SkyDemon Forums

Can't connect to PowerFlarm

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic16507.aspx

By Grila - 7/30/2015 9:29:40 AM

Hi Tim,

Ever since the latest SD update where the connection to PF was moved from CONNECTIONS to GO FLYING, I can't get my PF Core to connect to SD and I have to revert to Use Location Services and the iPad's internal GPS.

I have checked the PF Core device and get the customary orange LED for 20 seconds and then the steady green LED which tells me that it has booted correctly and is receiving GPS signals. On the iPad wi-fi status icon, it shows that I am connected to the Butterfly Connect.

I have confirmed SETTINGS - CONNECTIVITY - FLARM and when I select GO FLYING - USE FLARM, I get the message: "Please wait while a connection is established to your external device" but after about 10 seconds I always get the message: "Failed to establish a connection with Butterfly Connect."

I have tried it with airplane mode off (wi-fi still selected) and on; I have deleted SD from my iPad and reloaded it; I have reconfigured the PF Core with my USB stick but all to no avail. My iPad is connected to the Butterfly Connect wi-fi and the PF Core is receiving GPS data but it's just not happening on SD and only seems to have started after the last update.

Do you have any suggestions, please?

Paul
By Tim Dawson - 9/24/2018 10:10:37 AM

Peer, in your email analogy, the email client wouldn't stop working but it would immediately stop receiving anything from that particular sender (who is known to send spam/malware) and not receive any more from that sender until you re-enabled it. That's the equivalent of what SkyDemon is doing.

You appear to think it is "normal" for an aviation device to send out erroneous data. It is not. I cannot emphasize that enough. We do have experience of working with many different pieces of hardware, remember.

It is very likely that other navigation apps simply are not performing the checking that we do. We are rigorous, because being incorrect is unthinkable to us. Obviously, the vendor of your device which is outputting erroneous data is not checking that output either. It's extremely sad in the world of aviation that either of these cases are true.

My one concession would be that we would be willing to talk with the vendor of your problematic hardware and if they have a known bug where ONE particular erroneous piece of information is regularly sent by one of their products, and that piece of information was deemed by us to be harmless, we would alter our code to ignore that particular field.