Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

GAR filing

Author
Nigel.harradine@bris.ac.uk
Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I used the GAR filing for the first time last week when filing for a flight back from Caen to Bristol. The file plan filed fine and sent me a confirming e mail. The GAR seemed to file and gave me a reference number which i duly noted. Before departure, immigration at Bristol phoned me to say that the had spotted our intended arrival via the flight plan, but had received no GAR. I told them I had filed it 30 minutes before. They were not au fait with SkyDemon and asked where i and sent it to and of course I had no idea where I had sent it to. The lady searched but could find no GAR and phoned back, but we were airborne. On landing, they requested I resent the GAR which i again did on SD and again received no confirming e mail. The lady in immigration appreciated that we had done our best and requested that in future, we  copy her in with an e mail, which we could do, attaching either the written details or a screen capture of the SD GAR form. When I last heard she was searching in Manchester central immigration for any sign of our GAR. Am I missing some important step here? I had a good wifi when i sent the GARs and had no problem receiving e mail confirmation of the flight plan. Help please
Tags
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
You need to file your GAR four hours in advance of your estimated time of arrival. It sounds like you filed it, then pretty much immediately got airborne from Caen?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
You need to contact the folks at OnlineGAR.com about this. It's their service you are using integrated inside SkyDemon, and they are equipped to help with your query.
Nigel.harradine@bris.ac.uk...
Nigel.harradine@bris.ac.uk
Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)Too Much Forum (760 reputation)
thanks you for those replies. regarding the advance notice, i filed the GAR 7 hours before anticipated ETA and was phoned 2 hours later -still 3 hours pre take-off - by immigration. 
Thank you Tim. i will try to contact OnlineGAR.com
mikeRM
mikeRM
Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)
I have given up trying to use the GAR app and the associated Free AOPA site and Skydemon. THey are fine in theory but the GAR APP people have screwed up a system that worked perfectly last year and they have the nerve to charge £3 per GAR for it. At least it's free on Skydemon. I spent a frustrating hour under pressure at Weert Budel trying to use the New APP for a GAR to my non ICAO base which is in the database but would not validate. Not what you want before a flight. On another flight I spent 2 hours not under pressure in a friends house in Germany trying to file the GAR via both Skydemon and the AOPA site without success. I sent the old GAR form by Email in the end.

Out of interest, my German friends, 7 aircraft, who have just toured UK and Southern Ireland with me sent a single combined Excel spreadsheet with all the necessary details for all aircraft, pilots, and intended route over 7 days to the GAR people. They were met by the Border Force at Popham on the way in to the VAC meeting and after checking the paperwork the Border Force people congratulated them on the submission - just what we want! i.e. We didn't have to wade through 28 individual GAR applications!

Mike
Liam Sandie
Liam Sandie
Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)
I have had no issues with the GAR feature. I agree £3 a pop is now expensive when you can email it for free via a scanned piece of paper but at least with SD it remains free.

You do need to contact onlinegar and raise this as it sounds potentially very problematic.

Please post back with what they say.

https://www.instagram.com/liam548/

Pete
Pete
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
The email reply from onlineGAR with a reference number is all that you are required to have,see attached file.
However it seems that some of the border force people do not understand their system.
I had a similar scenario recently and spoke to John Murray /AOPA about it.
Here is his edited reply:

Pete
can you let me know 'who' said they don't get onlinegar
it is absolutely untrue - there are CBP terminals in every SB and BF office
I spoke with ***** SB...
They say they are 'encouraging' all to use the onlineGAR

- file online
- get your GAR ID
-  tell anyone who wants to know it
-and you should be fireproof

Seems to me the main  problem is ********** who have not read the Home Office Guidance to airfields which has just been reissued

I quote from it (same rules apply to SB and CTA flight) CBP is the backend to  OnlineGAR - ..................

So as I understand it, they need to check their CBP terminal for your reference, where apparently they WILL find it!
regards
Pete

Attachments
mikeRM
mikeRM
Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)Too Much Forum (907 reputation)
Right now I'm so busy I haven't got time to go into problems with 3rd party software. I might look into it in the winter when things cool down a bit. It's possible the problems are because I'm now using an iPhone whereas I had an android last year. I'm not averse to paying a one off charge for an app if it's useful and works properly, but £3 per GAR rather sticks in the gullet. The app is slightly more convenient than the various other methods of filing a GAR but given the problems I've had I'm inclined to stick to the tried and trusted methods.

Mike
Edited 8/9/2014 12:20:48 PM by mikeRM
Liam Sandie
Liam Sandie
Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)
Mike if you got the email through then it worked, and it is not your problem.

https://www.instagram.com/liam548/

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search