Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon became very slow on my android device

Author
philippecmartin
Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

This started one or two releases ago (I am now using 3.6.5) ; but as I knew I was going to upgrade my phone, I decided to wait and see.

I now have an Android 6P and it is so slow I just cannot use it - upgrading to Nougat did not solve anything either

Looking at another thread, I have tried to:
1) delete all but mandatory charts (Just USA basemap + AZ-CA-NV-UT)
2) removed many options of the surface features
3) put the planning offline only to ensure this is not a network issue

Potentially #1 does have an impact but, unfortunately, not enough.

Can you please advise ?

Regards,
Philippe

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Try reverting back to version 3.6.2. That should fix the issue which is still under investigation by Tim (see other threads on this problem).
Tony
Huntwing
Huntwing
Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)
tnowak - 9/21/2016 7:07:39 AM
I reported this fault several weeks ago exactly as described.(speed issue on Note 4)

Personally i am surprised that there have not been more complaints because, without reverting to 3.6.2 the system is unworkable and I believe this is a far greater priority than adding more features that won't work either.

John

Try reverting back to version 3.6.2. That should fix the issue which is still under investigation by Tim (see other threads on this problem).
Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The issue seems to be quite limited in scope, and we do not understand why. Our support team is collating various factors for each reported incidence so we can try to understand what they have in common.
FaRu1
FaRu1
Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.5K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/21/2016 3:12:21 PM
The issue seems to be quite limited in scope, and we do not understand why. Our support team is collating various factors for each reported incidence so we can try to understand what they have in common.

As an answer to your advice to revert to 3.6.2: this does NOT really help.  See my thread I opened a couple of days ago under Navigation.
The impression is, that everything is getting slower and slower on Android ... it comes to an unacceptable level. Not only the time for building up the map, also the pilot log now needs seconds (with black screen) before showing the content. In the past it was visible in a split second.  Sorry for being negative here, but it is annoying and I really hope you find a solution soon ...

philippecmartin
philippecmartin
Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3K reputation)
Ok thanks, looking at the other thread to avoid duplicates.

Just to be sure, is it "

Speed of screen build-up

"

?
Regards,
Philippe

Edited 9/25/2016 5:13:15 PM by philippecmartin
MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/21/2016 3:12:21 PM

Xamarin Wink

Not really kidding here, since some colleagues use it and spend their time complaining about it's poor performance (and more globally support) on Android. Looking at their forums and bug trackers, Skydemon is far from being the only impacted one.

M
Edited 9/25/2016 6:22:25 PM by MikeTwoOne
Tony N
Tony N
FaRu,

I run SD on my Samsung S3 smartphone and experienced significant performance issues when I upgraded to SD version 3.6.3.
Going back to the previous version (3.6.2) fixed the performance issue for me (and some others I believe).
Do you see performance issues with any other app on your Android tablet? I ask as, occasionally, my Nexus 7 gets locked up doing "something" and becomes very unresponsive (nothing to do with SD as SD not running) . I am not sure what "something" is but it sorts itself out after 10-15 mins. Wifi enabled and is always kept up to date.
Tony
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
MikeTwoOne, no, I don't think so. We have tens of thousands of subscribers using SkyDemon on Android and the latest versions have not slowed down for the vast majority of them.

FaRu, you cannot simultaneously complain that SkyDemon has slowed down in recent versions but state that reverting to a previous version does not help. If even a previous version is slow, then something has changed on your device.
fruitloops101
fruitloops101
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
I'm not sure if this will shed any light on the issue, but I have a Nexus 7 2012 Wifi only (device codename Grouper) and when I upgraded the OS to android 6 the tablet slowed right down and SD in particular became so slow as to be unusable.
As a last resort I "hosed" the drive, unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP recovery and did a clean install of the latest nightly version of Cyanogenmod 13 (a customised version of Android 6). I also changed the file system to ext4 and selected "force GPU rendering" under developer options/hardware accelerated rendering. Now the tablet and SD runs very smoothly indeed.
For anyone wishing to do this there are step by step guides easily available on the web.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search