Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

What is the percentage of Generl Aviation aircrafts we can see in SkyDemo .

Author
frederic
Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
High Bealeyman

I already asked the workshop to connect my GPS to the Transponder TRIG TT21. Normally, it will be done during next week. So I'll broadcast ADS-B.
I'm also trying to convince my co-owners to buy a Rosetta PilotAware and your mail will certainly help. For less than 300€, I'm sure it will be done quickly.

Paul Guilbert
P
Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)
I would suggest that less than a 1/5th of aviation traffic has ADS-B out here in the UK (see the FlightRadar24 stats). I have two traffic systems in my 1979 C182. A TRX-1500 which provides for FLARM and ADS-B detection and presentation, and also Mode C/S proximity warning, but all on the tiny Garmin 650 display. I have an I-pad mini running SD fed by the Sky Echo 2 which provides for a much better presentation of ADS-B traffic on (the larger) screen but no FLARM (separate fee which I don't seem to need on my TRX-1500) and no Mode C/S warning. As a result I would not recommend purchasing the Sky Echo 2 unless the connected software is capable of making use of Mode C/S information and providing some sort of warning.

Personally I wish ADS-B was made compulsory in the UK as cockpit solutions for traffic detection would only cost a few hundred pounds. That same solution can provide for transmission too. My major concern when flying is not seeing traffic on a collision course. Mark 1 eye ball cannot see in all directions/heights at all times. How often do you look for an aircraft when told where to look and still struggle to pick it out? What about IMC?

Currently my TRIG-21 transmits Mode S/ADS-B out and the TRX-1500 FLARM. I hope I can be seen by everyone but would like to see everyone too... 

TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 4/1/2019 12:08:54 PM
I can think of no faster way of ruining our verbal traffic information feature than making it read out all the bearingless targets in the area.

It is a well-accepted tenet of human interface guidelines that when you start telling users too much information, many will find it annoying and mentally tune it out, or worse, disable the feature altogether as being something that just gives useless information.

I have since set-up the PaW Rosetta with SD. Traffic Radar, voice traffic alert and the display of bearingless targets (on the map only) work very well. The filter settings do exactly as advertised, and only relevant traffic is shown/announced.

I agree that announcing all bearingless targets would be too much. As it stands, the odd traffic warning already competes in the audio channel with

- airspace and obstacle warning
- and radio traffic from one or two monitored frequencies

Suggestion: Can you pan the stereo image of the verbal alerts? Typically, the radios come in mono, i.e., dead centre. Readability could bee much improved if airspace warnings came slightly, say, from the left, and traffic warning slightly form the right. I'd venture that this would make a big difference.

frederic
frederic
Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)Too Much Forum (176 reputation)
More than 80% or 90´% of visible traffic, is it utopian?

Today about 10% to 20% of traffic is visible via ADS-B. However, I am convinced that this score could very easily be increased.
Indeed, I chatted with 5 owners of Microlight and all 5 have an ADS-B compatible mode S transponder. Unfortunately, they do not have a GPS connected to the transponder, so it does not transmit this information. The reason, the ignorance of what this does and can help us.

I am convinced, at least for Western Europe, that for a cost of less than 300 €, we could see more than 80% of the traffic. Indeed, all aircraft in Europe must be equipped with a Mode S transponder and the majority of them are ADS-B compatible. But the pilots do not know it
It would be enough to connect a compatible GPS to the transponder. And there too, many aircraft are already equipped with such a GPS. A visit to the workshop to make this connection should not be expensive, usually less than an hour of work.

I think we need to advertise ADS-B to make it known.

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Frederic,

I agree. I have a non-certified GPS connected to my Trig TT21 transponder. I did the wiring myself and the GPS mouse cost around EUR 60. However my vintage aircraft is on a UK Permit to Fly and our aviation regulator, the CAA, has promoted and supports this technology.
Unfortunately, for certified aircraft in EASA land, it may not be so easy/cheap to implement.
Maybe the National aviation regulators in other European countries need to ease the regulations and promote the technology a bit better?
Tony

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search