Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Virtual Radar situational awareness not sufficient

Author
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Tim,

I'm absolutely missing a function to set horizontal and vertical scale for virtual radar!
The automatic zoom is by far not sufficient for many situations in the alps.

When crossing the alps, you often cannot fly the planned route due to cloud conditions.

After crossing the alps N->S i.e. in 12000 ft, typically a descent down to 1000 ft follows.
This area is crowded with military airspace, class D airspaces and controlzones of different airports.
Parts of the planning becomes useless and you have to do some ad hoc planning in flight in a complicated airspace structure.

But SD lets me look ahead only a few minutes, which is not enough for a 11000 ft standard descent.

Similar situations can occur during climb to higher altitudes.

Regards

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
Compared to VR, the map display is quite good and useful:
I can switch off Follow Position and get a large arrow to quickly re-center the map. Perfect!

Proposal:
VR has the same behavior as map display.

It can be panned in all directions and has a re-center button. This "button" could be even identical to the re-center feature in map.

VR horizontal scale factor can be set by zooming with two fingers.
Alternatively, it could be coupled to map scale factor...

Vertical scale:
As a first approach, the above mentioned panning feature would be sufficient.

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
Or you could use a slightly modified 2-finger zoom gesture: move the fingers apart horizontally and you zoom in on the distance scale. Move them apart vertically and you zoom in on the altitude scale.

-- Chris.‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Gerhard, most of your posts have been complaints about various different areas of SkyDemon.

Speaking very generally, most of our tens of th‌ousands of users are happy with the way SkyDemon works at the moment. I say that to illustrate why we do not make many changes to the way the product works at this stage: we don't want to mess with the winning formula. Perhaps there is an alternative product from a different manufacturer which caters more to your specific needs? We cannot please everybody all the time and we do not seek to do so. We would be delighted if you keep using SkyDemon but please do not expect the many changes you have mentioned to be written into our product.

We will not be implementing a compl‌‌ex virtual radar zooming and panning solution on tablets.
efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
Hi Tim,

May I ask why?

BR
Eric
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
In seven years, this is the first time we've been asked for such a thing.
efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
Hi Tim,

Although I very much appreciate most of your replies and the way you reply, I disagree with your opinion in this thread.

Gerhard did not complain about any area of SD. He has shown a weakness of SD (in his opinion) and made a proposal to eliminate the weakness. I've always thought that's what this forum is about (besides other themes).

It is not the first time you bring forward the argument that tens of thousands of users are happy with SD as it is. How do you know? Because they don't complain or don't make suggestions for improvement? That is not the evidence for a perfectly satisfied crowd, at most the evidence for a good product with potential left to improve. Did all those tens of thousands users tell you they are completely satisfied the way SD works? What do you think how many of the tens of thousands would vote against Gerhard's request would you start a survey? I think by far not a hundred of the tens of thousands.

People often don't complain about deficiencies or don't make suggestions for improvement because they are lazy or they don't see the advantages an improvement would bring - including myself. I've been using SD now for 3 or 4 years on nearly every flight I do and I find myself reading about some really good and wise suggestions for improvement on this forum I have never been thinking about before.

So I kindly ask you to think over your decision, not to implement a vertical zooming of the VR.

Last, but not least, I'm very satisfied with your piece of software. For my needs there's no better navigation tool - not only measured by the price.

Kind regards
Eric
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Our users are not shy about asking us for stuff they want. We receive dozens if not hundreds of suggestions every day.

That makes it very easy for us to judge which suggestions are wanted by thousands of people and which are wanted by somewhat less than that number. It's the way we do things, it's the way we prioritise development, and it works very well for us.‌ We appreciate it all, and the sheer volume of feedback is why it works.

This forum is a little outside our normal support channels.‌‌‌ ‌‌
efrenken
efrenken
Ok, which means of communication do you consider inside your normal support channels?

Why don't you ask the forum community to change over to normal support channels?
Edited 6/27/2017 6:54:28 PM by efrenken
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Email or telephone are best. You will usually get a reply much faster, and the answer is likely to be more knowledgable.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search