Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Freeze during flight - IPad mini

Author
goaround
Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Had SD for just over year, full subscription, having tried the 30 day trial in 2012 to Corsica (and back) Just superb

Just before setting out on the 2013 flight (7th June to 15th June, around europe, PA28) I updated to version 2.7.0 on Ipad 2.

All was great, planning the whole route, plates, airport info from the AIP's. you name it. So to get to the subject of freezes.

Routing from Gdansk to Krakow with most of the leg complete, the aircraft symbol jumps abruptly to the left and logging stops. Restarting SD on the "Home Button" several times produced a tracking 180 degrees out. Rebooted Ipad and situation normal, so the last 40 miles no problem. Just as well, as the weather was in a grumpy mood w00t

Later in the week I had several "freezes" and the only way to recover seems be to reboot the Ipad, sometimes twice or more. The freezing seems to occur in concentrated batches ( once I had five in short order) but once you achieve an Ipad reboot, things settle down. I do not recall there being a "lost satellite reception" warning.

As this is the first time I have encountered this problem, I thought it might be just ver 2.7.0 but it looks not, from earlier posts. At the moment I am not sure if it is a SD or Ipad problem

Since then, no repeat of the problem, but flying somewhat less hours at the moment.

PS , I do operate a Garmin 296 just in case, but not in the same class as SD
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
What you described is either a problem with your iPad or with your external GPS receiver, if you have one.
CAB825
CAB825
Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)Too Much Forum (759 reputation)
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your recommendations, I did give it a go and the app you recommended is very useful to confirm connectivity, using it all the time now.

At the end of the day its a shame to have to disable a bunch other services just to get one going. As apps are added the services are coming back online (by choice I know) so I find myself doing a hard reboot before each flight (out of wifi coverage or wifi turned off) which gets it going.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search