Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Stratux

Author
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Fedko - 1/15/2022 2:30:20 PM
TouchTheSky - 12/17/2021 7:02:06 AM
Fedko - 12/16/2021 8:45:31 PM
Thank you very much @TouchTheSky and @b3nn0 for your answers, it is very clear.
I will go have a look at Github discussion. 

While I'm here, I would like to take the opportunity to ask about what is the best way to reduce the OGN Noise. 
Looking on the screenshot below, I seem to be suffering from significant range loss: 5.31x. Is there any way to improve this?

Thanks a lot, and happy Holidays to all!

I assume you are using the usual antennas so you may try to move them away from your Pi as it is the source for most of the "noise". A good alternative would be a T style dipole antenna which usually comes with 1-2m cable. Sometimes all metal Pi cases help but then Wifi might become less reliable. Can you post a picture of your Stratux?
Btw, you may consider the Stratux Slack channel where many of us are quite active: Stratux Slack. Besides the "#general" channel there is a particular channel "#stratux-europe-edition".

Thank you for you answer. 
I will register in Slack. In the meantime, attached a few pictures. Sorry for the orientations, but for some reason the forum in turning them as it wants...

The Startux is on a GoPro mount, and has large 1090 and 868 antennas. It is mounted on the left side window of a C172  between the door and the panel. 

I identified some possible reasons, what do you think?
- the GPS plate is touching the SDR - but I dont really have a solution for that...
- I added a small cooler below the SDRs, as they seem to get hot - do you think that this can have an impact? Should I remove it?

Below the hood, I also have the Dross board with the Baro and AHRS sensor, as well as the off-button. I don't know if these can have any impact on noise?

Thanks!

This seems like a pretty standard Stratux, no immediate concerns. I would not worry too much about the 15dB OGN noise, it can have multiple reasons. Make sure that your antennas are oriented vertically.

BJS
B
Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 1/15/2022 4:37:37 PM
Fedko - 1/15/2022 2:30:20 PM
TouchTheSky - 12/17/2021 7:02:06 AM
Fedko - 12/16/2021 8:45:31 PM
Thank you very much @TouchTheSky and @b3nn0 for your answers, it is very clear.
I will go have a look at Github discussion. 

While I'm here, I would like to take the opportunity to ask about what is the best way to reduce the OGN Noise. 
Looking on the screenshot below, I seem to be suffering from significant range loss: 5.31x. Is there any way to improve this?

Thanks a lot, and happy Holidays to all!

I assume you are using the usual antennas so you may try to move them away from your Pi as it is the source for most of the "noise". A good alternative would be a T style dipole antenna which usually comes with 1-2m cable. Sometimes all metal Pi cases help but then Wifi might become less reliable. Can you post a picture of your Stratux?
Btw, you may consider the Stratux Slack channel where many of us are quite active: Stratux Slack. Besides the "#general" channel there is a particular channel "#stratux-europe-edition".

Thank you for you answer. 
I will register in Slack. In the meantime, attached a few pictures. Sorry for the orientations, but for some reason the forum in turning them as it wants...

The Startux is on a GoPro mount, and has large 1090 and 868 antennas. It is mounted on the left side window of a C172  between the door and the panel. 

I identified some possible reasons, what do you think?
- the GPS plate is touching the SDR - but I dont really have a solution for that...
- I added a small cooler below the SDRs, as they seem to get hot - do you think that this can have an impact? Should I remove it?

Below the hood, I also have the Dross board with the Baro and AHRS sensor, as well as the off-button. I don't know if these can have any impact on noise?

Thanks!

This seems like a pretty standard Stratux, no immediate concerns. I would not worry too much about the 15dB OGN noise, it can have multiple reasons. Make sure that your antennas are oriented vertically.

and to add some advice - the flat area of the pinkish GPS antenna has to point to the sky to get decent GPS reception ... have seen so many people with no physics understanding at all I can't count any more.

KeiXiD
K
Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)
Hello👋🏼
I have an Stratux and i would like to display bearingless targets directly in SD.
I already set my IP to xxx.1.1 instead of xxx.10.1 and connected the stratux via Flarm with AirConnect to SD and the bearingless target slider in SD is on.
Can anybody give me an advice?
I‘m using the latest Version (eu27).

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
KeiXiD - 2/10/2022 9:48:24 PM
Hello👋🏼 I have an Stratux and i would like to display bearingless targets directly in SD.I already set my IP to xxx.1.1 instead of xxx.10.1 and connected the stratux via Flarm with AirConnect to SD and the bearingless target slider in SD is on.Can anybody give me an advice? I‘m using the latest Version (eu27).

You should be ready to see bearingless targets, maybe the SD traffic altitude filter prevented you from seeing any traffic.

KeiXiD
K
Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)Junior Member (16 reputation)
This setting was at 12500ft so it should display targets.
TouchTheSky
T
KeiXiD - 2/11/2022 12:50:55 PM

One more thought: did you try to enable and use "FLARM Devices" Air Avionics AT-1 as the location source? Did you set the Stratux IP to 192.168.1.1? 

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 2/11/2022 1:46:51 PM
KeiXiD - 2/11/2022 12:50:55 PM

One more thought: did you try to enable and use "FLARM Devices" Air Avionics AT-1 as the location source? Did you set the Stratux IP to 192.168.1.1? 

That's what he stated in the first question. I have the same settings and I see bearingless targets sometime. Maybe there was just none within range?

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
To see Bearingless Targets in SD, you must use the FLARM Protocol. GDL90 does not include Bearingless Target data.

You also need to select ‘Show Bearingless Targets’ in SD / Settings / Navigation Options - it is ‘OFF’ by default.
KeiXiD
K
I use Flarm with AirConnect but do not use the Setting „Air Avionics“ i will try that the next time thanks Smile
KeiXiD
K
Im pretty sure there were some planes near
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search