Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon with Safesky.....Again!

Author
R
Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm a big fan of using technology to enhance flight safety and particularly in the area of conspicuity.  I've been doing a lot of flying lately using Pilot Aware, Sky Echo and SafeSky.
The most contacts you will see is using Pilot aware but Pilot aware does not put out ADSB if you need it to do that.
The next best is Safesky and finally the least you will see is using Skyecho with contacts showing on Skydemon.
Now when i use Safesky alongside Skydemon using the GDL90 option then brilliant I have all those Safesky contacts showing on my Skydemon app. However to do that I have to use the GDL90 device option when i "Fly", ie my phone as the GPS source. The problem now is if i loose my phone signal then Skydemon doesn't know where it is.
So to my question and point! Can Skydemon allow us to have Skydemon traffic showing using the GDL90 protocol but allow us in the app to use say Skyecho for the GPS?
This would be a perfect sollution at a very affordable price to enhance flight safety. I'm told you can do this Skydemon but are possibly being a little reluctant to do this as you don't like the use of mobile phones for this purpose? Please correct me if i'm wrong?
I have been using Safesky for months and it is brilliant. I see aircraft where they are and not where they were 30secs ago and for my kind of flying around the UK at up to around 3000ft have never lost 4g mobile phone coverage.
Currently i run Safesky on a seperate ipad on other side of my cockpit and it works a treat tethered to my phone but it would be so much better running inside Skydemon.
Please look at allowing this integration into your software using seperate GPS as it can only lead to enhanced flight safety.
I would ask others if you feel the same to please support this post and if you haven't already tried Safesky then download it and give it a try, it's free! However if you want to be able to use it in Skydemon then there's a modest yearly fee of around £25 i think.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
It sounds like you're asking to mix signals from two different devices; traffic from one device and GPS position from another. You're correct that this is technically possible but it's non-trivial and it isn't clear exactly what benefits it would bring. GDL90 is a comprehensive protocol designed to convey traffic, GPS position and even weather through one data stream, so why does it lack GPS position in your case?
Ridgeskimmer
R
Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)
Because the GPS would come from the mobile phone sending the traffic info and if you loose mobile phone coverage then SkyDemon won’t know where it is whereas the dedicated GPS in SkyEcho or other source such as a Garmin GLO would still be there. Or am I missing something here?
Thanks
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
The mobile phone doesn't need a phone signal, GPS signal is separate. People navigate their aircraft using their phones all the time, well out of phone signal.
GregBush
G
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
sure, SD should be able to MIX  data:  navigate with onboard GPS, and add traffic received via GDL90 from a second device (which runs Safesky).
Why? Many reasons. The main one is a safety issue: if the second device running Safesky should fail (overheat... out of battery... who knows), SD won't navigate any more. 
IN CASE a pilot understands the message while flying "device offline for xx seconds" at all, he  might switch back to planning mode, then back 'go flying' and select local GPS.  I don't want such an issue as a pilot. Fly the plane! Most of my fellows might not understand whats going on. Suddenly navigation is lost.... any complex airspace around.... they'll burn their available adrenaline quickly.
Other navigation software, such as Air Nav Pro, EasyVFR or ForeFlight  have this feature, so why not SD.  Safesky is able to send just traffic, not GPS, as it does with the mentioned Apps already.
Please nobody say: "we don't like Safesky at all... we don't know about latency...it's not reliable".  
Agree on a possible latency issue. A few seconds?
Anyway. Warning apps will IMPROVE safety. Worst case there is no improvement, but NEVER a degradation. Latency or not. Pilots will appreciate any means to improve traffic awareness.
--
Long story short, feature request: use built-in GPS for navigation, add traffic data rec'd via GDL90.
Other pilots might want the same feature.
Thanks!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
If your traffic device fails, you can press the ? button in the green warning banner that tells you so. SkyDemon will then offer to revert to Location Services so you can keep navigating. It's two touches of the screen. If and when SkyDemon detects your traffic device has started working again, it will silently switch back so you're receiving traffic.

There's no need to switch back to planning mode or interrupt your log.

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
FYI, SkyDemon has told me that you can't have SafeSky and SkyEcho 2 connected at the same time.
Something to do with them both using the same protocol for data transmission.
That is a shame, but I want to keep my real time reception of ADS-B Out and FLARM data.

I don't suppose there is a future, possible, technical solution to allow both system to integrate with SkyDemon?
Tony

Ridgeskimmer
R
Yes you can! I have been for a long time. I use SafeSky linked to SkyEcho which is then connected to SkyDemon. It works very well indeed
GregBush
G
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
Hi Tim,
thanks for your reply! I had not been aware of this feature. Hopefully more experienced fellow pilots are.
Still I am wondering why you don't want to offer a third option: use location services for navigation, and merge traffic from 3rd party device.
Navigation WILL be more reliable: tight connection to built-in GPS, not affectable by poor Wifi. Less wifi traffic. No latency. Just independant of any unknown 3rd device.
Mentioned competing Apps picked the idea. So why should SD stay behind.
Greg

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
We simply haven't seen many people asking for such a solution. Of those that have, most were concerned (like you were above) with the situation where the device fails and you're left without navigation services. We addressed that with a fallback feature, which even reconnects to your device when it's available again.

We prioritise feature development by the desire in the community. If it transpires that there's a good body of people who want to merge traffic from one particular product with GPS data from location services, then that's something we would put our minds to. We are not there yet.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search