Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Losing connection with switching apps in iOS (Read 2 times)

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Netflix is using the internet. There are mechanisms in iOS to keep apps up-to-date over the internet while in the background, and background app refresh is one of them.

This does not work with receiving position information over a wifi hotspot.

marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Timothy - that’s a real shame. How about two improvement requests

1) when minimised, check if location services exist and revert to using that. This keeps the logs intact (as far as possible)
2) when maximised check if previously connected to a WiFi hotspot and revert to that.

Is there no way to do a “keep alive” or ping?
Edited 6/24/2019 2:11:34 PM by marioair
marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
marioair
m
My last post I've linked to a few developers pages showing use of wifi when in background mode. Can you get Tim to have a look at these and post back on the forum either way? I've still not seen a comment on whey SD does not show up as an App that supports IOS Background Application Refresh - can you confirm why not??

(ps l do love your product so please don't take my constant badgering as an annoyance. I am a member of PPL/IR and am wanting to get to the bottom of this so i can convince everyone that SD can be used alongside IFR apps inflight )

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
1. Stop calling me Timothy
2. Please rest assured that as the chief developer at SkyDemon, I know what Background App Refresh is and why it doesn't apply to SkyDemon paired with PilotAware.

marioair
m
I’m sure you’ve been called worse Smile. You may address me as Mr Paying Customer or Loyal Fan, whichever you prefer.

Thanks, after several pages, of confirming BAR doesn’t work on WiFi!

Hannah tells me that you’ve kindly worked on a patch to get it to resume when the app Is brought into foreground - is that correct? Could I ask for an additional tweak? Have an option (user selected in configuration or timed) that automatically switches to location services if in background mode?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
We have removed the code which eventually gave up on a UDP connection to PilotAware for the next version of SkyDemon. In future, SkyDemon will sit there waiting for data to be received forever.

It's not clear whether Apple would allow dynamic switching to their location services when the app is being put to sleep, an action which would itself trigger their special background mode to keep the app awake. It would be more of a fundamental architecture change for SkyDemon than the "tweak" you optimistically describe, so I'm afraid it's not on the cards regardless.

marioair
m
Oh well thanks at least for looking into it. If iOS changes in the future please bear it in mind. Cheers
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/28/2019 10:08:00 AM
We have removed the code which eventually gave up on a UDP connection to PilotAware for the next version of SkyDemon. In future, SkyDemon will sit there waiting for data to be received forever.

It's not clear whether Apple would allow dynamic switching to their location services when the app is being put to sleep, an action which would itself trigger their special background mode to keep the app awake. It would be more of a fundamental architecture change for SkyDemon than the "tweak" you optimistically describe, so I'm afraid it's not on the cards regardless.

Thank you, this is working fine now.,

marioair
m
Do you mean the UDP fix for it to auto reconnect to PaW when brought back into foreground?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search