Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon and SkyEcho 2

Author
Alf
Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
TouchTheSky - 6/5/2019 6:32:29 PM
tnowak - 6/5/2019 8:04:40 AM
Hi Alf,

I also fly a vintage aircraft with no electrical system.
However I do have a Trig TT21 transponder with ADS-B out connection, Trig TY91 8.33 VHF radio and also a Horis 80 AHRS.
I power this equipment using a 12V 5.2AH Li-Ion battery which lasts at least 8 flying hours between re-charges.

So it is possible to be equipped with a transponders etc. without a full aircraft electrical system.

I am still undecided which way to go with having an electronic conspicuity receiver capability.
I like the SE2 but it can only detect ADS-B and FLARM. Also I would need to disable the SE2 Mode-S transmissions as I have a transponder.
PAW is on the list and will be interesting to see how the new MLAT capability works.
Tony

I think it is worth mentioning here that a Stratux Europe version has now been created:

Hi TouchTheSky,

I will test Stratux and have ordered a DIY Kit. I have downloaded the 1.5b2 IMG and will transfer it to the SD Card. Regarding the link in your post, how can I install the files from your link?

Thanks for your help,
Alf

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Alf - 6/7/2019 6:52:14 PM
Hi Alf,

However I do have a Trig TT21 transponder with ADS-B out connection, Trig TY91 8.33 VHF radio and also a Horis 80 AHRS.
I power this equipment using a 12V 5.2AH Li-Ion battery which lasts at least 8 flying hours between re-charges.

So it is possible to be equipped with a transponders etc. without a full aircraft electrical system.

I am still undecided which way to go with having an electronic conspicuity receiver capability.
I like the SE2 but it can only detect ADS-B and FLARM. Also I would need to disable the SE2 Mode-S transmissions as I have a transponder.
PAW is on the list and will be interesting to see how the new MLAT capability works.
Tony

I think it is worth mentioning here that a Stratux Europe version has now been created:

Hi TouchTheSky,

I will test Stratux and have ordered a DIY Kit. I have downloaded the 1.5b2 IMG and will transfer it to the SD Card. Regarding the link in your post, how can I install the files from your link?

Thanks for your help,
Alf

Just to be sure, you should download: https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/releases/download/v1.5b2-eu003/stratux-v1.5b2-eu003-a6721f94.img.zip

After burning the IMG to the SD card using e.g. Etcher:
  • plug the SD card into the Stratux and connect power
  • connect Wifi with "stratux"
  • open via browser 192.168.10.1
  • "Settings/Configuration": enter your own transponder ICAO code
  • "Settings/Configuration": "GDL90 MSL Altitude" deactivate for SkyDemon
You don't have to install any additional files.

Edited 6/7/2019 9:15:10 PM by TouchTheSky
Alf
Alf
Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 6/7/2019 9:14:11 PM
Alf - 6/7/2019 6:52:14 PM
Hi Alf,

Tony

Hi TouchTheSky,

Thanks for your help,
Alf

Just to be sure, you should download: https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/releases/download/v1.5b2-eu003/stratux-v1.5b2-eu003-a6721f94.img.zip

After burning the IMG to the SD card using e.g. Etcher:
  • plug the SD card into the Stratux and connect power
  • connect Wifi with "stratux"
  • open via browser 192.168.10.1
  • "Settings/Configuration": enter your own transponder ICAO code
  • "Settings/Configuration": "GDL90 MSL Altitude" deactivate for SkyDemon
You don't have to install any additional files.

Thanks so much, really appreciate!
Have a nice weekend and fantastic flights,
Alf

Biggles66
B
Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)
Hi Alf,

Tony

Hi TTS,
Does Stratux also provide AHRS functionality?

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Biggles66 - 6/11/2019 2:13:02 PM
Hi Alf,

Tony

Hi TTS,

sure, you can find out more about the original (US focused) project here: Stratux US

Biggles66
B
Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 6/11/2019 2:16:06 PM
Biggles66 - 6/11/2019 2:13:02 PM
Hi Alf,

Tony

Hi TTS,

sure, you can find out more about the original (US focused) project here: Stratux US

Cheers TTS!! Smile

EHOW flyer
EHOW flyer
Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.9K reputation)
Alf - 6/4/2019 6:44:29 AM
Hi,

after hours of testing the combination of SD and SkyEcho 2, I would like to say, that I am more than happy! First, I fly a vintage plane with no electrical system (no transponder etc.). So, until now I was completely blind and no one could see me, resulting in a couple of dangerous situations in the past. Now I use an Android Phablet, SD, SkyEcho 2 and Bose A20 Bluetooth as headsets.

The firmware of my SkyEcho 2 had to be updated after delivery. Then I subscribed the Flarm license and went flying. Binding the SkyEcho2 to the Phablet was no problem, also the Bose A20 via BT with the same device. I selected bearingless targets in SD and of course the SkyEcho as external device. At the first flight I was quite disappointed, all traffic could be seen on the screen (heli, glider and other VFR traffic, even airliner), but there was no aural alert in the headsets. I turned media level to the maximum in the Android device, still no alerts. After landing the problem was clear, the A20 has separate buttons for BT sound level, and that was at a minimum...On the second and following flights everything was perfect, aural alerts from SD regarding terrain etc. and traffic alerts! I had about 5 flight hours since then, and only once one single engine aircraft, which crossed my path 1000ft above, was not shown in SD (but possibly this aircraft had turned off it´s Mode C or S).

Conclusion: For me as a vintage aircraft user, with no electrical system on board, this combination is big step forward and makes flying much safer. On the other hand, pilots with installed FLARM or Mode S/C systems, e.g. a Garmin system, might have more advantages (see problematic Mode S/C indications in SD (bearingless targets) in other threads)).

Cheers,
A.

Hi Alf,

With A SE2 you have your transponder with extended squitter. Do you use that option too?

Alf
Alf
EHOW flyer - 7/6/2019 5:52:38 PM
Alf - 6/4/2019 6:44:29 AM
Hi,

after hours of testing the combination of SD and SkyEcho 2, I would like to say, that I am more than happy! First, I fly a vintage plane with no electrical system (no transponder etc.). So, until now I was completely blind and no one could see me, resulting in a couple of dangerous situations in the past. Now I use an Android Phablet, SD, SkyEcho 2 and Bose A20 Bluetooth as headsets.

The firmware of my SkyEcho 2 had to be updated after delivery. Then I subscribed the Flarm license and went flying. Binding the SkyEcho2 to the Phablet was no problem, also the Bose A20 via BT with the same device. I selected bearingless targets in SD and of course the SkyEcho as external device. At the first flight I was quite disappointed, all traffic could be seen on the screen (heli, glider and other VFR traffic, even airliner), but there was no aural alert in the headsets. I turned media level to the maximum in the Android device, still no alerts. After landing the problem was clear, the A20 has separate buttons for BT sound level, and that was at a minimum...On the second and following flights everything was perfect, aural alerts from SD regarding terrain etc. and traffic alerts! I had about 5 flight hours since then, and only once one single engine aircraft, which crossed my path 1000ft above, was not shown in SD (but possibly this aircraft had turned off it´s Mode C or S).

Conclusion: For me as a vintage aircraft user, with no electrical system on board, this combination is big step forward and makes flying much safer. On the other hand, pilots with installed FLARM or Mode S/C systems, e.g. a Garmin system, might have more advantages (see problematic Mode S/C indications in SD (bearingless targets) in other threads)).

Cheers,
A.

Hi Alf,

With A SE2 you have your transponder with extended squitter. Do you use that option too?

Hi Ehow,

yes, I did a couple of times for testing purposes, and it works excellent. At the moment I have switched the function off, as the official allowance is still missing in Germany.

BR,
Alf

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
As far as we are aware, there is no law preventing the output from a SkyEcho 2 in Germany.
Alf
Alf
Hi Tim,

thanks for your reply! Yes, you are right, there is no law regarding the output of SE2. I meant the ADS-B Send function of SE2 in my previous post. According to my information, this function is not (officially) allowed yet in Germany.

Kind regards,
Alf
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search