SkyDemon Forums

Download of AIP-data via WLAN extremly slow

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic27280.aspx

By Tim Dawson - 11/1/2018 10:54:12 AM

The cancel button cancels immediately; it does not wait for the end of the file before dismissing the window.
By EGBPdriver - 11/2/2018 4:57:58 PM

Tim,

It does look like you are throttling when you use the bulk / batch download option, whereas you aren't when you individually download plates.

Perhaps this is causing the difference??

From my firewall, when using the batch option the url request is: 

Note: throttle=true

Whereas when downloading individually, it is simply: 

By Sbihour - 11/3/2018 1:02:32 PM

Hello everyone

1st post here and I also confirm the bulk AIP download issue.
The problem can occur on very large files (like the french AIP one or on UK GEN 2.3 chart symbols >17 mb) but also on smaller ones > 800 k.

Hope this helps,
Regards
Sylvain.
iOS 12.0.1
SkyDemon 3.10.5.134
By E4z9 - 11/3/2018 6:55:30 PM

For me, download of complete AIPs take a very very long time.
During the batch download, the progressing speed of individual files seems to grow non-linearly with the size.
A 1MB file took a few seconds, a 6 MB file took more like a minute or two.
The german AIP ENR 6 Enroute Chart Lower Airspace with 12MB didn't finish after 15 minutes. The cancel button did not work at all during that time. The device was getting warm.
Maybe it is not the download itself, but there seems to be a UI blocking operation that takes very long for bigger files during batch processing.
Downloading the above 12MB file succeeds in less than a second when done manually as an individual file.
By EGBPdriver - 11/10/2018 9:41:37 AM

Skyboy999 - 11/10/2018 9:36:40 AM
experiencing same- noted in similar thread running in other SD forum. I've also noticed that when hanging/running v slow, battery depletes rapidly- might indicate some sort of looping?

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. 

Yes, the battery depleting will be the result of high CPU workload - which is why it also gets hot. 

Not sure why the batch download would involve a great deal of computation, but clearly there's something not right here. 

Tim has said he's going to spend some time looking into it (half the problem is that they are not seeing it there).
By kakugo - 11/11/2018 11:21:02 AM

I'm experiencing the problem regularly and also in this very moment. Just downloading the plates for Geneva is taking several minutes . This with my iPad. I never had problems with my Android phone or my PC. 
By cbk - 11/11/2018 9:10:04 PM

I have the same problem. Downloading the AIPs on my Windows Computer takes only a few minutes. Downloading the same AIPs on my iPad takes 1-2 days! Smale files aren't the problem, but big files, bigger than about 1,5MB result in a long pause of the download (of many hours).
By Tim Dawson - 11/13/2018 4:10:54 PM

The latest beta of SkyDemon for iOS fixes this issue. You can sign up for the beta from the beta page on our website, or you can await the next public version (next week at the latest).
By EGBPdriver - 11/13/2018 5:24:15 PM

Tim Dawson - 11/13/2018 4:10:54 PM
The latest beta of SkyDemon for iOS fixes this issue. You can sign up for the beta from the beta page on our website, or you can await the next public version (next week at the latest).

Many thanks Tim.

Can you (or someone) point me in the direction of where to sign up for the beta ?? Can't see it on the main web site nor on the "Suggestions and Beta Discussion" forum.

Thanks!
By Thaler - 11/14/2018 6:21:00 AM

Thank you, Tim!
By Sky Painter - 11/14/2018 11:56:32 AM

EGBPdriver - 11/13/2018 5:24:15 PM

Many thanks Tim.

Can you (or someone) point me in the direction of where to sign up for the beta ?? Can't see it on the main web site nor on the "Suggestions and Beta Discussion" forum.

Thanks!

Can you (or someone) point me in the direction of where to sign up for the beta ?
By EGBPdriver - 11/14/2018 12:51:49 PM

Sky Painter - 11/14/2018 11:56:32 AM
EGBPdriver - 11/13/2018 5:24:15 PM

Many thanks Tim.

Thanks!

Can you (or someone) point me in the direction of where to sign up for the beta ?

Many thanks !

By EGBPdriver - 11/14/2018 4:39:57 PM

I can confirm fixed in the beta, many thanks.
By Thaler - 10/27/2018 7:28:55 PM

Since the latest update of SD and iOS I have a problem downloading/updating AIP-data. I encounter the issue both on an iPad 4 mini as well as on an iPhone 8. Both devices have the latest iOS 12.0.1 and the latest version of SD 3.10.5.134. Also, I encounter this regardless of the WLAN or internet connection used (home, two different offices and hotel).

The download of the AIP does work but is extremly slow when trying to download files via WLAN.

I tried a few combinations in order to get closer to the problem:

- Time required to download AIP-files into the PC-version of SD via a DSL-connection is as normal.
- Time required to download AIP-files into phone and tablet via LTE works normal (considering the amount of data to be loaded this is hardly a permanent solution).
- Time to download updates into other apps on the mobile devices via WLAN is normal.
- Time to load and open large e-mail attachements on the phone and the tablet via WLAN is normal (5 seconds for an 8MB file).
- Downloading AIP-files via WLAN into SD on the mobile devices takes forever (in excess of 45 mins for a 4MB-file).

I have tried to download different files in different country AIPs with the same result to exclude that the problem is with a single file.

The above applies both to my iPhone as well as my iPad so I presume the problem must be somewhere between iOS and SD as the WLAN-networks and DSL-connections seem to be fine and the download of files via LTE into SD also works as normal.

Short of deleting SD and re-installing it (which might become troublesome in case I thereafter still cannot load any AIP-date): Any thoughts appreciated.
By grahamb - 11/8/2018 10:59:04 AM

I reported this to Tim and Hannah a few weeks ago. I'm just bulk updating 17 AIPs on my iPad Pro, a total size of 399Mb as I write. Its been running for about 45 minutes now and only about 27% complete.

Going through the individual AIPs and manually downloading individual documents may be fine when you have one AIP to update, but doing it for several or more is completely impractical.
By Tim Dawson - 11/8/2018 12:11:13 PM

I wish I could convince people they do not need 17 AIPs cached on their devices. What an enormous waste of everybody's storage and bandwidth.

I am going to do some work this afternoon on trying to get around this slow or blocked download issue, and perhaps even post a beta if we get that far.
By grahamb - 11/8/2018 1:00:24 PM

Tim Dawson - 11/8/2018 12:11:13 PM
I wish I could convince people they do not need 17 AIPs cached on their devices. What an enormous waste of everybody's storage and bandwidth.

I am going to do some work this afternoon on trying to get around this slow or blocked download issue, and perhaps even post a beta if we get that far.

Well, I normally have two or three, but at the moment I'm planning a large trip around Europe for next year, working out both IFR and VFR options, so it suits me to have them all to hand. Storage for me is no problem, they barely scratch the surface of a 256GB iPad.

Next time I binge watch a streamed box set because I've got nothing better to do, I'll remind myself what a waste of bandwidth it is.Smile
By EGBPdriver - 11/8/2018 4:17:18 PM

Tim Dawson - 11/8/2018 12:11:13 PM

Thanks Tim. It has only been since updating to 3.10.5.134

Regarding multiple AIPs - we did an around Europe summer trip and we needed quite a few. 
For the future - one improvement in managing this area would be to have the ability to delete individual AIPs - at the moment your only option is to "Clear Document Cache" - which wipes everything and you need to re-download AIPs that you still need....... OR....... you keep the AIPs that you no longer need - hence end up with quite a few.
May help your cause in this area!

By Skyboy999 - 11/10/2018 9:36:40 AM

experiencing same- noted in similar thread running in other SD forum. I've also noticed that when hanging/running v slow, battery depletes rapidly- might indicate some sort of looping?
By EGBPdriver - 11/3/2018 7:06:20 PM

E4z9 - 11/3/2018 6:55:30 PM
For me, download of complete AIPs take a very very long time.
During the batch download, the progressing speed of individual files seems to grow non-linearly with the size.
A 1MB file took a few seconds, a 6 MB file took more like a minute or two.
The german AIP ENR 6 Enroute Chart Lower Airspace with 12MB didn't finish after 15 minutes. The cancel button did not work at all during that time. The device was getting warm.
Maybe it is not the download itself, but there seems to be a UI blocking operation that takes very long for bigger files during batch processing.
Downloading the above 12MB file succeeds in less than a second when done manually as an individual file.

Thanks for confirming what I am also seeing here. 

As you say, individually it seems fine so it is something in the batch process. So far, concerns have been dismissed - but hopefully the more people that report the problem it may get looked at.

By Tim Dawson - 11/7/2018 12:07:53 PM

Years ago we used to throttle plate downloads. Not for a long time now though.

Clearly this is an issue for some people, it seems to be on our iOS product, and it doesn't always happen. We haven't managed to make it happen ourselves yet though.