SkyDemon Forums

Skydemon became very slow on my android device

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic20268.aspx

By crablab - 3/31/2017 4:26:26 PM

I have this problem on a Nexus 6 running Android 7.1.1. 
Interestingly, I don't have an issue on my Neuxs 9 which is running the same release. 

Does that help? 
By wb8 - 6/5/2017 9:24:12 PM

Nazze - 1/2/2017 12:27:56 PM
Tim Dawson - 10/4/2016 10:22:09 AM
I have just posted a beta version on our beta page. I'd appreciate it if you could install it and let me know whether there is any change. Thanks!

Hi all,

First of all: I really love SkyDemon. A lot of useful features for proper VFR flight planning. Great job!
‌However, I just ‌‌bought an Android Tablet Z3 Compact and realized 3 issues. One of them is that loading embedded charts take really some time. 25 seconds for an arrival chart is really long. I am not sure if this normal or also the beforementioned topic that the Android app became very slow. I created a video for this (below).
I have also realized that I see issue #1 and #2 is also existing on Samsung Galaxy S7. I tried to use the latest beta 3.7.1xx, but it crashes after a couple of seconds.

Version: 3.7.0.27593
Hardware: ‌Sony Z3 Compact Tablet
‌‌
Issue #1: Embedded Charts loading takes very long time (EDDL Arrival Chart takes 25 seconds!)
Issue #2: Map jumps around when zooming. In the video, I have zoomed Wuppertal, but suddenly the map moves to the left to Düsseldorf Wolfsaap. Very nasty in flight. (I found out that it always zooms into the center of the map. That's why I thought it was jumping. So forget about #2 as an issue. Although it is not very convenient, but I will get used to it).
Issue #3: Strange Approach Charts (here: EDDL DFS Approach Chart). But this happens very seldomly.

My question: Is  this a temporary topic? Reason for asking: I might want to send the device back to amazon and get myself an ipad mini instead, if these performance issues don't show up on Apple devices.

‌‌

Kind regards and a happy new year,
Nazze

I experience the same issue on both android devices:
Samsung galaxy Tab S2‌ (android 7.0)
LG Nexus 5x‌ (android 7.1.2) 
Both are running SkyD‌emon 3.8.1.18190.
Both are using the stock- android rom‌.
 Both need  a long time to load vfr-plates.
Both of them are unable to provide a steady zoom-in/out behaviour (the two-finger zoom won't zoom-in and zoom-out as expected and the preview of the zoom does not match the result). As soon as both fingertips are released from the screen, skydemon jumps to a different area in the surrounding of the previous screen.
The behaviour is getting worse, when both fingertips are moved to the left or the right during spreading away from each other.
I'm not a 100%sure, but I think the whole behaviour is a little bit  improved by disabling the live data in planning-mode.
To load the VFR chart of LOAV takes
- ‌~12 seconds on the galaxy tab S2
- ~25 seconds on the Nexus 5x‌

The galaxy tab is my primary device so I can live with the issues on the mobile phone but the performance issues on the galaxy tab should be fixed.
If required I can provide videos too.‌‌‌

By philippecmartin - 9/20/2016 3:25:56 PM

Hi,

This started one or two releases ago (I am now using 3.6.5) ; but as I knew I was going to upgrade my phone, I decided to wait and see.

I now have an Android 6P and it is so slow I just cannot use it - upgrading to Nougat did not solve anything either

Looking at another thread, I have tried to:
1) delete all but mandatory charts (Just USA basemap + AZ-CA-NV-UT)
2) removed many options of the surface features
3) put the planning offline only to ensure this is not a network issue

Potentially #1 does have an impact but, unfortunately, not enough.

Can you please advise ?

Regards,
Philippe