SkyDemon Forums

Runway slope

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic35026.aspx

By Tim Dawson - 5/23/2022 10:35:30 AM

The way you're doing it already will get you fairly close, but the resolution of such data is such that it could be misleading.

SkyDemon only has access to such data if you've turned on high-resolution terrain, in the Mapping settings. We could in theory predict a slope but I am concerned about the possibility of misleading the user due to the inherent imprecision of the data.
By efrenken - 5/23/2022 10:16:35 PM

Tim Dawson - 5/23/2022 10:35:30 AM
The way you're doing it already will get you fairly close, but the resolution of such data is such that it could be misleading.

SkyDemon only has access to such data if you've turned on high-resolution terrain, in the Mapping settings. We could in theory predict a slope but I am concerned about the possibility of misleading the user due to the inherent imprecision of the data.

How would you do that? Comparing the elevation of both thresholds? What about if both were the same and the rwy has an up-slope and down-slope as some rwys do?
Best, Eric
By Tim Dawson - 5/24/2022 9:23:45 AM

Yes, that is another reason it would be tricky.
By KimW - 5/19/2022 9:13:04 PM

I'm wondering if there is anyway to include runway slope information in Skydemon plates and/or Approach information tab.

Not sure if such information is readily available for all airfields, but in such cases I manually go into Google maps and get elevation details from each runway thresholds. Perhaps using runway GPS coordinates, it's possible for Skydemon to calculate the slope automatically.

PS: Now having used SD for 2 years, I appreciate it more and more for every XC flight. Impressive by a modest size team behind. Well done.