Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Stratux

Author
b
Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)Too Much Forum (228 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have no intention to implement that. Stratux is and will remain a companion device. The map in the web interfaces is intended for ground use, information and debugging/analysis. It is not intended to go flying with it.
The GPS Position doesn't even update on that map.

It is an open source project. If you want something like that, feel free to implement it and pull request.

Edited 9/23/2020 3:34:11 PM by b3nn0
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
b3nn0 - 9/23/2020 3:12:12 PM
The GPS Position doesn't even update on that map.

In this case, I think it is wise to put a disclaimer on the map page to prevent people mistake it as a replacement for the radar page!

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Did Stratux EU021 break own-ship suppression?
Since the update it does 'see' its own XPDR.

Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)
As far as I understand, Stratux DIY device is the best bang for your buck to get all of the traffic info from different sources. Is that correct? How it works with SkyDemon at this moment?

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
177 - 2/8/2021 6:30:20 PM
As far as I understand, Stratux DIY device is the best bang for your buck to get all of the traffic info from different sources. Is that correct? How it works with SkyDemon at this moment?

I works great, there are many folks out using this combination (including myself of course). Just recently an OGN transmission option has been introduced, the Wiki has been significantly updated as well:

Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)Too Much Forum (385 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 2/8/2021 6:41:16 PM

I works great, there are many folks out using this combination (including myself of course). Just recently an OGN transmission option has been introduced, the Wiki has been significantly updated as well:

Good to know that, thanks!
Can you give me a quick feedback on compatibility:
1) Is this correct Raspberry Pi ?
2) TTGO T-Beam 868Mhz M8N GPS
3) This RTL SDR
4) 868mhz and 1090 antenna

Edited 2/8/2021 10:19:23 PM by 177
TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
177 - 2/8/2021 10:07:50 PM
TouchTheSky - 2/8/2021 6:41:16 PM

Good to know that, thanks!
Can you give me a quick feedback on compatibility:
1) Is this correct Raspberry Pi
2) TTGO T-Beam 868Mhz M8N GPS
3) This RTL SDR
4) 868mhz and 1090 antenna

1) and 2) are ok
3) this SDR has more functionality than required and it is quite huge, I would recommend a Nooelec, e.g. a nano 2+ or nano 3
4) the 1090 antenna is also quite long, for 1090 a small antenna is enough

For further discussion as this is not SkyDemon related, I recommend our slack channel (#stratux-europe-edition): https://stratuxadsb.slack.com/archives/C01CXUFDN5V

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)
Hi folks,

I am catching up with this whole traffic topic (and the posts of this thread) and looking for some recent experiences. My primary goal would be to display both ADS-B and FLARM traffic in SkyDemon (the aircrafts I fly - mostly in Switzerland - have either power-flarm or TAS, but unfortunately without connectivity). Seems there are two good options out there, one being SkyEcho2 (cost of the device and the need for a yearly subscription to decode FLARM data makes it somewhat nah), other is Stratux (rather bulky and comes with home-made feeling). So my questions are:
  1. Why isn't this - very popular - option mentioned in the SkyDemon documentation? stratux.me doesn't show SkyDemon as a compatible EFB either.
  2. Is there still any pre-built ready-to-use version of Stratux available for my use-case? It seems the well-documented version from Crewdog Electronics comes with UAT radio only and there is no European version available.
  3. Are you aware of any other disadvantages compared to SkyEcho2 what I might have missed?
  4. Is there any use of the AHRS module while only used with SkyDemon?
  5. How do you avoid traffic warnings for your own aircraft?
Thanks for any further hints you might have. Happy landings!

TouchTheSky
T
Adam Erchegyi - 8/30/2021 7:17:19 PM
Hi folks,

I am catching up with this whole traffic topic (and the posts of this thread) and looking for some recent experiences. My primary goal would be to display both ADS-B and FLARM traffic in SkyDemon (the aircrafts I fly - mostly in Switzerland - have either power-flarm or TAS, but unfortunately without connectivity). Seems there are two good options out there, one being SkyEcho2 (cost of the device and the need for a yearly subscription to decode FLARM data makes it somewhat nah), other is Stratux (rather bulky and comes with home-made feeling). So my questions are:
  1. Why isn't this - very popular - option mentioned in the SkyDemon documentation? stratux.me doesn't show SkyDemon as a compatible EFB either.
  2. Is there still any pre-built ready-to-use version of Stratux available for my use-case? It seems the well-documented version from Crewdog Electronics comes with UAT radio only and there is no European version available.
  3. Are you aware of any other disadvantages compared to SkyEcho2 what I might have missed?

Adam, as one of the Stratux Europe contributors I am certainly happy to answer:
  1. This question obviously goes to Tim
  2. As of now I am aware of the following sources for pre-built ready-to-use versions of Stratux Europe:
    1. https://www.stratux-flarm.de/stratux-komponenten
    2. https://dross.net/aviation/shop/
  3. no
  4. no
  5. Air Avionics AT-1 connected to Dynon SkyView, Stratux connected to SkyDemon

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)
TouchTheSky - 8/31/2021 7:22:13 AM
Adam Erchegyi - 8/30/2021 7:17:19 PM
Hi folks,

Adam, as one of the Stratux Europe contributors I am certainly happy to answer:
  1. This question obviously goes to Tim
  2. As of now I am aware of the following sources for pre-built ready-to-use versions of Stratux Europe:
    1. https://www.stratux-flarm.de/stratux-komponenten
    2. https://dross.net/aviation/shop/
  3. no
  4. no
  5. Air Avionics AT-1 connected to Dynon SkyView, Stratux connected to SkyDemon

Thanks a lot for the answer, I'll check the links.
Actually, it's a pity that none of the sets have battery included, so in the end it will look like a homemade explosive Blink

It's pretty much off-topic here and might need to bring this conversation to the Slack channel, although could be useful for other SkyDemon users in the future. I'm thinking about keeping the box permanently in my pilot bag and making a suction mount for external antennas only. Any practical experience on power consumption (Pi3 should be better than Pi4 if my understanding is correct) and heat generation?

I'm not sure if I understand your answer to #5. I meant how to avoid my own aircraft's target (either from modeS or Flarm) being visible on the SkyDemon map. Sounds like simple filtering based on whatever parameters. Why do you need AT-1 and SkyView for that?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search