Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Stratux

Author
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Adam Erchegyi - 8/31/2021 11:00:32 AM
TouchTheSky - 8/31/2021 7:22:13 AM
Adam Erchegyi - 8/30/2021 7:17:19 PM
Hi folks,

I am catching up with this whole traffic topic (and the posts of this thread) and looking for some recent experiences. My primary goal would be to display both ADS-B and FLARM traffic in SkyDemon (the aircrafts I fly - mostly in Switzerland - have either power-flarm or TAS, but unfortunately without connectivity). Seems there are two good options out there, one being SkyEcho2 (cost of the device and the need for a yearly subscription to decode FLARM data makes it somewhat nah), other is Stratux (rather bulky and comes with home-made feeling). So my questions are:
  1. Why isn't this - very popular - option mentioned in the SkyDemon documentation? stratux.me doesn't show SkyDemon as a compatible EFB either.
  2. Is there still any pre-built ready-to-use version of Stratux available for my use-case? It seems the well-documented version from Crewdog Electronics comes with UAT radio only and there is no European version available.
  3. Are you aware of any other disadvantages compared to SkyEcho2 what I might have missed?
  4. Is there any use of the AHRS module while only used with SkyDemon?
  5. How do you avoid traffic warnings for your own aircraft?
Thanks for any further hints you might have. Happy landings!

Adam, as one of the Stratux Europe contributors I am certainly happy to answer:
  1. This question obviously goes to Tim
  2. As of now I am aware of the following sources for pre-built ready-to-use versions of Stratux Europe:
    1. https://www.stratux-flarm.de/stratux-komponenten
    2. https://dross.net/aviation/shop/
  3. no
  4. no
  5. Air Avionics AT-1 connected to Dynon SkyView, Stratux connected to SkyDemon

Thanks a lot for the answer, I'll check the links.
Actually, it's a pity that none of the sets have battery included, so in the end it will look like a homemade explosive Blink

It's pretty much off-topic here and might need to bring this conversation to the Slack channel, although could be useful for other SkyDemon users in the future. I'm thinking about keeping the box permanently in my pilot bag and making a suction mount for external antennas only. Any practical experience on power consumption (Pi3 should be better than Pi4 if my understanding is correct) and heat generation?

I'm not sure if I understand your answer to #5. I meant how to avoid my own aircraft's target (either from modeS or Flarm) being visible on the SkyDemon map. Sounds like simple filtering based on whatever parameters. Why do you need AT-1 and SkyView for that?

Ah sorry, did not carefully read your question. Right answer is: you simply put in the ICAO numbers in the Stratux web interface for which you don't want to receive alerts, including your ownship ICAO.

Fedko
F
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
Hello everyone. 

I'm quite new to Skydemon - first year of  use, as well as very new to Stratux - just finished building a Europe Flarm version. 

I have a couple of questions, as I wanted to be sure that my Stratux is correctly built and setup. Some questions might seem dumb... but after a couple days of surfing on internet, I was unable to find a clear answer.

Would anyone be able to perhaps clarify the following for me? I am currently using the lastest version of Stratux - 1.6r1-eu026.

1) I got nooelec v3 radios - One seems pre-programmed to 1090 Mhz and the second one to 978 Mhz. Do I need to somehow re-program the 978 Mhz unit to 868 Mhz with some SDR software? Or is this somehow done automatically by the Stratux software?

2) Is there any particular order in which the radios need to be connected to the USB ports of the Raspberry Pi? Or any radio can be plugged into any of the two ports, and the Stratux will somehow detect which radio receives on which frequency?

Thank you @b3nn0 for your great support on this Stratux EU project. I saw on your Github page that the Stratux Flarm should be connected to Skydemon via the FLARM-NMEA protocol;
3) But is there any difference between "Air Avionics AT-1" and "FLARM via Airconnect"? 
4) Should GDL90 protocol be only avoided due to stability issues? Or does it have any eventual advantage over FLARM-NMEA?

Also, what power banks are you guys using, and what autonomy do you get? I still didn't buy one, and I read that some may cause interference with the Stratux unit.

Thank you very much in advance.

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
Fedko - 10/4/2021 11:14:26 PM
Hello everyone. 

I'm quite new to Skydemon - first year of  use, as well as very new to Stratux - just finished building a Europe Flarm version. 

I have a couple of questions, as I wanted to be sure that my Stratux is correctly built and setup. Some questions might seem dumb... but after a couple days of surfing on internet, I was unable to find a clear answer.

Would anyone be able to perhaps clarify the following for me? I am currently using the lastest version of Stratux - 1.6r1-eu026.

1) I got nooelec v3 radios - One seems pre-programmed to 1090 Mhz and the second one to 978 Mhz. Do I need to somehow re-program the 978 Mhz unit to 868 Mhz with some SDR software? Or is this somehow done automatically by the Stratux software?

2) Is there any particular order in which the radios need to be connected to the USB ports of the Raspberry Pi? Or any radio can be plugged into any of the two ports, and the Stratux will somehow detect which radio receives on which frequency?

Thank you @b3nn0 for your great support on this Stratux EU project. I saw on your Github page that the Stratux Flarm should be connected to Skydemon via the FLARM-NMEA protocol;
3) But is there any difference between "Air Avionics AT-1" and "FLARM via Airconnect"? 
4) Should GDL90 protocol be only avoided due to stability issues? Or does it have any eventual advantage over FLARM-NMEA?

Also, what power banks are you guys using, and what autonomy do you get? I still didn't buy one, and I read that some may cause interference with the Stratux unit.

Thank you very much in advance.

Welcome to the Stratux Community, here some responses:
1) As long as you leave "Settings-Hardware-978Mhz" disabled (which is the EU default anyway) then this 978 MHz SDR will automatically be used for 868MHz FLARM and OGN so you are all set.
2) Any SDR can be connected to any of the USB ports, no order required at all.
3) I have successfully used both "Air Avionics AT-1" and "FLARM via Airconnect", "Air Avionics AT-1" may be better going forward. In fact @Tim could inform us about potential differences.
4) Both GDL90 and FLARM-NMEA work fine with SD, Mode-S only traffic is better presented by FLARM-NEMA (circle) but GDL90 is the more widespread protocol, @b3nn0 might be able to say more on this topic.
Power banks are usually no issue at all for me but others may have more to report. I recently had Pi3 boards that reported undervoltage with one particular power bank but the same power bank works fine with a Pi4.

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
I've just picked up my European Stratux (from Dross:Aviation) this week. First ground runs are successful, I could get positions from both GDL90 and Flarm-NMEA interfaces. I think I'll use the latter to have a proper bearingless target depiction. Does this have any disadvantages compared to GDL90? May I use both at the same time (pe. an Android tabled with SkyDemon via NMEA and another iPad with ForeFlight via GDL90)?

What I'm struggling with is keeping the 4G connection on the tablet while connected to the Stratux WiFi. I have an Android device and read about the Speedify app on this forum (2Gb/month for SkyDemon use sounds fairly enough), but sill: do I really need a 3rd party app for this? I tried the "mobile data always active" in developer options, but it doesn't do the job. Is the Stratux "Smart WiFi" feature any good for Android?

Maybe one more thing: do the radios produce so much heat that the fan always has to run on 100%? Probably won't be a problem in-flight (except power consumption), but pretty annoying during ground tests...

b3nn0
b
Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)Too Much Forum (235 reputation)
Wrt. Protocol Choice:
Here my rule of thumb:
IF your Stratux is built and configured to receive UAT, AND your are flying in a country where UAT is available (US, CA, Denmark I think?), THEN use GDL90. ELSE use NMEA.
Reason: GDL90 uses UDP as its network protocol, which is a good thing in theory, but with UDP it can happen that packets are dropped, delayed or even received multiple times. It's just part of the protocol and to be expected. Sadly, SD is rather intolerant when it comes to such errors.
Additionally, NMEA has proper support for the bearingless circles, yes. You can not use both at the same time.

Wrt. Internet connection:
Sadly, the way Android does routing over multiple interfaces is quite bad, IMO it's simply buggy. The only way to get this to work with Android is by using Wifi Direct: https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/wiki/Wifi-Direct-and-Android-mobile-data-while-connected-to-Stratux

Wrt. Fan:
This depends on what hardware your Stratux contains and how it is connected. No idea how Dross does it. I assume you don't have a fan control module in there, so you can either connect the fan to 3.3v or 5v. I prefer 3v to have it a bit more quiet. Airflow is good enough either way (well, depends on the fan of course, but full-power is certainly not needed). Google "Raspberry Pi Pins" to see how/where to connect.

BTW: Stratux EU has its own discussion platform, where you usually will quickly get high-quality answers. I don't check in here too often: https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/discussions

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
b3nn0 - 10/7/2021 7:26:38 AM
Wrt. Protocol Choice:
Here my rule of thumb:
IF your Stratux is built and configured to receive UAT, AND your are flying in a country where UAT is available (US, CA, Denmark I think?), THEN use GDL90. ELSE use NMEA.
Reason: GDL90 uses UDP as its network protocol, which is a good thing in theory, but with UDP it can happen that packets are dropped, delayed or even received multiple times. It's just part of the protocol and to be expected. Sadly, SD is rather intolerant when it comes to such errors.
Additionally, NMEA has proper support for the bearingless circles, yes. You can not use both at the same time.

Sadly, the way Android does routing over multiple interfaces is quite bad, IMO it's simply buggy. The only way to get this to work with Android is by using Wifi Direct: https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/wiki/Wifi-Direct-and-Android-mobile-data-while-connected-to-Stratux

Wrt. Fan:
This depends on what hardware your Stratux contains and how it is connected. No idea how Dross does it. I assume you don't have a fan control module in there, so you can either connect the fan to 3.3v or 5v. I prefer 3v to have it a bit more quiet. Airflow is good enough either way (well, depends on the fan of course, but full-power is certainly not needed). Google "Raspberry Pi Pins" to see how/where to connect.

BTW: Stratux EU has its own discussion platform, where you usually will quickly get high-quality answers. I don't check in here too often: https://github.com/b3nn0/stratux/discussions

Thanks for the hints, the NMEA protocol looks quite stable for me and there is no use of UAT here (Switzerland) so I'll continue using this to see 'proper' bearingless targets. Actually, I figured that I can use both NMEA and GDL90 at the same time: I flew with a ForeFlight guy and he could connect to Stratux's WiFi network and receive the GDL90 packages while I was still happily using NMEA in SkyDemon. Great use-case!

Regarding the fans I'm still experimenting with the voltages & temperatures, let's see how that goes. For the time being my biggest trouble is the placement of the device: sadly the suction cup is not enough to hold both the Stratux and the 20Ah power bank. I don't want to connect to aircraft power (because that is on the hot bus of the DA40NG and could drain the battery if left plugged in during a lunch break), so probably need to put the power bank somewhere else...

Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)
Adam Erchegyi - 11/1/2021 11:01:01 AM
b3nn0 - 10/7/2021 7:26:38 AM
Wrt. Protocol Choice:
Here my rule of thumb:

Wrt. Fan:

Thanks for the hints, the NMEA protocol looks quite stable for me and there is no use of UAT here (Switzerland) so I'll continue using this to see 'proper' bearingless targets. Actually, I figured that I can use both NMEA and GDL90 at the same time: I flew with a ForeFlight guy and he could connect to Stratux's WiFi network and receive the GDL90 packages while I was still happily using NMEA in SkyDemon. Great use-case!

Regarding the fans I'm still experimenting with the voltages & temperatures, let's see how that goes. For the time being my biggest trouble is the placement of the device: sadly the suction cup is not enough to hold both the Stratux and the 20Ah power bank. I don't want to connect to aircraft power (because that is on the hot bus of the DA40NG and could drain the battery if left plugged in during a lunch break), so probably need to put the power bank somewhere else...

Try to upgrade your suction cup to black ones with 3M glue.

I also use these sticky pads:

Fedko
F
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
Thank you very much @TouchTheSky and @b3nn0 for your answers, it is very clear.
I will go have a look at Github discussion. 

While I'm here, I would like to take the opportunity to ask about what is the best way to reduce the OGN Noise. 
Looking on the screenshot below, I seem to be suffering from significant range loss: 5.31x. Is there any way to improve this?

Thanks a lot, and happy Holidays to all!

TouchTheSky
T
Fedko - 12/16/2021 8:45:31 PM

While I'm here, I would like to take the opportunity to ask about what is the best way to reduce the OGN Noise. 
Looking on the screenshot below, I seem to be suffering from significant range loss: 5.31x. Is there any way to improve this?

I assume you are using the usual antennas so you may try to move them away from your Pi as it is the source for most of the "noise". A good alternative would be a T style dipole antenna which usually comes with 1-2m cable. Sometimes all metal Pi cases help but then Wifi might become less reliable. Can you post a picture of your Stratux?
Btw, you may consider the Stratux Slack channel where many of us are quite active: Stratux Slack. Besides the "#general" channel there is a particular channel "#stratux-europe-edition".

Fedko
F
TouchTheSky - 12/17/2021 7:02:06 AM
Fedko - 12/16/2021 8:45:31 PM

I assume you are using the usual antennas so you may try to move them away from your Pi as it is the source for most of the "noise". A good alternative would be a T style dipole antenna which usually comes with 1-2m cable. Sometimes all metal Pi cases help but then Wifi might become less reliable. Can you post a picture of your Stratux?
Btw, you may consider the Stratux Slack channel where many of us are quite active: Stratux Slack. Besides the "#general" channel there is a particular channel "#stratux-europe-edition".

Thank you for you answer. 
I will register in Slack. In the meantime, attached a few pictures. Sorry for the orientations, but for some reason the forum in turning them as it wants...

The Startux is on a GoPro mount, and has large 1090 and 868 antennas. It is mounted on the left side window of a C172  between the door and the panel. 

I identified some possible reasons, what do you think?
- the GPS plate is touching the SDR - but I dont really have a solution for that...
- I added a small cooler below the SDRs, as they seem to get hot - do you think that this can have an impact? Should I remove it?

Below the hood, I also have the Dross board with the Baro and AHRS sensor, as well as the off-button. I don't know if these can have any impact on noise?

Thanks!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search