Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Autopilot + COM freq. over BT to RS232

Author
v
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all, there has been a lot of discussions about this, but never resulted in any way.
Is it possible, somehow, to get out from SkyDemon over bluetooth to RS232 converter some data?
From my current Aera 760 i have over serial port connected autopilot and Trig radio so Aera can feed AP with planned track and when i click on airfields com freq it sets stand by freq. But, it is Garmin and their weird navigation point stupid names, airfields without names and so on...

This will be nice to have on SkyDemon, are there some possibilities?
Vitek

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The trouble is, common phones and tablets do not have an RS232 port. The only solution is wireless and there's no common device in use by people to accommodate this. It's for this reason, and the fact this doesn't seem to be a widely-wanted feature, that we haven't been able to do this development at this stage.
vikino
v
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/1/2023 9:53:32 AM
The trouble is, common phones and tablets do not have an RS232 port. The only solution is wireless and there's no common device in use by people to accommodate this. It's for this reason, and the fact this doesn't seem to be a widely-wanted feature, that we haven't been able to do this development at this stage.

Hello, the best usable solution for me, as an IT guy, seems Bluetooth to RS232 converter, android and even apple can work with bluetooth serial port and both can connect to more than one device at the same time. Wifi is not good in this case, like stratux and all others running over wifi, tablet routes internet default to wifi instead of LTE, than you need to route it on stratux thru lte modem and so on...
But BT it solution for this, allready tested to send freq on my lab connection from phone to BT-RS232 to Garmin SL30, works great...
I know about many peoples who would appreciate this feature, as AVmap or Garmin navigations with serial out are terrible for planning and operating, in compare do SD...

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Yes, I agree a Bluetooth connection would make sense, if there was one device that pilots were adopting that we could work with and support. As it is, there seem to be dozens of devices all doing a similar thing.
Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Point taken regards variety of bt/serial hardware but lots of clever users in community to play in this area provided the software talks bt- does it, or could it?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
It could.
Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Ha, suppose I set myself up for that…. So will you schedule development?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
No, not until there is a device with widespread uptake in the community that we can actually develop with. We can't just "support Bluetooth" without a known device to develop and test with.
vikino
v
Well...

I have tested theese BT-RS232 modules a lot by my self, it works great with Dynon EFIS-D100 + AP74 autopilot and Trig TY96 COM radio, also without any issue with KRT2 COM radio. You just need to "match" baudrate to 4800 or 9600bps, that should do in this case SkyDemon, afterwards it works like a charm, no drop outs with Samsung tablets or my phone Samsung S23 Ultra.
And all another BT to RS232 work in the same way like this one, all are in the phone as bluetooth com port, all this seems to me much easier and more stable than 3rd party devices which are connected over wifi. Not talking about that you kill your internal data sim when connected to wifi of "ADAHRS" and so on...

This will just work perfectly.

Btw., with this, you can go to compleete system, because when you connect to this serial converter also Garrecht TRX1500 (for example), you can use SkyDemon as traffic display - by using GTX TIS protocol over that single BT-RS232 module.
In the same way i have it with Garmin AERA 760, but planning a route is terrible on that device, but Garmin has built in RS232...

Edited 8/4/2023 8:08:11 PM by vikino
vikino
v
Or maybe more user and installation friendly is IRXON BT578 v3 or BT580, they work with Apple and Android well...
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search