Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Download of AIP-data via WLAN extremly slow

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Years ago we used to throttle plate downloads. Not for a long time now though.

Clearly this is an issue for some people, it seems to be on our iOS product, and it doesn't always happen. We haven't managed to make it happen ourselves yet though.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
I reported this to Tim and Hannah a few weeks ago. I'm just bulk updating 17 AIPs on my iPad Pro, a total size of 399Mb as I write. Its been running for about 45 minutes now and only about 27% complete.

Going through the individual AIPs and manually downloading individual documents may be fine when you have one AIP to update, but doing it for several or more is completely impractical.

Edited 11/8/2018 11:05:03 AM by grahamb
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
I wish I could convince people they do not need 17 AIPs cached on their devices. What an enormous waste of everybody's storage and bandwidth.

I am going to do some work this afternoon on trying to get around this slow or blocked download issue, and perhaps even post a beta if we get that far.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 11/8/2018 12:11:13 PM
I wish I could convince people they do not need 17 AIPs cached on their devices. What an enormous waste of everybody's storage and bandwidth.

I am going to do some work this afternoon on trying to get around this slow or blocked download issue, and perhaps even post a beta if we get that far.

Well, I normally have two or three, but at the moment I'm planning a large trip around Europe for next year, working out both IFR and VFR options, so it suits me to have them all to hand. Storage for me is no problem, they barely scratch the surface of a 256GB iPad.

Next time I binge watch a streamed box set because I've got nothing better to do, I'll remind myself what a waste of bandwidth it is.Smile

Edited 11/8/2018 1:01:11 PM by grahamb
EGBPdriver
E
Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 11/8/2018 12:11:13 PM

Thanks Tim. It has only been since updating to 3.10.5.134

Regarding multiple AIPs - we did an around Europe summer trip and we needed quite a few. 
For the future - one improvement in managing this area would be to have the ability to delete individual AIPs - at the moment your only option is to "Clear Document Cache" - which wipes everything and you need to re-download AIPs that you still need....... OR....... you keep the AIPs that you no longer need - hence end up with quite a few.
May help your cause in this area!

Skyboy999
Skyboy999
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
experiencing same- noted in similar thread running in other SD forum. I've also noticed that when hanging/running v slow, battery depletes rapidly- might indicate some sort of looping?
EGBPdriver
E
Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)
Skyboy999 - 11/10/2018 9:36:40 AM
experiencing same- noted in similar thread running in other SD forum. I've also noticed that when hanging/running v slow, battery depletes rapidly- might indicate some sort of looping?

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. 

Yes, the battery depleting will be the result of high CPU workload - which is why it also gets hot. 

Not sure why the batch download would involve a great deal of computation, but clearly there's something not right here. 

Tim has said he's going to spend some time looking into it (half the problem is that they are not seeing it there).

kakugo
kakugo
Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)
I'm experiencing the problem regularly and also in this very moment. Just downloading the plates for Geneva is taking several minutes . This with my iPad. I never had problems with my Android phone or my PC. 
cbk
c
Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)Forum Member (42 reputation)
I have the same problem. Downloading the AIPs on my Windows Computer takes only a few minutes. Downloading the same AIPs on my iPad takes 1-2 days! Smale files aren't the problem, but big files, bigger than about 1,5MB result in a long pause of the download (of many hours).

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
The latest beta of SkyDemon for iOS fixes this issue. You can sign up for the beta from the beta page on our website, or you can await the next public version (next week at the latest).
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search