SkyDemon Forums

Losing connection with switching apps in iOS (Read 2 times)

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic28784.aspx

By Tim Dawson - 6/28/2019 10:08:00 AM

We have removed the code which eventually gave up on a UDP connection to PilotAware for the next version of SkyDemon. In future, SkyDemon will sit there waiting for data to be received forever.

It's not clear whether Apple would allow dynamic switching to their location services when the app is being put to sleep, an action which would itself trigger their special background mode to keep the app awake. It would be more of a fundamental architecture change for SkyDemon than the "tweak" you optimistically describe, so I'm afraid it's not on the cards regardless.
By marioair - 6/28/2019 8:39:00 PM

Oh well thanks at least for looking into it. If iOS changes in the future please bear it in mind. Cheers
By TimT - 8/25/2019 8:36:01 PM

Tim Dawson - 6/28/2019 10:08:00 AM
We have removed the code which eventually gave up on a UDP connection to PilotAware for the next version of SkyDemon. In future, SkyDemon will sit there waiting for data to be received forever.

It's not clear whether Apple would allow dynamic switching to their location services when the app is being put to sleep, an action which would itself trigger their special background mode to keep the app awake. It would be more of a fundamental architecture change for SkyDemon than the "tweak" you optimistically describe, so I'm afraid it's not on the cards regardless.

Thank you, this is working fine now.,
By marioair - 8/25/2019 9:41:43 PM

Do you mean the UDP fix for it to auto reconnect to PaW when brought back into foreground?
By marioair - 6/19/2019 8:32:36 PM

I was wondering if you can help - I'm being bounced between various people to find the answer!

I have SD using PilotAware as GPS source all running on Ipad Mini ios12

If i minimise skydemon (switch apps or go to home screen) after about 5 mins (reproducible consistently and even at home when not flying) it will lose the GPS/Wifi from PaW. It comes up with the "no signal received for some time..." message

I'm pretty sure its a PaW problem, as when i use the IPAD internal GPS and switch SD to background, SD still works fine, so I think its something to do with the wifi connection to PaW. Is there any logging in SD i can get it to prove if this is the case?