Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon for IPAD

Author
U
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi All,

My first post in these forums, I want know what kind of iPad I’ll need for skydemon to work? The one with cellular and WiFi or just cellular? Also when flying will I need internet access to my iPad when using skydemon?

During my PPL training I was taught to use chart and dead reckoning navigation, but now since I’ve passed my skills test I am looking to invest into sky demon for my navigation and situational awareness backed up by CAA 1:500:000 VFR chart.

Thanks for your input.

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
UA1775 - 3/31/2021 1:04:47 PM
Hi All,

My first post in these forums, I want know what kind of iPad I’ll need for skydemon to work? The one with cellular and WiFi or just cellular? Also when flying will I need internet access to my iPad when using skydemon?

During my PPL training I was taught to use chart and dead reckoning navigation, but now since I’ve passed my skills test I am looking to invest into sky demon for my navigation and situational awareness backed up by CAA 1:500:000 VFR chart.

Thanks for your input.

Hi UA1775,
I suggest you go for the option that provides both cellular and WIFI capabilities.
You don't actually need either to get SD working for pure navigation purposes but a cellular capability will allow you to receive weather data and NOTAM updates while flying (or on the ground before departure).
A WIFI capability will allow you to connect to a Electronic Conspicuity (EC)  device of your choice, which I am sure you will want to have.
Tony

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
UA1775 - 3/31/2021 1:04:47 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for your input.

My advice, definitely get an iPad with Cellular and load it with a data SIM card!

There is nothing more important than redundancy and risk management being either a pilot or even maturing to airmen. By company decision Apple decided to use a GPS which is physically sharing housing with the Cellular equipment = only the Cellular versions have GPS functionality built in, or other way around - a WiFi-only iPad relies on some kind of connectivity to an external device to get the position. If your power goes off in an emergency, you want the option to use the iPad standalone including tracking.

I second too, you also want the ability to pull weather data, NOTAM updates, other documents when on the road. There is huge benefit to be able to pull the latest news or a webcam picture right before departure and the mobile net connected iPad is a much better way than using a smartphone.

One word of warning, even if we are in a Skydemon dedicated forum her, get yourself acquainted with special features, drawbacks and limitations of several navigation software option before you decide which one to use. Yes, Skydemon is probably the most affordable solution, but choose only after being aware of its limitations. Get a list of your requirements first and talk to a lot of people around you about what kind of flying you want to do. In many cases Skydemon is the right choice, but choose on knowledge and awareness in the decision.

Edited 4/1/2021 10:11:57 AM by pilot-byom
FLYBARRY
F
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)
I am in the Colonies - The USA.

My questions are:
1 - How much data space is required for SkyDeamond (SD)?
I ask this as I am currently using an iPad Air and running ForeFlight (FF).  Yes, I do understand space is defined by how many charts/areas you want to download currently I have FF and 17 states. 

2 - Charts - Are the charts Certified to b used by the FAA for fight?
Example - FF is totally acceptable to be used in place of paper charts.  Matter of fact, here in the Colonies, it is very difficult to find an FBO that sells paper charts.

3 - WX - How is WX obtained?
I do have ADSB Out via the Xponder (Stratus ESG Out) and I SOMETIMES receive WX via a Raspberry Pi (RPi) running STRTUX which transmits to the iPad.  BUT!  WX has been unreliable - Either because I have been flying on Severe Clear days or ???

4 - WX - Keeping on the WX topic.  How is WX received when On The Ground?  My RPi and STRATUX is only receiving when airborne and when above 2500 Ft.

5 - Additional Equipment - Other than an iPad and SD, what additional equipment is required?

6 - SD - With FF I am running ONLY the BASIC subscription and it does very well for me.  What are the different levels of SD and what do they offer?  
Yes, I will research the SD website.  Just looking for a Heads Up!

OK, that is all I can think of at this time.  Thank you for your assistance and input.

Barry

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
FLYBARRY - 4/1/2021 1:48:23 PM
OK, that is all I can think of at this time.  Thank you for your assistance and input.

Barry

Hi Barry, sorry for not answering your questions and maybe not being of much help! Only and just a short remark, I do use Skydemon for flying VFR in Europe, but ... in the US it is ForeFlight for me, Skydemon is very (too) Europe-centric, but others may have a different opinion.

Edited 4/1/2021 2:46:20 PM by pilot-byom
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
pilot-byom - 4/1/2021 2:23:15 PM

Barry

Hi Barry, sorry for not answering your questions and maybe not being of much help! Only and just a short remark, I do use Skydemon for flying VFR in Europe, but ... in the US it is ForeFlight for me, Skydemon is very (too) Europe-centric, but others may have a different opinion.

I (partially, as I don’t  think it is too Europe-centric) agree. The target market for SD is Europe, and many of the features that make it the VFR category killer over here just won't work in the US.

Edited 4/1/2021 10:57:27 PM by grahamb
FLYBARRY
F
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)
pilot-byom - 4/1/2021 2:23:15 PM

Barry

THANK YOU for the response.  WOW that was quick ;-)
OK, I believe you supplied me with the Bottom Line Answer...  Stick with ForeFlight.  I sure like the idea of weather information, and the simulated radar.  Maybe in the future ForeFlight will have competition from SkyDeamon.

Thanks BYOM...
BTW...   I support BYOG or as you say BYOMoney

Barry

TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
I have had full licenses for SkyDemon and for Foreflight. I am neither in Europe nor the U.S., so on neither package’s home turf. For me, SD wins hands down.

Foreflight is very much geared towards the fix wing guy flying as per flight plan, and with auto pilot. When everything is quiet up there and you have plenty of time, you can fiddle with the many minuscule bottoms of the Foreflight user interface

For hands-on, low level VFR flying SD is much more useable, and gives you much better situational awareness. Case in point is that Foreflight doesn’t even tell you FRQ *below* the TMA; it automatically assumes that you are *in* the TMA.

Also, Foreflight is overladen with features that mostly look good on paper. Like the quarter screen synthetic vision. If you rely on synthetic vision, it better be a fixture permanently installed in front of you, not something that goes away when you look up a runway direction, etc. As much as it is elegantly implemented in Foreflight, in real life it is just a gimmick.

GGHKX
G
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)
Hi

Sorry for jumping on this thread.

I already have the latest iPad (wifi only) so don’t fancy buying a new one - I’ve only just decided to get back into flying after a couple of year hiatus.

If I were to tether my iPhone to my iPad, would this get me to the same end result of weather updates, tracking etc?

I’m comfortable using my iPhone 12 Max if it comes to it, but if I can use my iPad, even better.

Cheers
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
GGHKX - 5/15/2021 3:49:07 PM
Hi

Sorry for jumping on this thread.

I already have the latest iPad (wifi only) so don’t fancy buying a new one - I’ve only just decided to get back into flying after a couple of year hiatus.

If I were to tether my iPhone to my iPad, would this get me to the same end result of weather updates, tracking etc?

I’m comfortable using my iPhone 12 Max if it comes to it, but if I can use my iPad, even better.

Cheers

Yes

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search