Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Import Custom User Charts

Author
Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can you make an option to upload georeferenced charts into SD just like in ForeFlight?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
We have no plans to introduce custom georeferenced charts in SkyDemon. It isn't an often-requested feature, and we judge the complexity it would add to the product to be not worth it.
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/9/2021 4:22:29 PM
We have no plans to introduce custom georeferenced charts in SkyDemon. It isn't an often-requested feature, and we judge the complexity it would add to the product to be not worth it.

I am sorry to hear that! It may not have been mentioned often, but it would solve some shortcomings.

If the custom data airfields simply would get a Plate ID to its ICAO code in the Plates index.xml and the possibility to add a PDF with your simple ReferencePoint mechanics it would be all needed - it would be 'just another airfield as any other'. GeoRef'ing in Skydemon does not look particularly complicated on the PC in the end, see the quick GoogleEarth overlay shot below:

(For the PC tinkerer: pull C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Divelements Limited\SkyDemon Plan\Plates\index.xml, look for the PlateID of the airfield, understand the georeferencing by the readable definition of the box on the pdf and some reference points, change the <PlateID>.pdf to whatever you want, save. Yes, I know there are some functions to do as well to add custom data this way, but why not add a country = customlands ?)

Edited 2/10/2021 12:09:10 PM by pilot-byom
Amir Parsian
Amir Parsian
Too Much Forum (51 reputation)Too Much Forum (51 reputation)Too Much Forum (51 reputation)Too Much Forum (51 reputation)Too Much Forum (51 reputation)Too Much Forum (51 reputation)Too Much Forum (51 reputation)Too Much Forum (51 reputation)Too Much Forum (51 reputation)
I have tried this before, the only thing is that it resets the index file each time you open SKD so you must enter the codes again and again, also it is a bit little tricky to make the x,y values right for your custom plate. 

I agree, a custom feature to add the plates would definitely make life easier BigGrin

Edited 2/11/2021 8:09:22 AM by Amir Parsian
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
There's no supported way of achieving this in SkyDemon. Tinkering with undocumented bits of our functionality isn't sustainable.
jbmoens
j
Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)

Tim,
I can't speak for how many users would require it, but I know a few in my network at least. Besides, other apps are already providing the feature which might be an indication of value to the users.

A first version limited to PDF documents only might help probe the user interest for the feature. In my mind, it would require the following:
1. SD to make public what file and data format is to be used for geo-referencing PDF documents (must already exist in SD)
2. SD to extend the current geo-rendering to user PDF documents (hopefully minimal dev effort as the feature already exists for AIP and commercial plates like Pooley's or AFE)
3. A tool to be made available for users to geo-reference their documents (happy to provide such a tool if needed)

The geo-reference info could be described in XML (same as the existing format) in a separate file to be uploaded to the app with the same name as that of the document but with a different extension. Alternatively (but more complex), it could be zipped with the PDF file or written in a user field of the PDF document.

I believe it would unlock a lot of possibilities for more savvy SD users, especially for IFR flights.

Edited 2/15/2021 1:20:19 PM by jbmoens
Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)
jbmoens - 2/15/2021 1:02:47 PM

Tim,
I can't speak for how many users would require it, but I know a few in my network at least. Besides, other apps are already providing the feature which might be an indication of value to the users.

A first version limited to PDF documents only might help probe the user interest for the feature. In my mind, it would require the following:
1. SD to make public what file and data format is to be used for geo-referencing PDF documents (must already exist in SD)
2. SD to extend the current geo-rendering to user PDF documents (hopefully minimal dev effort as the feature already exists for AIP and commercial plates like Pooley's or AFE)
3. A tool to be made available for users to geo-reference their documents (happy to provide such a tool if needed)

The geo-reference info could be described in XML (same as the existing format) in a separate file to be uploaded to the app with the same name as that of the document but with a different extension. Alternatively (but more complex), it could be zipped with the PDF file or written in a user field of the PDF document.

I believe it would unlock a lot of possibilities for more savvy SD users, especially for IFR flights.

I couldn't agree more! 👍

lhe
lhe
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
Tim,

I second that!

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)

Tim,

+1

mats82
mats82
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
+1
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search