Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Baro Alert through Transition Level

Author
toddy
Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

I fly with SkyDemon paired to a BT headset, so can clearly hear alarms in the headset. What would be wonderful is if we could get a voice alert to say - 'Set Standard Pressure' passing the transition altitude, and then click it off on the screen. On the way down, it should say, 'Set local Barometric Pressure' and we'd tick it off or it would alert again. Sometimes it can be late in the climb or descent before I remember to set it - the G1000 unit does indeed have this feature with a flashing baro setting until you acknowledge it.

Also, it would be nice to move beyond beeps - everything beeps and they loose their meaning. Voice alerts are much more effective.

toddy
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)
Just getting the information of transition level and altitude would be great. Your suggestion for aleart text is fine. 
B.t.w, where under flight do I find the information?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We do not currently include geographical data for where the transition level/altitude is, in SkyDemon, as it varies widely across Europe. Therefore it's not something we could do at present.
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)
Thanks Tim
Hope you will keep the idea in mind and maybe push the countries SD is getting data from to include this information.
Just been flying around in Europe and beside the transition information, SD handled the trip excellent! 
Regards,
Martin

Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 5/23/2022 10:38:21 AM
We do not currently include geographical data for where the transition level/altitude is, in SkyDemon, as it varies widely across Europe. Therefore it's not something we could do at present.

make it optional and let a user to input the data

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
There is no reason (unless in the USA) to wait until transition altitude/level to set 1013/QNH. Once you're cleared to a flight level, set standard. When you're cleared to an altitude, set the QNH.

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
PaulSS - 5/29/2022 9:58:02 PM
There is no reason (unless in the USA) to wait until transition altitude/level to set 1013/QNH. Once you're cleared to a flight level, set standard. When you're cleared to an altitude, set the QNH.

You’re right if you fly under control and get clearances. If you fly VFR and just decide to climb or descent above/below transition you may forget to adjust the altimeter. It happened once to me and I joined the traffic circuit with 1013 hPa set, which was far away from what it should have been that day. Some kind of alert would have come in handy in that situation.

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
efrenken - 5/30/2022 3:58:50 AM

You’re right if you fly under control and get clearances. If you fly VFR and just decide to climb or descent above/below transition you may forget to adjust the altimeter. It happened once to me and I joined the traffic circuit with 1013 hPa set, which was far away from what it should have been that day. Some kind of alert would have come in handy in that situation.

...and if you don't fly under control, you have no reason to set STD at all. Just fly all the time on the 'best' QNH you can get.

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)Too Much Forum (5K reputation)
Adam Erchegyi - 5/30/2022 5:13:32 AM

...and if you don't fly under control, you have no reason to set STD at all. Just fly all the time on the 'best' QNH you can get.

Wrong. You have a reason by law.

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
Gerhard66 - 5/31/2022 8:46:57 AM
Adam Erchegyi - 5/30/2022 5:13:32 AM

Wrong. You have a reason by law.

I cannot find any reference in that thread to TA/TL but cruising levels only. Could you point me to the right direction?
Let's take a practical example: I fly from LSZH (TA 7000') to LSZS (TA 16000') VFR and planning to cruise 9500' (uncontrolled, class E&G). So good so far. Where/when I am supposed to change to STD baro and back in your interpretation? How is that helping me with proper terrain clearence over mountain passes?

Edited 6/1/2022 7:03:26 PM by Adam Erchegyi
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search