if I accept would then update my Pooleys and AFE all in one go would save the navigation required in point 1 above. Or maybe a setting in setup that I can set to always update products whenever I load SkyDemon

T‌his is all fairly cosmetic but given the polish that SkyDemon already achieves maybe some cosmetic improvements could be considered.‌ I would be interested in how you see this. Many thanks.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Siggi, there is no point showing us another product which delivers the automatic-update feature you are looking for. If you get the feature you're looking for from another product, great! Your problem has therefore been solved. We will not be making any changes to SkyDemon based upon your incorrect assertion that you need the entire German VFR AIP present with you during flight.

On a more general level, I am sympathetic to the desire to know that a product you have purchased (as opposed to a national AIP) is downloaded and available offline. We are considering options for this, including the simple option of emailing subscribers to a particular product whenever it is updated. That will then serve as a prompt for those users who like to download the whole thing (for whatever reason) to do so.

As for the issue of some people wanting an entire national AIP cached on their device, we simply‌‌ don't understand the problem enough to come up with a solution. There's no legal requirement for it, and SkyDemon was never designed to be a repository to hold all AIP documents offline on a device. For Europe they currently total 11gb. ‌‌If the problem is wanting to know when regulations for an airfield have been updated (for example) then SkyDemon downloading everything automatically will certainly not help. Indeed, the orange "available but out of date" indicator is exactly what you need when preparing your flights to prompt you to read the new document.
jfw
jfw
Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)
Tim,

‌I understand your point regarding the complete AIP. In my case what I am looking at is at an easy way to update the documents I have on my device (turn the orange plates/documents in green) in an easy step. Currently (unless I missed something) I have to do this airfield by airfield. which is quite cumbersome.

‌‌
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
What about a warning that there are updates to be downloaded along your route?
siggi
s
Tim, regarding the terms and conditions of the law, please read the AOPA Safety Letter 24, 2017 as specially the very last page. This ist the latest issued of AOPA Im sorry to beeing late, i had to search as well.

for your long description: Its possible the dont understand each other. I send you a example of ANP that you can see how easy it could be.

ANP reminds me in case that the database is not actual. There comes a Slider obave the main page. I can open a update window and the suggest is to update for example 14 Plates. However you do it as well. Yesterday i go in Airfields/All Dokuments/Tools/Download Product/ DFS German VFR AIP - 967 Plates, only 5 Plates has been downloaded. Ok you check the new plates, great!

Once again, i purchased your product 2 weeks ago and i cant test the function whil testing.

My suggestion. ( As owner an IT company with software developmen i know there is a different between the programmer and the designer). And my experience that unsolvable themes are maybe easy.

The solution: You Check in the software which Products and Countries are installed on the device. Then you check if a update is required. Thats all. I belive that SkyDemon Users not downlad all coutries worldwide.

You only nee one button in the Main Page/Airports scond Line under All Documents - check for update, depending on as i wrote before.

Thats all.

PS, this service is free of charge
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search