Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon for Mac OS X (unofficially)

Author
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
RickDC10 - 8/9/2018 10:16:45 AM
rikur - 8/7/2018 7:11:36 PM
RickDC10 - 8/5/2018 1:18:31 PM
Dear rikur,

Thanks very much for your initiative.

I downloaded the zip-file, decompressed, dragged it into Applications folder, opened it as described (did away with a pop-up) and then I saw the SkyDemon for Mac name next to the Apple-logo.

This takes about 5 seconds (in the mean time the screen stays unchanged) then my MacBook Air returns to Finder!

Since I didn't see this problem in the forum I thought I'd give it a try by writing you.

I hope I do make some known error during this routine.

Can you please assits me?

Which version of MacOS are you using?

Any can I check which download of Skydemon are you using .... the version known to work with High Sierra is this version:

Make sure you follow the instructions in the first post in this thread.

rikur
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
timvirdee - 8/9/2018 11:49:49 AM
I have the same problem running 10.13.6 and get the following. Have followed instructions very carefully:

"ERROR! cannot write to Info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read-only volume.
This cannot run from within a read-only dmg file."

This error implies that the folder that Skydemon is running within (i.e. the Skydemon folder within the applications folder) is read-only.  Check the properties of the folder (and sub-folders) .... also, you could try moving it outside the Applications folder, as this can sometimes cause issues with permissions.

Frank de Jong
Frank de Jong
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
Hi Rikur,
I've downloaded the version for High Sierra and dragged it to the Applications folder. However: it won't run: it tries to start up and then simply stops and nothing happens. I've changed security settings to allow the app to run.
What am I doing wrong, what should I do?
Thanks for feedback and help.
Best regards,
Frank

Frank de Jong
Frank de Jong
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
Hi Rikur,
Yes, I've followed the correct link. My OS version: High Sierra, 10.13.6. My hardware: MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB solid state HD.
The Skydemon app is installed in my Application folder, following my dragging it from the Downloads folder (no decompressing necessary). There are no sub-folders.
I've also tried your suggestion to move it outside the Applications folder. Same result, it won't start.
Thanks.
Frank

rikur
rikur
Frank de Jong - 8/20/2018 7:20:31 AM
Hi Rikur,
Yes, I've followed the correct link. My OS version: High Sierra, 10.13.6. My hardware: MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB solid state HD.
The Skydemon app is installed in my Application folder, following my dragging it from the Downloads folder (no decompressing necessary). There are no sub-folders.
I've also tried your suggestion to move it outside the Applications folder. Same result, it won't start.
Thanks.
Frank

A couple of things...

1) You will need to decompress it, as the download link is for a zip file. Double clicking the zip file will usually automatically unzip it into a folder of the same name, which you then need to run. Can I check that you are clicking on the unzipped version (which will have Skydemon icon) as opposed to double clicking on the zip file?
2) Can I check that you launched it by holding down control, clicking and selecting open?
3) Does it get as far as a warning about accepting inbound connections?  Does the skydemon icon appear in the dock bar?
4) At the risk of sounding like an IT helpdesk, occassionally it is worth a reboot and then try - as other applications (particularly those that also wrap non-native apps) can cause Wineskin a problem in loading

Frank de Jong
Frank de Jong
Hi Rikur,

Your help and suggestions are appreciated. I had the same thought and rebooted my machine. Hélas, the result was the same. I seem to have a basic problem, but I can't figger out what that is:

When I download the file, it first downloads to the Downloads folder as SkyDemon for Mac 3.10.0.0.zip.download:
blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/6e415126-a82a-4f34-9dfc-78f58d7b2a53

When the download has finished, the file is automatically transformed into SkyDemon for Mac 2018.app (with a .app extension):
blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/15ee3d5c-7214-4eb9-a4e2-b474d4f16023
blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/ff1aa62d-c25e-4ab0-98e0-7562bc38f1ed

When I select Show Package Content (in Finder), I can see various sub-folders and files:
blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/be4a562e-7155-4ff6-afc8-98373a8d17ed

Clicking on the SkyDemon icon (in the Downloads folder) results in an attempt to start the app ("Verifying ...", "Are you sure...") and then produces an error message. It appears as if no unzipping of any kind takes place of that OS X somehow does that automatically.

Would it help if I would create a SkyDemon folder in the Application folder and drag the downloaded SkyDemon for Mac 2018.app file/package to that folder?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Frank

rikur
rikur
Frank de Jong - 8/20/2018 11:12:30 AM
Hi Rikur,

Your help and suggestions are appreciated. I had the same thought and rebooted my machine. Hélas, the result was the same. I seem to have a basic problem, but I can't figger out what that is:

When I download the file, it first downloads to the Downloads folder as SkyDemon for Mac 3.10.0.0.zip.download:
blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/6e415126-a82a-4f34-9dfc-78f58d7b2a53

When the download has finished, the file is automatically transformed into SkyDemon for Mac 2018.app (with a .app extension):
blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/15ee3d5c-7214-4eb9-a4e2-b474d4f16023
blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/ff1aa62d-c25e-4ab0-98e0-7562bc38f1ed

When I select Show Package Content (in Finder), I can see various sub-folders and files:
blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/be4a562e-7155-4ff6-afc8-98373a8d17ed

Clicking on the SkyDemon icon (in the Downloads folder) results in an attempt to start the app ("Verifying ...", "Are you sure...") and then produces an error message. It appears as if no unzipping of any kind takes place of that OS X somehow does that automatically.

Would it help if I would create a SkyDemon folder in the Application folder and drag the downloaded SkyDemon for Mac 2018.app file/package to that folder?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Frank

That helps thanks
You should be control clicking on SkyDemon for Mac 2018.app and selecting Open.  There should then be two security warnings, the first about untrusted app, the second about incoming connections (albeit if you've previously had either/or of these then you might not get it again).
In my experience it should work whether or not you put it in the Applications folder - just for convention that's where apps are run.

Frank de Jong
Frank de Jong
I created a sub-folder in the Application folder and moved the .app file (542/550 MB) to the new folder.
When control clicking + open the app in the new folder I got both security warnings and I allowed for the app to open and for the incoming connections (probably also needed for updates of the charts). The app seems to start (a little black dot appears under the SkyDemon icon in the Dock) and then simply stops, without ever having displayed any of the SD screens.
Something is blocking the app to continue its start-up sequence, but what would that be? I'm puzzled... What settings to check?

rikur
rikur
Frank de Jong - 8/20/2018 11:38:31 AM
I created a sub-folder in the Application folder and moved the .app file (542/550 MB) to the new folder.
When control clicking + open the app in the new folder I got both security warnings and I allowed for the app to open and for the incoming connections (probably also needed for updates of the charts). The app seems to start (a little black dot appears under the SkyDemon icon in the Dock) and then simply stops, without ever having displayed any of the SD screens.
Something is blocking the app to continue its start-up sequence, but what would that be? I'm puzzled... What settings to check?

sounds like you have done the right things  ....... you're not alone in that others have reported the same, and in a small number of cases remain a mystery.  Any anti-virus or security software running?
one final observation - sometimes it does take a good 3 or 4 minutes for the first load of the application to run.
Sorry I haven't got any more definitive solutions - the problems of relying upon free Wineskin.

Frank de Jong
Frank de Jong
FYI:
Today I contacted Apple Support. They suggested to create a 2nd partition on my SSD and to install OS X on it. So I did (Applications / Disk Utility App / Add volume etc.). Then I started-up from the 2nd partition, re-downloaded the app (for High Sierra) and went through the other motions as per Rikur's instructions.
IT WORKS!! And I'm ever so happy... I had no problem with downloading charts and retrieving a planned flight from the cloud.
The only disadvantage is that I have to restart the machine from the 2nd partition (hold down the option key during start-up to be able to select start-up from the partition you want, in my case a choice between "Macintosh HD" and "Partition 2").
Hope that others may benefit from this info as well.
Weather permitting, I'll be practicing airwork at 3,500 ft tomorrow in an area south-east of Utrecht (NL), So ... beware...

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search