Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Internet traffic info

Author
rv8ch
Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Not sure if this is in there, or if it's already been discussed, but is there any interest in overlaying internet traffic info onto the SD map?  Perhaps getting a feed from adsbexchange or pilotaware or another provider?   Thanks!
Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
rv8ch - 3/21/2022 1:04:10 PM
Not sure if this is in there, or if it's already been discussed, but is there any interest in overlaying internet traffic info onto the SD map?  Perhaps getting a feed from adsbexchange or pilotaware or another provider?   Thanks!

SafeSky does exactly that with all the ups and downs

BJS
B
Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)
rv8ch - 3/21/2022 1:04:10 PM

It has been discussed numerous times and is usually judged to 'gadget for home sitters and potentially dangerous for those flying'.
The unpredictable time delay between target sender and internet receiver renders the idea useless. Even further, for the one presenting or 'publishing' as Skydemon would if they do that, it is a nightmare with local jurisdictions, i.e. GDPDR law enforcement.

rv8ch
rv8ch
Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)
Thanks for the feedback.  I do use this capability with FF on the ground and I find it can be useful for more than just gawking at aircraft.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Would you care to expand on its usefulness?
Daniel_KDF
Daniel_KDF
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
I would find this feature also quite useful in flight, if implemented in the right way (good selection of sources; use of timestamps to detect outdated data). SafeSky does this, but it is a bit quirky to set up and requires an extra subscription. 
Most of the unknown traffic I encounter is low (e.g. traffic circuit) so mobile reception is a non-issue. Once I am at an altitude where I do not have mobile data any more, I am on a radar or FIS frequency receiving traffic information anyways. And before I hear this argument again: I do not care about 1-2 seconds of delay due to internet, because I just want to know that there is some traffic to look out for. I do not need the exact position on my moving map. 

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
Let's be clear, SafeSky should ideally be considered to complement other sources of traffic avoidance, e.g. Stratux or SE2 - this has been implemented in the v2.0 release from earlier this week after many months of joint development between the Stratux developers (including myself) and the SafeSky team. You can test the result by enabling "show traffic source in call sign" on both Stratux and SafeSky - ADSB Stratux traffic will be labeled with "es..." and SafeSky traffic with "ss..." on SkyDemon.
But even without a dedicated hardware like Stratux od SE2, SafeSky is a good alternative when transitioning after takeoff to FIS (as Daniel posted above) because at least for a few thousand feet AGL there is quite reliable mobile reception.

BJS
B
Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)Too Much Forum (177 reputation)
I am not a friend of exposing PIC to heavy traffic surveillance data instead of the anti collision needed for safe piloting. Most of the data from SafeSky is absolutely irrelevant for executing the flight and I don‘t see the GDPDR issue solved.
Edited 3/30/2022 10:18:16 AM by BJS
rv8ch
rv8ch
Tim Dawson - 3/25/2022 11:26:57 AM
Would you care to expand on its usefulness?

Hi Tim, one use case is to look at how the traffic flows around an airport I don't know very well.

Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)
BJS - 3/30/2022 9:48:19 AM
I am not a friend of exposing PIC to heavy traffic surveillance data instead of the anti collision needed for safe piloting. Most of the data from SafeSky is absolutely irrelevant for executing the flight and I don‘t see the GDPDR issue solved.

My personal observations show that SafeSky doesn't display all the traffic from FlightRadar24 (around 20% at a particular timeframe and area) compared to https://live.safesky.app with two monitors working side-by-side. I also didn't find any changes in aircraft position, as they claim to use some faster data protocol with no delays. Just exactly the same picture, but with less traffic. 

I also would love to see internet traffic without 3rd party software. 4G has very good coverage and is working well up to 2-3 km altitudes. Just place a warning that data may be inaccurate, and it's up to an end-user if they wish to take advantage of it.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search