Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Runway slope

Author
K
Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm wondering if there is anyway to include runway slope information in Skydemon plates and/or Approach information tab.

Not sure if such information is readily available for all airfields, but in such cases I manually go into Google maps and get elevation details from each runway thresholds. Perhaps using runway GPS coordinates, it's possible for Skydemon to calculate the slope automatically.

PS: Now having used SD for 2 years, I appreciate it more and more for every XC flight. Impressive by a modest size team behind. Well done. 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The way you're doing it already will get you fairly close, but the resolution of such data is such that it could be misleading.

SkyDemon only has access to such data if you've turned on high-resolution terrain, in the Mapping settings. We could in theory predict a slope but I am concerned about the possibility of misleading the user due to the inherent imprecision of the data.

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 5/23/2022 10:35:30 AM
The way you're doing it already will get you fairly close, but the resolution of such data is such that it could be misleading.

SkyDemon only has access to such data if you've turned on high-resolution terrain, in the Mapping settings. We could in theory predict a slope but I am concerned about the possibility of misleading the user due to the inherent imprecision of the data.

How would you do that? Comparing the elevation of both thresholds? What about if both were the same and the rwy has an up-slope and down-slope as some rwys do?
Best, Eric

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Yes, that is another reason it would be tricky.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search