Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Freeze during flight - IPad mini

Author
redant
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Skydemon version (2.6.3) Full subscription on IPad mini.

On our way to Aero Expo on Sunday, heading SE and just south (10 miles approx) of the Isle of Man, the Skydemon aircraft symbol stopped, turned red (it was yellow) and pointed north. A message to the effect Route ended (or lost or closed, can't quite remember) and another stated that it had stopped logging. I turned Skydemon off and back on - didn't help, I then turned the IPad off and back on again but still no luck. About 10 minutes later it started working again and did so without incident for the remaining 5 hours of flying that day .

What was interesting - another Skydemon working on a colleague's IPad (not mini) had no problems.

I talked to the Skydemon guys at the Expo who were very helpful. It was suggested that my IPad had temporarily lost the satellite signal and had difficulty regaining it as it would normally use a wireless signal to help the initial acquisition. I wondered if the very small distance in positioning/shading between my colleague's IPad (front RHS lap) and mine (rear LHS lap in C172) could make such a difference? Or does the IPad mini have an inferior built in sat nav system? Or, is it a Skydemon version problem (2.6.3).

I know that I can add an external sat nav receiver to the IPad, assuming that the problem is sat signal related, would this addition improve performance?

Appreciate any advice!

Cheers,
Redant
Neils
Neils
Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)
I had the same problem yesterday evening exactly as described. I use a Dual Electronics XGPS150 so was not expecting this problem. After I got home I tried tried again. Skydemon found me, showed a yelow aircraft which then turned red and only went back to yellow if I "stopped navigating" and then went flying. it repeated this every time. The Dual GPS app showed satellites and a position. I will go home this evening and reboot the ipad to see if that is the cause and will post if the problem is solved. Needless to say I am concerned since I was relying on the ipad as the primary Nav tool, Fortunately I was local and could go back to the chart and find my way home but when you are solo that is the last thing you need.

Will post if the reboot sorts out the problem. Hope the guys at Sky Demon read these posts as certainty on the ipad is key to the product.

Neils
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi

Unless I've misread what you've written, your problem is completely different to the original posters one.

He has an iPad Mini with built-in GPS and experienced a drop out in flight.

You've got an iPad Mini WiFi only with external GPS and can't get yours to connect at all (the aircraft icon just goes red and stays that way).

First thing to do is completely disregard the Dual app. This gets data directly from the device, not via location services so it does not prove that anything is working properly.

The advice I gave below on another thread worked for everyone concerned, so please try it:-

Download and install this app. Run it once.

Go into Bluetooth and 'forget' your device

Privacy > Location Services and turn off Find My iPad
Privacy > Location Services > System Services and turn everything off except Status Bar Icon
Privacy > Location Services and double check that SkyDemon and GPS Data are definitely ON

Hard reboot your device (press and hold Volume + Home together until you see the Apple logo)

When the unit boots back up, confirm that the Location Services icon is not present in the status bar. If it appears, you missed something above.

Re-add the GPS device via Bluetooth menu

Open the GPS Data app I linked to above (do not open the Dual app). You should see the location services icon appear in the status bar, and hopefully get a flashing red dot.

What I have found (and this is entirely theoretical) is that if one of the system services tries to access location data before your bluetooth device is connected, then it just doesn't work.
Neils
Neils
Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)Too Much Forum (358 reputation)
Your proposal worked a treat, I think as I have only tested it on the ground and stationary.

I didn't need to download the app you suggested but I did need to stop any app on my ipad trying to talk to the GPS. I did turn off all location services and then rebooted.

Your rationale for the problem is perfectly rational but is does make me wonder how I can stop the issue recurring.

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

Aside from this glitch sky demon is an amazing piece of kit which takes a lot of stress out of navigation but the problem reminded me to keep up to speed on the time honoured old fashioned navigation techniques involving charts, lines and eyes. Glad I was reminded in my home area where there are so many landmarks (like the Isle of Wight) its tricky to get truly lost.

Cheers
CAB825
CAB825
Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)
Hi All,

Just a quick note that I had similar issues today. Ipad mini with a Dual XGPS 150E and Skydemon 2.6.3 that is.

Route was all set and hit Go flying on the taxi out and was not until I was in the air that I noticed that a pop up had appeared saying seeking GPS (or something to that effect).

Continued with the flight just as Neils did and tried to get it back up and running. Shut down Sky Demon, shut down dual app, disconnected Bluetooth, and finally a full reboot of the Ipad set it straight.

As you can imagine this is quite painful to have to do in flight when solo.

This was only the the third time I have used Skydemon, the first two were 3 hour flights were it worked a treat navigating through France and the endless fields followed by a village then another village and yet another village that all become a blur after a while. It really is an amazing piece of kit for the price.

Hopefully the tech's at Skydemon are reading these and can offer some concrete advice, will give stevelup's recommendation a go for the time being.

All the best.

Chris
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Hi

If you follow my suggestions, I can all but guarantee the problem will go away. Give it a whirl.

The vital action is to make sure no system services try and access your location data before you have paired the GPS.

Steve
stevelup
stevelup
Neils (06/06/2013)
I didn't need to download the app you suggested but I did need to stop any app on my ipad trying to talk to the GPS. I did turn off all location services and then rebooted.

Just to be clear - the app I suggested isn't part of the solution. It's just a very quick way of being 100% sure your GPS is talking to the iPad properly before you start rolling along the runway.

If that red light is blinking once per second, you can be assured that SkyDemon will also work correctly.
Jaycee46
Jaycee46
Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)
I've been using SD (this story relates to the previous version) on the i pad mini with a Garmin Glo. All works fine, most of the time.

I had an issue where everything was connected, all the correct lights were on, but the Garmin would not talk to S.D. This had not been a problem on the ground. We were in the air at the time, so my buddy flew the aircraft while I switched everything off and back on again - standard practice it seems for all SNAFU tech! Still no joy, then I realised that we had both left our phones on, with the bluetooth activated. Disabled the bluetooth on the phones, and it immediately started working properly, and has not faltered since.

I'm sure somebody with a better tech knowledge than me could explain this one, but it did work, and leaving the bluetooth on, on the phones is, I would suggest, pretty common, and may be part of the problem related here, by others.
stevelup
stevelup
Have you at some point connected the Glo to either of the phones?

It can only talk to one device at a time, so with two phones and your iPad, it is pot luck which one it would have connected to.

If this is the case, there's no need to turn Bluetooth off on your phones, but you must remove the Glo from the list of connected devices on everything except your iPad.
guille
guille
Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)
redant (04/06/2013)
Skydemon version (2.6.3) Full subscription on IPad mini.

On our way to Aero Expo on Sunday, heading SE and just south (10 miles approx) of the Isle of Man, the Skydemon aircraft symbol stopped, turned red (it was yellow) and pointed north. A message to the effect Route ended (or lost or closed, can't quite remember) and another stated that it had stopped logging. I turned Skydemon off and back on - didn't help, I then turned the IPad off and back on again but still no luck. About 10 minutes later it started working again and did so without incident for the remaining 5 hours of flying that day .

What was interesting - another Skydemon working on a colleague's IPad (not mini) had no problems.

I talked to the Skydemon guys at the Expo who were very helpful. It was suggested that my IPad had temporarily lost the satellite signal and had difficulty regaining it as it would normally use a wireless signal to help the initial acquisition. I wondered if the very small distance in positioning/shading between my colleague's IPad (front RHS lap) and mine (rear LHS lap in C172) could make such a difference? Or does the IPad mini have an inferior built in sat nav system? Or, is it a Skydemon version problem (2.6.3).

I know that I can add an external sat nav receiver to the IPad, assuming that the problem is sat signal related, would this addition improve performance?

Appreciate any advice!

Cheers,
Redant

I would like to find an answer to this post as I also use an Ipad mini with internal GPS, all the answers concern a different problem.

Cheers,
Guille
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search