Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skipping Turnpoints

Author
RV12Flyer
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Skydemon Version 3.16.9.0
Have not had this issue before. I am using my Android phone with Skydemon and it has performed perfectly.

On the last flight the Next turnpoint kept changing to a turnpoint that was further along the route. Eg. missing navigation to the next turnpoint in the route.
When I returned home I flew the same route using the simulator on the PC and it did the same thing.

Has anyone else had this? or
is it a bug? 
or a setting I have inadvertently changed?

Is there a quick way to force Navigation to the correct waypoint while flying? just in case it happens again??

Thank  you in advance
Tony

Edited 9/5/2023 11:30:09 AM by RV12Flyer
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
RV12Flyer - 9/5/2023 10:12:09 AM
Have not had this issue before. I am using my Android phone with Skydemon and it has performed perfectly.

On the last flight the Next turnpoint kept changing to a turnpoint that was further along the route. Eg. missing navigation to the next turnpoint in the route.
When I returned home I flew the same route using the simulator and it did the same thing.

is it a bug? 

Is there a quick way to force Navigation to the correct waypoint while flying? just in case it happens again??

Thank  you in advance
Tony

I have never seen this other than in very specific circumstances, but it would be usful to know more about the route you were flying.

RV12Flyer
RV12Flyer
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)
grahamb - 9/5/2023 11:07:31 AM

When I returned home I flew the same route using the simulator and it did the same thing.

is it a bug? 

Thank  you in advance
Tony

I have never seen this other than in very specific circumstances, but it would be usful to know more about the route you were flying.

Is there any easy way to share my route using Skydemon?
or here it is in Manual form
Bodmin - Eden Project - St.Ives - Hayle - Truro City - Lostwithiel - Bodmin  (all in Cornwall)
for Eg. when reaching or getting close to Eden Project it will skip to Lostwithiel.
Also when between Hayle and Truro it will decide to go to St.Ives again.

Tony

Edited 9/5/2023 11:26:46 AM by RV12Flyer
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
RV12Flyer - 9/5/2023 11:10:32 AM
grahamb - 9/5/2023 11:07:31 AM

is it a bug? 

Thank  you in advance
Tony

Is there any easy way to share my route using Skydemon?
or here it is in Manual form
Bodmin - Eden Project - St.Ives - Hayle - Truro City - Lostwithiel - Bodmin  (all in Cornwall)
for Eg. when reaching or getting close to Eden Project it will skip to Lostwithiel.
Also when between Hayle and Truro it will decide to go to St.Ives again.

Tony

Long press on the turning point to which you wish to fly. This will bring up the What's Here dialogue box. Tap on Routing  and then tap on Take Shortcut. 

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
This may be because SkyDemon decides which leg you're currently navigating (and therefore which is your next waypoint) by looking at your position and seeing which leg you're closest to. This is a very simplistic algorithm and works well most of the time. In the case where you've got a "return" leg crossing an "outward" leg, though, I can see why it might momentarily get confused. Does that describe what you were seeing?
RV12Flyer
RV12Flyer
Tim Dawson - 9/6/2023 9:10:57 AM
This may be because SkyDemon decides which leg you're currently navigating (and therefore which is your next waypoint) by looking at your position and seeing which leg you're closest to. This is a very simplistic algorithm and works well most of the time. In the case where you've got a "return" leg crossing an "outward" leg, though, I can see why it might momentarily get confused. Does that describe what you were seeing?

Yes I think this is what is happening Tim.
While flying I thought that maybe the tracks were so close together it could cause this.
Is there a simple way while flying to get it back on to the correct waypoint?

Thank you
Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Other than flying closer to your planned route, I can't think of anything.
RV12Flyer
RV12Flyer
Tim Dawson - 9/7/2023 9:00:43 AM

Ok thank you @Tim.
I will try and fly the plane exactly on the magenta line and see if that corrects it in flight.
regards
Tony

Fabrizio Albonico
F
Too Much Forum (141 reputation)Too Much Forum (141 reputation)Too Much Forum (141 reputation)Too Much Forum (141 reputation)Too Much Forum (141 reputation)Too Much Forum (141 reputation)Too Much Forum (141 reputation)Too Much Forum (141 reputation)Too Much Forum (141 reputation)
RV12Flyer - 9/7/2023 9:21:13 AM
Tim Dawson - 9/7/2023 9:00:43 AM

Ok thank you @Tim.
I will try and fly the plane exactly on the magenta line and see if that corrects it in flight.
regards
Tony

I have the same issue when flying from Lugano LSZA to the Matterhorn (world-famous "Toblerone" mountain) and back, which, conveniently, is a 270° heading almost after take-off.
If I set up a route in SD that is like this: LSZA dct LSZAW (vrp) dct Matterhorn dct LSZAW dct LSZA I have two overlapping tracks and I find that SD routinely picks the wrong one, e.g. it wants me to go back to the airfield even though I just lifted off. 
@Tim : maybe the "simple" algorithm could be tweaked to incorporate the general vector currently being flown; e.g. if I'm flying westbound I am probably on the leg that will get me to the Matterhorn and not on the other one, which brings me back to the airfield.
I'm happy to provide a route definition should it be needed.
Thanks!

--
LSZA based
DA40 / SR20 / S22T / PIVI / TWEN

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Perhaps that might be a good idea. I think our algorithm already incorporates a check of your track, in the case where you are very close to two different legs.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search