Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

What is the percentage of Generl Aviation aircrafts we can see in SkyDemo .

Author
frederic
Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi evrybody,

I tried to find the answer in the forum, but I have not foud.

Question to those who are equipped with a "traffic and collision avoidance" item, what is the percentage of General Aviation aircrafts in Europe that emit in ADS-B out... and so that we could see with SkyDemon (with Pilotaware for ex.)?

If the percentage is big, then I'll buy a Pilotaware quickly, otherwise it's probably not worth it.

Many thanks for your answers.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
GA aircraft in Europe ADS-B equipped are only very little numbers and even if they are outfitted the visibility via <censored>tools like Pilotaware is rather low, better than low power transmissions but by no means a replacement for see and avoid.
frederic
frederic
Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)
MarkusM - 2/9/2019 12:42:30 PM
GA aircraft in Europe ADS-B equipped are only very little numbers and even if they are outfitted the visibility via <censored>tools like Pilotaware is rather low, better than low power transmissions but by no means a replacement for see and avoid.

Thank your.

Pity! I will still wait before investing in this equipment. In the meantime, I will be broadcasting in ADS-B out since I am equipped with them.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
If you want to improve situational awareness by adding information to your cockpit, look at the StrauxFLARM distribution. About $200 will give you ADS-B and FLARM IN. The day we replace eyeball see and avoid by a 99% electronic gadget I am out of flying.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
If you wait before investing in ADSB-out equipment (or some other form of EC) then you are really part of the problem you're complaining about.
Edited 2/11/2019 11:13:14 AM by Tim Dawson
Bealeyman
Bealeyman
Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)
The Skyecho 2 'what it does' description says that Mode C/S proximity is detected but SD seems not to be supporting this. 
What is going on here? It will work with Forflight and Easy VFR I am told, but I know little of that as I am a long time and happy user of SD.

pilot-byom
p
Tim Dawson - 2/11/2019 11:13:00 AM
If you wait before investing in ADSB-out equipment (or some other form of EC) then you are really part of the problem you're complaining about.

It is not that easy. There is a reason why the US decided to go on a second frequency for UAT and the UK launched the test bed. My bet, if we all go ADS-B-Out on 1090 and that is the only viable option for flying across Europe now, we see exactly the congestion the US feared.

Bealeyman
Bealeyman
Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)Too Much Forum (518 reputation)
Tim, thanks for your response.

I have been using a Zaon MRX PCAS for six years in a PA28 averaging 100hr per year mostly VFR but with some IMC. This device gives nearest transponder mode C/S within 5nm and +/- 1000 ft but no Azimuth. However  one can keep an eye on range/ALT  changing and figure out the threat. Radar or TCAS has to be interrogating, so the transponders reply and the Zaon device picks this up.

I have found it very useful.  I read all the Airprox reports and time after time they say both aircraft equipped with mode c/s but 
nobody was carrying a detector.

Sadly my detector has just gone u/s.

There are  a lot of transponder equipped GA aircraft out there and it immediately feels uncomfortable not to have the device. 

SE2+SD with this basic feature would be a very good idea and of course there would be the other traffic warnings from
ADSB and Flarm. 

Some might think not having Azimuth is a serious drawback but I bet they have never used a range/ALT device over a 
long time as I have.

I trust  you are right about the long term but a SE2 would be ordered tomorrow if you said you would fix my problem and I 
would not worry if you were going to collect an extra £ 30 per year from me just for the mode c/s traffic info! 

Keep up the good work

pilot-byom
p
Bealeyman - 2/13/2019 8:19:39 PM

I have been using a Zaon MRX PCAS for six years in a PA28 averaging 100hr per year mostly VFR but with some IMC. This device gives nearest transponder mode C/S within 5nm and +/- 1000 ft but no Azimuth. However  one can keep an eye on range/ALT  changing and figure out the threat. Radar or TCAS has to be interrogating, so the transponders reply and the Zaon device picks this up.

I have found it very useful.  I read all the Airprox reports and time after time they say both aircraft equipped with mode c/s but 

There are  a lot of transponder equipped GA aircraft out there and it immediately feels uncomfortable not to have the device. 

SE2+SD with this basic feature would be a very good idea and of course there would be the other traffic warnings from
ADSB and Flarm. 

Some might think not having Azimuth is a serious drawback but I bet they have never used a range/ALT device over a 
long time as I have.

I trust  you are right about the long term but a SE2 would be ordered tomorrow if you said you would fix my problem and I 
would not worry if you were going to collect an extra £ 30 per year from me just for the mode c/s traffic info! 

Keep up the good work

You could simply replace the Zaon by a Monroy with directional antenna and even ARINC429 if wished, would give the same, but with the same increased uncertainty on distance.

Bealeyman
Bealeyman
MarkusM - 2/14/2019 7:46:31 AM
Bealeyman - 2/13/2019 8:19:39 PM

ADSB and Flarm. 

long time as I have.

Keep up the good work

You could simply replace the Zaon by a Monroy with directional antenna and even ARINC429 if wished, would give the same, but with the same increased uncertainty on distance.

Thanks for the suggestion Markus, but still hoping TD will help out.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search