Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Can't connect to PowerFlarm

Author
Paul Mahony
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Tim,

Ever since the latest SD update where the connection to PF was moved from CONNECTIONS to GO FLYING, I can't get my PF Core to connect to SD and I have to revert to Use Location Services and the iPad's internal GPS.

I have checked the PF Core device and get the customary orange LED for 20 seconds and then the steady green LED which tells me that it has booted correctly and is receiving GPS signals. On the iPad wi-fi status icon, it shows that I am connected to the Butterfly Connect.

I have confirmed SETTINGS - CONNECTIVITY - FLARM and when I select GO FLYING - USE FLARM, I get the message: "Please wait while a connection is established to your external device" but after about 10 seconds I always get the message: "Failed to establish a connection with Butterfly Connect."

I have tried it with airplane mode off (wi-fi still selected) and on; I have deleted SD from my iPad and reloaded it; I have reconfigured the PF Core with my USB stick but all to no avail. My iPad is connected to the Butterfly Connect wi-fi and the PF Core is receiving GPS data but it's just not happening on SD and only seems to have started after the last update.

Do you have any suggestions, please?

Paul
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Do you have any access to an Android device? If so, you could try loading the previous version (Apple don't let you do that) from our website to verify if it definitely was a breaking change in the new version. I don't think we actually changed the Flarm code at all, so it would be surprising.
Paul Mahony
Paul Mahony
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Hi Tim,

I have tried connecting my friend's iPad running SD to my PF Core and he gets the same result as me.  His iPad shows that there is a Wi-Fi connection to the Butterfly Connect but after about ten seconds he gets the same message: "Failed to establish a connection with Butterfly Connect" even though the W-Fi icon is showing a full strength connection to it.

Yesterday, I had another SD user up at Full Sutton airfield try his Android device in my aircraft and he too got the same result although I'm not sure what version of SD he was using.  I suspect it was the latest one.

I called Butterfly Avionics in Germany asking them if they had any clues and they said to make sure all the connections/leads were OK.  As I'm getting power to my PF Core (the LEDs are all working) and as my iPad is showing connection to the Butterfly W--Fi unit, everything seems to be OK.

I guess I'm just asking if you could make sure that nothing seems to have changed from your end and if that's the case, I suppose I'll have to send it back to Butterfly for them to have a look at.

Are there any other iPad / SD / PF Core users on the forum out there having problems with the latest version of SD or is everything OK?!!

Thanks.

Paul

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I don't think anything changed about the Flarm connection, and we have enough customers out there using SkyDemon with Flarm that I would have thought we'd have heard about it if there were a general problem. We don't actually have a Flarm unit in the office to test with, though. I'd be happy to test yours if you wanted to send it to us, but it might be just as easy for you to send it to Butterfly.
Aubrey Dawson
Aubrey Dawson
Too Much Forum (778 reputation)Too Much Forum (778 reputation)Too Much Forum (778 reputation)Too Much Forum (778 reputation)Too Much Forum (778 reputation)Too Much Forum (778 reputation)Too Much Forum (778 reputation)Too Much Forum (778 reputation)Too Much Forum (778 reputation)
I'm having exactly the same issue so it's not a problem with the PowerFlarm unit. My iPad mini connected to PF perfectly every time before the recent update, but now SD will not connect to PF, just comes up with the error message as above. Perhaps you can reinstate the previous way of connecting, via the connections option.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
My offer to diagnose this issue by borrowing the exact unit concerned still stands.
leemoore1966
leemoore1966
Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)
Hi Folks,
As a quick test for connectivity, you should be able to run a 'telnet' session directly from your iOS device to the butterfly connect.
There is an APP on iOS called 'Telnet Lite', you could configure a telnet connection providing the following (depending on version of butterfly)

IP-ADDR: 192.168.1.1
IP-PORT: 2000

When you connect this, you can enter your PIN code, if all is well, you should then see the messages streamed to the application terminal

Thx
Lee

Michael Rubio
Michael Rubio
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
FYI, I am having the exact same problem - same setup, same issue... 

Birdyboy
Birdyboy
Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)
and me. Nexus, and PFLARM by wifi. doesn't connect any more.
I used to have to disable 4g data mode on the andriod for it to pick up the wifi connection but this no longer works

Europa farm strip flyer, Bedfordshire, UK
Tags
DMIPU
DMIPU
Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)Too Much Forum (337 reputation)
Hi all,

same Problem with IOS (IPAD mini). I have installed Powerfarm Core with Wifi-Adator:  Tried today the lastest Version of SD with Android and it worked fine.
Since last update of SD it connects short then loose connectin. In Version before it worked as it should.

Is there any solution meanwhile?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search