Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Losing connection with switching apps in iOS (Read 2 times)

Author
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
leemoore1966 - 6/23/2019 1:46:42 PM

TimT - 6/22/2019 4:21:46 PM
PAW Support reckons that this needs to be fixed on SD's side.

Hi TimT (and TimD)
I don't think there is anything that can be done on our side - this may be a 'feature' of iOS that the Apps are put to sleep when the iPad is locked, and hence the timer in SD stops listening after not receiving data for some period
thx
Lee

Hi Lee

Thanks for giving it some thought! I'd like to respond as follows:

- What is the "timer in SD" set to? In my experience, this happens immediately, < 5 sec: Even if the iPad is locked, and then unlocked again within 3 sec, SD would have gone back to planning. If your timer was set to anything > 10 sec, I'd argue that the 'loss of listening'; is *not* related to the timer.

- Why then is it so different, and so much more stable, if the GPS information is coming to SD via the inbuilt GPS of a cellular iOS devise, or via Bluetooth from an external GPS receiver? Wouldn't according to your initial analysis this (the device locking putting the app to sleep) cause the same problems regardless of how the GPS information to sent to the app? 

I can confirm that only in the PAW scenario SD loses track of where it is and reverts to planning mode if the iPad gets locked for a second. 

marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)
Lee can you also confirm what the “refresh app in background” does in iOS. Plenty of GPS based apps like GMaps support it, but not SD.
marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)
Perhaps if we can find someone with another external WiFi based source (garnin glo?) and see if that does the same?
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Garmin Glo is Bluetooth based. No problems there.
marioair
m
I have a Golze ADL so I’ll try it with that.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
As soon as you close SkyDemon, all its network connections are also closed. Same with any app. Because SkyDemon is using a network connection to a PilotAware, that connection is closed. It is literally impossible for SkyDemon to log your position, warn you about anything, or do anything useful if you minimise it or put your iPad to sleep when connected to a PilotAware.

iOS behaves differently when it comes to its internal GPS or any compatible Bluetooth GPS that uses location services; in this case, SkyDemon is able to keep logging because iOS handles is specially.

So, what we can do about this depends upon what you actually perceive as the problem. If the problem is that SkyDemon isn't logging any more or warning, we can't do anything about that. If the problem is that you'd like SkyDemon to attempt to reconnect to your device once you've woken it up again, we can do something about that. You'll still have broken logs though.

marioair
m
Hi Timothy

What you say doesn’t seem to quite make sense with what we are seeing. For example, if I kick off a Netflix download and then minimise the app it still continues its download.
I also see there’s a function on iOS called “background App refresh” but SD isn’t compatible?
TimT
TimT
Tim Dawson - 6/24/2019 10:37:13 AM
As soon as you close SkyDemon, all its network connections are also closed. Same with any app. Because SkyDemon is using a network connection to a PilotAware, that connection is closed. It is literally impossible for SkyDemon to log your position, warn you about anything, or do anything useful if you minimise it or put your iPad to sleep when connected to a PilotAware.

iOS behaves differently when it comes to its internal GPS or any compatible Bluetooth GPS that uses location services; in this case, SkyDemon is able to keep logging because iOS handles is specially.

So, what we can do about this depends upon what you actually perceive as the problem. If the problem is that SkyDemon isn't logging any more or warning, we can't do anything about that. If the problem is that you'd like SkyDemon to attempt to reconnect to your device once you've woken it up again, we can do something about that. You'll still have broken logs though.

If the problem is that you'd like SkyDemon to attempt to reconnect to your device once you've woken it up again, we can do something about that.

Yes that already would be a great improvement.

You'll still have broken logs though.

I understand.

Edited 6/24/2019 11:42:31 AM by TimT
TimT
TimT
marioair - 6/24/2019 10:47:44 AM
Hi TimothyWhat you say doesn’t seem to quite make sense with what we are seeing. For example, if I kick off a Netflix download and then minimise the app it still continues its download. I also see there’s a function on iOS called “background App refresh” but SD isn’t compatible?

Yes, And Google Maps for example pushes turn by turn instruction banners to the top of my iPhone screen, even if a switch to another app in the foreground ...

marioair
m
TimT it depends if google maps has a GPS connection too. Timothy is saying GPS connection works different to WIFI??
However I’m sure there’s some WiFi connected apps that work in background no problem.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search