Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon for Mac OS X (unofficially)

Author
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Frank de Jong - 8/21/2018 1:49:50 PM
FYI:
Today I contacted Apple Support. They suggested to create a 2nd partition on my SSD and to install OS X on it. So I did (Applications / Disk Utility App / Add volume etc.). Then I started-up from the 2nd partition, re-downloaded the app (for High Sierra) and went through the other motions as per Rikur's instructions.
IT WORKS!! And I'm ever so happy... I had no problem with downloading charts and retrieving a planned flight from the cloud.
The only disadvantage is that I have to restart the machine from the 2nd partition (hold down the option key during start-up to be able to select start-up from the partition you want, in my case a choice between "Macintosh HD" and "Partition 2").
Hope that others may benefit from this info as well.
Weather permitting, I'll be practicing airwork at 3,500 ft tomorrow in an area south-east of Utrecht (NL), So ... beware...

Thanks - that's helpful to know.  Something specific to your previous installation, as opposed to the hardware set-up or the download.  Thanks for the update.

jryam
j
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
Hi rikur

Firstly, well done on creating a much needed mac version, i hope at some point in the future SD creates a supported version.

I wonder if you can help me?  I used to run your version prior to upgrading to High Sierra, but since the upgrade after hours of fiddling, I've not managed to successfully run it.  Any assistance would be gratefully received.

The problem being, on running the app and agreeing to the initial SkyDemon Licence Plan pop up, it then displays a 'New Route' popup, but no SkyDemon map?

I have macOS HS 10.13.6
I have downloaded the zip file for HS v3.10.0.0.zip
In Wineskin I have the following selected

Many thanks, and keep up the good work!!

gratd
g
Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)Forum Member (34 reputation)
Thank you Rikur for creating this, I am so happy with it! Enhances the Skydemon value a lot. 
rikur
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
jryam - 9/14/2018 11:06:12 AM
Hi rikur

Firstly, well done on creating a much needed mac version, i hope at some point in the future SD creates a supported version.

I wonder if you can help me?  I used to run your version prior to upgrading to High Sierra, but since the upgrade after hours of fiddling, I've not managed to successfully run it.  Any assistance would be gratefully received.

The problem being, on running the app and agreeing to the initial SkyDemon Licence Plan pop up, it then displays a 'New Route' popup, but no SkyDemon map?

I have macOS HS 10.13.6

Apologies - I missed this post previously.
Have you used your Mac with an external screen at some stage?  Wineskin doesn't seem to be great at recovering windows back to the current screen if they were last shown on an external screen.   Easiest option seems to be reconnect external screen and move windows back to built in screen. Sometimes just letting Skydemon sit there for a few minutes until the prompt for 'update charts' and then 'update to the latest version'  (pressing Y on each to proceed) seems to force the window back to the right screen.  Sorry I don't have a more definitive solution.

jryam
j
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
rikur - 9/20/2018 7:37:29 PM
jryam - 9/14/2018 11:06:12 AM
Hi rikur

I have macOS HS 10.13.6

Apologies - I missed this post previously.
Have you used your Mac with an external screen at some stage?  Wineskin doesn't seem to be great at recovering windows back to the current screen if they were last shown on an external screen.   Easiest option seems to be reconnect external screen and move windows back to built in screen. Sometimes just letting Skydemon sit there for a few minutes until the prompt for 'update charts' and then 'update to the latest version'  (pressing Y on each to proceed) seems to force the window back to the right screen.  Sorry I don't have a more definitive solution.

Hi rikur

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have an additional screen.

A little while ago I switched the screen positions around (ie made the left screen my right screen) on my desk and changed it in the system preferences. Through the preferences, I switched them back to the original positions, launched SD and hey presto, there she is in all her glory.

Resized SD, dragged onto iMac screen, re-switched screen positions to how they are setup on my desk, closed and re-alunched, and everything works beautifully.

You are a genius..! Thank you.

SmoothFlyer
S
Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)
Thanks for the Mac port.

I have installed SkyDemon for Mac 2018 for High Sierra and have been able to update the version to 3.10.5.

Unfortunately the "What's Here menu" is just not popping up. Strangely enough, the menu does work on my MacBook Air, but not on my iMac. Any ideas? (I have completely removed and reinstalled the app and have updated the charts)

Edited 10/6/2018 6:19:22 PM by SmoothFlyer
rikur
rikur
SmoothFlyer - 10/6/2018 6:17:40 PM
Thanks for the Mac port.

I have installed SkyDemon for Mac 2018 for High Sierra and have been able to update the version to 3.10.5.

Unfortunately the "What's Here menu" is just not popping up. Strangely enough, the menu does work on my MacBook Air, but not on my iMac. Any ideas? (I have completely removed and reinstalled the app and have updated the charts)

Yes - this can be fixed.
Locate Skydemon, and right click.  Select 'show package contents'
Then run 'Wineskin'
Choose 'Screen options' and tick 'Use Mac Driver instead of X11'
Then Done, Then Quit
I'll include this by default in future builds

SmoothFlyer
S
Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)
rikur - 10/6/2018 6:38:02 PM
SmoothFlyer - 10/6/2018 6:17:40 PM
Thanks for the Mac port.

Yes - this can be fixed.
Locate Skydemon, and right click.  Select 'show package contents'
Then run 'Wineskin'
Choose 'Screen options' and tick 'Use Mac Driver instead of X11'
Then Done, Then Quit
I'll include this by default in future builds

Thanks Rikur. That worked just fine!

Gourls
G
Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)
Hi all, 
Here is the specs of my macbook air. 
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

The problem im getting when i download and run skydemon on this is that i get the error " ERROR cannot write to info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read only volume
This cannot run within a read-only dmg file. 

So i followed the steps on this forum and when skydemon boots up, it just stays in the dock and doesn't show on the desktop. Ive tried to go into the Wineskin to change the settings in there but nothing seems to work. 

Can anyone help with this?
I have created a windows partition on my macbook in order to run skydemon,  but thats just a pain....

thanks 

Edited 10/19/2018 10:12:21 AM by Gourls
Gourls
G
Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)
SemperFi - 10/20/2018 7:49:31 AM
Gourls - 10/19/2018 10:10:51 AM
Hi all, 
Here is the specs of my macbook air. 
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

The problem im getting when i download and run skydemon on this is that i get the error " ERROR cannot write to info.plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a read only volume
This cannot run within a read-only dmg file. 

So i followed the steps on this forum and when skydemon boots up, it just stays in the dock and doesn't show on the desktop. Ive tried to go into the Wineskin to change the settings in there but nothing seems to work. 

Can anyone help with this?
I have created a windows partition on my macbook in order to run skydemon,  but thats just a pain....

thanks 

As long as there is no native Skydemon for Mac, the magnificent MacOS WINE port is a workaround, so you maybe better stay at the PC version on a separate partition if you really rely on the function - there are shortcomings.

What you did not mention is your macOS version?
When you tried to run the software from dmg, which indeed does not work, did you erase all Skydemon before putting it in the program folder?

I just updated to the Mojave OS. 
Yeah i erased everything to do with SD before putting into the folder. 
I think ill just use the partition for the time being Smile  

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search