Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon became very slow on my android device

Author
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Wow, I am just really, really happy that I am running SD on my iPad. Never had any problems to speak of.

-- Chris.

MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
fruitloops101 - 9/26/2016 4:26:50 PM
selected "force GPU rendering" under developer options/hardware accelerated rendering. Now the tablet and SD runs very smoothly indeed. For anyone wishing to do this there are step by step guides easily available on the web.

I use a standard Android version (the one shipped by the manufacturer) and I've remembered that some month ago, I've also forced GPU rendering on my Nexus 7 (2013) and that the results were very positive. This is an option everyone should have access to (whatever the ROM) and that should be tried.

M
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
If anybody has an Android device on which SkyDemon has recently slowed down (since the 3.6.2 version) so much as to be unusable, you are welcome to lend us the device if you're happy for us to try to debug the problem. Meanwhile we will continue trying to see what might be the problem here, but it's difficult because so few devices appear to be affected and we're unable to reproduce the problem here.
Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/28/2016 10:12:07 AM
If anybody has an Android device on which SkyDemon has recently slowed down (since the 3.6.2 version) so much as to be unusable, you are welcome to lend us the device if you're happy for us to try to debug the problem. Meanwhile we will continue trying to see what might be the problem here, but it's difficult because so few devices appear to be affected and we're unable to reproduce the problem here.

I was going to lend you my Nexus 7 (Android 5.1.1) but SD 3.6.5.26060 appears to run okay (on the ground). No obvious slow performance issues.

However my primary SD device is my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and that does exhibit the problem.
As it is also my mobile phone I can't lend it to you but wondered if I can test various test releases of SD software on it to try and help you pin down the issue?
You obviously know what changes have been made between 3.6.2 and 3.6.3 so perhaps you can create "test versions" to tests the various code changes?
Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
That is something we may need to resort to, but it's undesirable as we could be producing a great deal of releases trying to narrow down the problem. Also, you will not be able to see debug output. We will probably end up buying a device so we can try and reproduce it ourselves, but we want to be sure the device we buy will demonstrate the problem before we do that.
Tony N
Tony N
Understand. Well my device, as mentioned, is a standard Samsung S3 Galaxy. Probably nearly 3 years old now.
Yes, I know that is old now........
I think other users with similar performance issues are using other devices.

Tony
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I have just posted a beta version on our beta page. I'd appreciate it if you could install it and let me know whether there is any change. Thanks!
Nazze
N
Too Much Forum (79 reputation)Too Much Forum (79 reputation)Too Much Forum (79 reputation)Too Much Forum (79 reputation)Too Much Forum (79 reputation)Too Much Forum (79 reputation)Too Much Forum (79 reputation)Too Much Forum (79 reputation)Too Much Forum (79 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/4/2016 10:22:09 AM
I have just posted a beta version on our beta page. I'd appreciate it if you could install it and let me know whether there is any change. Thanks!

Hi all,

First of all: I really love SkyDemon. A lot of useful features for proper VFR flight planning. Great job!
‌However, I just ‌‌bought an Android Tablet Z3 Compact and realized 3 issues. One of them is that loading embedded charts take really some time. 25 seconds for an arrival chart is really long. I am not sure if this normal or also the beforementioned topic that the Android app became very slow. I created a video for this (below).
I have also realized that I see issue #1 and #2 is also existing on Samsung Galaxy S7. I tried to use the latest beta 3.7.1xx, but it crashes after a couple of seconds.

Version: 3.7.0.27593
Hardware: ‌Sony Z3 Compact Tablet
‌‌
Issue #1: Embedded Charts loading takes very long time (EDDL Arrival Chart takes 25 seconds!)
Issue #2: Map jumps around when zooming. In the video, I have zoomed Wuppertal, but suddenly the map moves to the left to Düsseldorf Wolfsaap. Very nasty in flight. (I found out that it always zooms into the center of the map. That's why I thought it was jumping. So forget about #2 as an issue. Although it is not very convenient, but I will get used to it).
Issue #3: Strange Approach Charts (here: EDDL DFS Approach Chart). But this happens very seldomly.

My question: Is  this a temporary topic? Reason for asking: I might want to send the device back to amazon and get myself an ipad mini instead, if these performance issues don't show up on Apple devices.

‌‌

Kind regards and a happy new year,
Nazze

Edited 1/2/2017 12:27:56 PM by Nazze
efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
Nazze,

My recommendation: Send the tablet back and get an iPad.

I enjoy flying with iPad and SD now in my 3rd or 4th year and never had any problems.

Eric
macht_rebel
macht_rebel
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
[quote]
Nazze - 1/2/2017 12:27:56 PM

‌Hi Nazze,

I fully agree with Eric. It is fast and reliable.

‌Best, Marc

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search