Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Wifi link to Dynon Skyview

Author
Hotscam
Too Much Forum (411 reputation)Too Much Forum (411 reputation)Too Much Forum (411 reputation)Too Much Forum (411 reputation)Too Much Forum (411 reputation)Too Much Forum (411 reputation)Too Much Forum (411 reputation)Too Much Forum (411 reputation)Too Much Forum (411 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We use Dynon Skyview in our plane and have trouble loading GPX route files into it.
These can be written to memory stick from a PC made up by Skydemon, but when I am travelling the iPad I use cannot write to sticks as you know.

Dynon has now introduced an open wifi interface to their terminals to do this and this is quite interesting.
Foreflight (not suitable for Europe) and Easy VFR now support this interface, but I am not a fan of these systems.

Is there a chance Skydemon would support this in the future?
Talked to Michael Shofield of Dynon and he said they would be happy to support this, but you have not been in touch he said.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Yes, there is a chance. Stay tuned.
SteveN
SteveN
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
I asked Dynon about cooperation between them and Skydemon at Friedrichshafen.

They said the door was open.

sfxman
sfxman
Too Much Forum (169 reputation)Too Much Forum (169 reputation)Too Much Forum (169 reputation)Too Much Forum (169 reputation)Too Much Forum (169 reputation)Too Much Forum (169 reputation)Too Much Forum (169 reputation)Too Much Forum (169 reputation)Too Much Forum (169 reputation)
I emailed SkyDemon and suggested an easy option - just allow export of flight plan from Sky Demon to a wifi flash drive that can live in the USB port of the Skyview. I currently plan on my iPhone, email to Mac laptop then save onto flash drive and take it with me and transfer to Dynon - my suggestion would allow planning in the cockpit, no laptop required.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
The latest Android beta now supports Wifi connection to SkyView units. We want feedback on this feature please, to determine whether we include the feature in the next full release of SkyDemon. More information at the link below.
http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic16216.aspx

SteveN
SteveN
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
Thanks for this Tim. Dynon Wifi dongle ordered today.

SteveN
SteveN
I tried the Skydemon <--> Skyview link today . It is brilliant.

I ran Skydemon and loaded a plan I had previously created on the PC into my Nexus via Skydemon's cloud. On the Nexus it is necessary to manually select Skyview as the WiFi connection as the tablet (reasonably) won't auto connect to a non internet hotspot.  I then enabled Skyview as a GPS option in "connectivity" and selected "go flying".  This prompts for which GPS source to use so I selected Skyview and it snapped to my position instantly. An option to send the flight plan to Skyview is then available in the drop down menu. Again this appeared on Skyview  instantaneously.  

I did notice the option to send the plan to Skyview only appeared if the Dynon GPS was selected not location services . The GPS lock to Skyview drops immediately if one "stops navigation" but that's what one would expect. The message saying so could perhaps look more like information than an error but this a minor detail.  Having an exact copy of the route on Skyview is very useful.

Overall very impressed and this is a valuable facility I would like to see included in the release version Smile.

Nexus 7 (2013) 
Android 5.1.1  LMY48G
Skydemon 3.3.2.28855
Skyview D1000  V12.2

Edited 7/13/2015 6:07:34 PM by SteveN
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Thanks Steve.
ploucandco
ploucandco
Too Much Forum (154 reputation)Too Much Forum (154 reputation)Too Much Forum (154 reputation)Too Much Forum (154 reputation)Too Much Forum (154 reputation)Too Much Forum (154 reputation)Too Much Forum (154 reputation)Too Much Forum (154 reputation)Too Much Forum (154 reputation)
Supper of the Skyview interface in the iOS version would make me fully happy with Skydemon :-)
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)
This may sound like a daft question but I don't have skyview myself and I'm trying to help someone who has.
I went to the airfield today with my trusted iPad mini. I ticked connectivity option, then go flying ( Dynon skyview) and connected with the aircraft GPS. How do you then send the route to skyview? Unfortunately it isn't something you can try out at home without having the skyview connection. I'm thinking now, that maybe another option appears under 'route' once connected.
Thanks
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search