Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Download of AIP-data via WLAN extremly slow

Author
w
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I experience the same issue on three iPad mini, all with iOS 12.01, latest Skydemon version:

With a WiFi connection AIP files take a very long to load.
Approach Charts from my DFS subscription show same issue, but here the load even stops for larger files. Can then only stop Skydemon with the Task Manager.

Wolfgang
EGBPdriver
E
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
wvolmer2 - 10/30/2018 5:20:48 PM
I experience the same issue on three iPad mini, all with iOS 12.01, latest Skydemon version:With a WiFi connection AIP files take a very long to load.Approach Charts from my DFS subscription show same issue, but here the load even stops for larger files. Can then only stop Skydemon with the Task Manager. Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang.

I had the same problem with it stopping with particularly large files. I found that if you make a note of the file name, then find the file in the AIP section and download it individually it downloads quickly - it also then unblocks the downloading of other files behind it.

Hope this helps !!!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)
This is really strange, because it's the exact same code that runs to download a plate individually as runs when it's doing it as part of a batch.

I tried it from home last night and it worked perfectly quick.

There seem to be two different issues here, the first is general slowness during a download and the second is an actual hang of the software.

EGBPdriver
E
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/31/2018 1:01:33 PM
This is really strange, because it's the exact same code that runs to download a plate individually as runs when it's doing it as part of a batch.

I tried it from home last night and it worked perfectly quick.

There seem to be two different issues here, the first is general slowness during a download and the second is an actual hang of the software.

You'd have thought but there's obviously some form of queue processing going on with the batch download. Also - with regards hanging - I think that the 'Cancel' button only responds between individual file downloads, not as a separate thread - so if you encounter a particularly large file, the cancel button will not work until it has downloaded that file.

Downloading individual files seems fine - and using this mechanism to 'unblock' the batch processing has allowed me to download the AIP updates I need - so there is a work around.

Definitely only been an issue since the last update and seems independent of IOS version - Can't say why it's working for some and not for others though. 

wvolmer2
w
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
I upraded one of my iPad mini to very latest iOS 12.1 last night (It think Apple released it yesterday)

And the device now replicates the AIP files just fine. There are large files in the French AIP (> 17 MB), where my iPad was stuck before.

(in order to stress test this a bit I deleted the entire French AIP before, to get it all loaded again)

Not sure if iOS 12.1 made this happen, but something has changed to the better.

Wolfgang

Edited 11/1/2018 9:39:13 AM by wvolmer2
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)
The cancel button cancels immediately; it does not wait for the end of the file before dismissing the window.
EGBPdriver
E
Tim,

It does look like you are throttling when you use the bulk / batch download option, whereas you aren't when you individually download plates.

Perhaps this is causing the difference??

From my firewall, when using the batch option the url request is: 

Note: throttle=true

Whereas when downloading individually, it is simply: 

Sbihour
S
Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)
Hello everyone

1st post here and I also confirm the bulk AIP download issue.
The problem can occur on very large files (like the french AIP one or on UK GEN 2.3 chart symbols >17 mb) but also on smaller ones > 800 k.

Hope this helps,
Regards
Sylvain.
iOS 12.0.1
SkyDemon 3.10.5.134
E4z9
E
Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)Junior Member (18 reputation)
For me, download of complete AIPs take a very very long time.
During the batch download, the progressing speed of individual files seems to grow non-linearly with the size.
A 1MB file took a few seconds, a 6 MB file took more like a minute or two.
The german AIP ENR 6 Enroute Chart Lower Airspace with 12MB didn't finish after 15 minutes. The cancel button did not work at all during that time. The device was getting warm.
Maybe it is not the download itself, but there seems to be a UI blocking operation that takes very long for bigger files during batch processing.
Downloading the above 12MB file succeeds in less than a second when done manually as an individual file.

EGBPdriver
E
E4z9 - 11/3/2018 6:55:30 PM
For me, download of complete AIPs take a very very long time.
During the batch download, the progressing speed of individual files seems to grow non-linearly with the size.
A 1MB file took a few seconds, a 6 MB file took more like a minute or two.
The german AIP ENR 6 Enroute Chart Lower Airspace with 12MB didn't finish after 15 minutes. The cancel button did not work at all during that time. The device was getting warm.
Maybe it is not the download itself, but there seems to be a UI blocking operation that takes very long for bigger files during batch processing.
Downloading the above 12MB file succeeds in less than a second when done manually as an individual file.

Thanks for confirming what I am also seeing here. 

As you say, individually it seems fine so it is something in the batch process. So far, concerns have been dismissed - but hopefully the more people that report the problem it may get looked at.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search