Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

“Show IFR features”option

Author
Pete
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When this is selected, the instrument plates are displayed but I notams ( which affect instrument plates) are not displayed unless ifr or mixed is selected in flight rules (as I have just discovered, thought I was checking notams pre flight, but the important ones were excluded in the notams tab!) , vfr being the fixed default.

I think this is inconsistent as anyone who selects “show ifr features” would want I notams displayed along with instrument plates( which of course may be affected by I notams)

Can I notams be displayed in notams tab with the above selected irrespective of flight rules please?

Edited 3/14/2023 11:00:33 AM by Pete
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
The fact that IFR features are enabled doesn't mean that all your flights will be IFR. That's why the NOTAM briefing looks at the actual rules for your planned flight, rather than just making assumptions.
Pete
Pete
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
But it does no harm to display them, (anyone enabling “show ifr features” would probably have a passing interest anyway, in case they have to change rules e route) and are arguably more relevant than the one about overflying Ethiopia!

Edited 3/15/2023 10:51:07 AM by Pete
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We would disagree there; people generally want fewer NOTAMs not more.
Pete
Pete
Tim Dawson - 3/16/2023 10:40:18 AM
We would disagree there; people generally want fewer NOTAMs not more.

On the contrary, I would definitely prefer less notams, but hiding them away does not work well in aviation.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Well, this is the right forum for people to weigh in, if it's generally thought that the way we do things could be better.

For the moment, think of the SkyDemon NOTAM briefing as any other, where you need to specify your flight rules as IFR if you want NOTAM included that are targeted at IFR flights.

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/17/2023 9:58:57 AM
Well, this is the right forum for people to weigh in, if it's generally thought that the way we do things could be better.

For the moment, think of the SkyDemon NOTAM briefing as any other, where you need to specify your flight rules as IFR if you want NOTAM included that are targeted at IFR flights.

isn't that the general confusion of having two places to select flight rules? You could remove the "show IFR features" from the layer settings and base it on the actual flight rules of the flight.

Fabrizio Albonico
F
Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)Too Much Forum (136 reputation)
No. I personally like to have the 5-letter IFR waypoint designator shown to me in SkyDemon, it has come in handy a few times when talking on the radio ("we're x miles south of town X!" - "Where is that?" - "3 miles east of ABCDE").
Sometimes you are required to use them for VFR navigation, too - as an example from Genova LIMJ to Elba/Marina di Campo LIRJ where IDONA, UNITA (and other) are required/expected reporting points even when flying VFR. I do not fly IFR.
I second the request of having the IFR-only relevant NOTAMs displayed, maybe through an additional setting ("Include IFR NOTAMs in Briefing"), since it has happened a few times that the issuer wrongly assumed the flight rule when issuing the NOTAM while that was relevant to VFR (happened in LSZA once, where the runway lights were U/S but the NOTAM only available in IFR...)

--
LSZA based
DA40 / SR20 / S22T / PIVI / TWEN

Pete
Pete
I like the "show IFR features" as it allows SD to cater for VFR only or a mix, my original point being that it doesn't (show I Notams)
IFR flight rules are unusual in the UK, in that one can be "airways" when SD is mostly irrelevant or OCAS in which case it becomes highly relevant negotiating entry into/around class D etc.
So the IFR rules setting understandably doesn't show controlled airspace restrictions as well as VFR which is not ideal for IFR OCAS
The mixed setting map display is dependant on whether IFR or VFR was displayed previously, is this intentional?

marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)
I’m looking at this from another angle. As an IR rated pilot, even if I fly VFR I always set flight rules to mixed so I pick up the I NOTAMs.

For NOTAMs specifically I’d like a default way of always showing mixed regardless of flight rules.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search