SkyDemon Forums

Freeze during flight - IPad mini

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic9510.aspx

By redant - 6/4/2013 9:12:27 AM

Skydemon version (2.6.3) Full subscription on IPad mini.

On our way to Aero Expo on Sunday, heading SE and just south (10 miles approx) of the Isle of Man, the Skydemon aircraft symbol stopped, turned red (it was yellow) and pointed north. A message to the effect Route ended (or lost or closed, can't quite remember) and another stated that it had stopped logging. I turned Skydemon off and back on - didn't help, I then turned the IPad off and back on again but still no luck. About 10 minutes later it started working again and did so without incident for the remaining 5 hours of flying that day .

What was interesting - another Skydemon working on a colleague's IPad (not mini) had no problems.

I talked to the Skydemon guys at the Expo who were very helpful. It was suggested that my IPad had temporarily lost the satellite signal and had difficulty regaining it as it would normally use a wireless signal to help the initial acquisition. I wondered if the very small distance in positioning/shading between my colleague's IPad (front RHS lap) and mine (rear LHS lap in C172) could make such a difference? Or does the IPad mini have an inferior built in sat nav system? Or, is it a Skydemon version problem (2.6.3).

I know that I can add an external sat nav receiver to the IPad, assuming that the problem is sat signal related, would this addition improve performance?

Appreciate any advice!

Cheers,
Redant
By CAB825 - 7/29/2013 2:46:20 PM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your recommendations, I did give it a go and the app you recommended is very useful to confirm connectivity, using it all the time now.

At the end of the day its a shame to have to disable a bunch other services just to get one going. As apps are added the services are coming back online (by choice I know) so I find myself doing a hard reboot before each flight (out of wifi coverage or wifi turned off) which gets it going.