Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SD connection problems with Garmin GLO 2

Author
F
Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I received my Garmin GLO 2 gps receiver this morning and, after loading it, I did a test with SD installed on my Android tablet.

Of course I followed Garmin's instructions on pairing with my Android device (the Bluetooth GPS app no longer exists but the "Bluetooth GNSS" app does the same thing).

I then launched SD and selected the third-party device "GDL90 Compatible Device" in the settings, but when I try to start browsing I get this.

What went wrong? What did I do wrong?

My Garmin GLO 2 is correctly connected to my Tablet and the Bluetooth GNSS app confirms that it is receiving satellites. If I try to move with my receiver the GPS position changes as expected.

So what's the problem?

Thank you.

Edited 3/2/2022 6:57:13 PM by Freccia
Freccia
F
Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)Too Much Forum (104 reputation)
Ok, some clarifications.

This is the starting situation:
  • GLO 2 correctly connected with my tablet (steady blue light)
  • location setting on my tablet disabled (see image)

• the "Bluetooth GNSS" app confirms the connection with the GLO 2 (lat/lon data and others are displayed)
  • I start SD and, from the settings menu, choose "GDL90 Compatible Device" as the third-party device, click on Go and choose "Use GDL90 Compatible Device".
  • I see is this.

• If instead, in the same situation above, I click Go and choose "Use Location Service", then I see this.

• That is, the exact location of my GLO 2 device
Remembering that the "Location" option of my tablet is disabled, can you please explain this strange behavior of SD?

Thank you.

Edited 3/3/2022 10:29:12 AM by Freccia
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
There's no strange behaviour. You don't have a GDL90 device so you shouldn't be trying to use that, or any of the other third-party devices.

Your Bluetooth device will get its data to SkyDemon through Android Location Services. That's the option you need.

Freccia
F
Hi Tim,
if I understand correctly, do I have to uncheck the third-party device settings and SD will receive data from my Garmin GLO 2?

Why, also SD now shows me an ALT of 5610 feet while my village is located at 650 feet above sea level?

Thank you.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
We simply show you what your GPS device tells us. I can't comment on why your GLO would be sending us that altitude but is there perhaps a Garmin app you can use to see what it's saying?

When you press Go Flying, you need to select Location Services if it shows you a list of choices. It shouldn't really show you a list of choices, though, if you don't have any third-party devices ticked. You don't need any of that stuff if you're using a Bluetooth GPS like a GLO, which uses Location Services.

Freccia
F
Unfortunately there is no dedicated app for this device and Garmin's other apps are not compatible with GLO 2.

Anyway, I did the tests at home, I'll take the device in flight and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your help.
Starpilotbr
S
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)
Hello,
I just have got my GLO2 and went through a number of problems to pair it to my Android Tablet.
Fortunately, I found a way to make it working and I hope this can help you and others.
1) Associate the tablet and GLO2 using Bluetooth on the tablet, so that the GLO2 is paired.
2) Download Bluetooth GNSS APP from Google Play Store.
3) In GNSS APP Connect the device to be used as external GPS (there is a list of paired devices appearing in the APP).
4) GNSS APP will tell you to go to Settings/General/Developers Option/Debug page/Allow Mock Locations (or something similar depending on the device).
5) To get your tablet show the Developers Option, you need to go to Setting/About Device, scroll down to Build Number and tap the number seven times. At this point, you will have the Developers option available.
6) Go to Debug page and check the box Allow Mock Locations. Automatically the Bluetooth GNSS APP will get your tablet connected to GLO2 and you get a solid blue led on it.
7) Let GLO2 find the satellites (green solid led) and start using your SkyDemon, by pressing Go Flying. No need to activate third parties devices.
It wokrs perfeclty, I just tried it in flight last Wednesday.
Hope will help.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search