Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Problems with Flarm on Ipad

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have spoken to Air and they are looking in to the issue. They will post on this thread soon with their results. In the meantime, they'd like to know, which version of the Butterfly Connect you are using?
Geoffl
Geoffl
Too Much Forum (308 reputation)Too Much Forum (308 reputation)Too Much Forum (308 reputation)Too Much Forum (308 reputation)Too Much Forum (308 reputation)Too Much Forum (308 reputation)Too Much Forum (308 reputation)Too Much Forum (308 reputation)Too Much Forum (308 reputation)
Thanks Tim.

Tags
Marc - AIR Avionics
Marc - AIR Avionics
Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)
Hello everybody,

my name is Marc, I work at AIR Avionics (formerly Butterfly Avionics) and I'm responsible for Connect as a product and for the customer support at AIR Avionics. We spent the better part of today evaluating and testing where the issue you reported (and Tim told us about on thursday evening, thank you Tim) comes from.

To be honest: We have no hint yet. We have tested a lot of systems and so far everything works beautifully. To get a hold of the problem and to identify which users are affected I would like to know the following from you:

- The device you use (e.g. iPhone 5S)
- your current OS version (e.g. iOS 7.1.1)
- your AIR Connect/Butterfly Connect serial number
- your Network SSID (WiFly-GSX or WiFly-EZX)
- a short description of the faulty behavior

This will help us isolating the problem.

Some general tips we think that are helpful:
- activate the "Ask to join networks" option in the iOS settings when using connect
- if possible, turn on airplane mode in your device

I will check here infrequently. It would be great if all affected users would communicate through this forum or via eMail to support@airavionics.com.
Many thanks in advance and have a nice evening.
Marc

EDIT: Please let me know if there are issues via eMail. Its hard for us to check this form frequently, sorry.
Edited 5/30/2014 2:37:27 PM by Marc - AIR Avionics
keleco
keleco
Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)
Hi Derek,I bought the P/F Core 5 months ago it wouldn't show any Traffic so I've sent it back for them to sort it out.
Anyway if you are using Butterfly Wifi and still getting message Failed to connect but have good Wifi,you need to disable Wifi on Ipad settings wait a few seconds then enable it again.Then press Go Flying.Also you can disable location services on Ipad and use the Core GPS.
"..
DerekL
DerekL
Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)

I have just received my Flarm Core unit back from LX Avionics repaired under warranty ( thanks John excellent service ) I have only managed to test it on the ground but everything appears to work picking up the network and GPS data. I left it on for 10 - 15 mins and it did not drop out. Only problem was an error message saying Unable to load Notam data. This should not happen because setting is for Live data on planning only.Maybe Tim can comment.

Regards Derek
Paul Mahony
Paul Mahony
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
I also have a message for Tim regarding PF Core that either he can answer or direct me to Air Avionics if it is in their domain.

I purchased the audio licence for my PF Core a few weeks ago but I have had to disable it again as I am getting an annoyingly continuous faint tone in my headsets. I get a nice loud tone telling me that the unit has switched on but then I can hear a faint tone of the same frequency always in the background.

One thing that is strange is that the warning tone signals from my glass panel to my radio/headsets are via two wires (a positive and a negative) but the PF Core audio tone output is only via one wire - which I have connected in parallel to the positive input of my radio/headsets alongside the glass panel warning signals. Why is there no negative output wire for the audio from the PF Core

Probably one question that Tim can answer is this: Is it possible to enlarge the green icon for an ADSB or FLARM contact? The other day, I was suddenly drawn to my iPad showing a 'green ring' surrounding my own aircraft's yellow icon. This told me that somewhere directly above or below me was another aircraft. On looking straight up through my top windows, I saw a commercial twin-engine Islander overtaking me on the same course about 500 feet above me and obviously transmitting ADSB which the PF Core picked up.

It was great knowing that my PF Core was working (although it would have been better if the audio was functioning correctly) but when I then watched the Islander pull away from me and the green ring turned to a green 'plane icon with a black number denoting distance, it was very hard to see it on my 10" iPad as it is tiny!! Could you please make this icon/number bigger? Zooming my iPad enlarged my aircraft's icon but didn't seem to enlarge the target aircraft's icon.

Many thanks.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Zooming the map has no effect on either your own aircraft symbol or the symbols used to represent other aircraft. You can set the size of your own symbol in the navigation options. The size of other aircraft symbols varies depending upon how close they are to your own altitude. If they are over 1000 feet above or below, the size will be quite small in comparison (0.4 times the radius, to be precise).
Marc - AIR Avionics
Marc - AIR Avionics
Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)Too Much Forum (246 reputation)
Hi and sorry for the late reply, I am not here very often. Please contact our support eMail in urgent cases.

I'm not sure if your audio issue has been resolved yet, if not, please contact me via support@airavionics.aero. I suspect this to be an installation issue or at least something we can sort out changing the audio installation/setup.

Best regards
Marc
Paul Mahony
Paul Mahony
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your replies.

With regards to the background noise coming over my intercom from the Powerflarm Core audio output, I called Powerflarm and they said that instead of the ordinary piece of wire that I used to connect the device to my intercom, I should have used a screened cable and earthed both ends of the screen at the Powerflarm Core end and the earth terminal of my audio-in connector of the intercom. This I did and voila, no more background noise!

I then asked about the size of the numbers (altitude/direction/distance) next to the Powerflarm warning circles on the iPad using SD and he said he has had a lot of comments about the size of these numbers being too small/difficult for people to read when using Powerflarm with SD on an iPad - even when the threat was very close. He said that there was nothing that Powerflarm could do to increase the size of these numbers but that I should redirect my request back to SD!

Tim, could you possibly revisit this issue to see if the numbers could be made bigger because it appears that I am not alone in finding this a problem? I would rather the numbers show very prominently as they give vital information and they aren't really on the screen for very long so any map information they block out is only likely to be a temporary event. I am really pleased with how Powerflarm core is working with iPad SD and the warning circles and tones but I just can't read the numbers! Please feel free to call Powerflarm and discuss this and to hear about other users who have noted this when using Powerflarm with SD on iPad.

Thanks for your continued help!

Paul

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Yes, we could certainly look at doing that. Would you mind posting a quick screenshot showing what the numbers currently look like on your device, just so we can make sure they're not abnormally small due to another factor?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search