Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon with Safesky.....Again!

Author
F
Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I have tried to fly a couple of times with SD using the Garmin GLO2 as a GPS source. It all works great with an Android tablet.

Now, if I wanted to integrate SafeSky to SD, would I just have to install the app, run it and see the traffic on SD?

Sorry if the question sounds silly, but I'm not very experienced.

Thank you.

Ridgeskimmer
R
Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)
You set up the connection to SkyDemon in the SafeSky settings. It’s fairly straightforward. You need the bought version of SafeSky
Freccia
F
Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)Too Much Forum (102 reputation)
Ridgeskimmer - 11/18/2022 3:30:46 PM
You set up the connection to SkyDemon in the SafeSky settings. It’s fairly straightforward. You need the bought version of SafeSky

If I have not misunderstood, SafeSky does not show "all" traffic, but only that of those who have installed the app and are using it. It's correct?

Ridgeskimmer
R
Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)Too Much Forum (89 reputation)
Incorrect. Go on the SafeSky website. It tells you all it sees on there but much more than just others using SafeSky
Tristan Fily
T
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Hello pilots,

Yes, SafeSky sends to SkyDemon traffic from all SafeSky pilots, but also from all the aggregated traffic (about 15 sources, including FLARM, ADS-B, some MODE-S, PilotAware, FANET...)...

(Note that regarding FLARM, pilots don't need to pay the £40 yearly subscription to decrypt the traffic in SkyDemon, since the traffic is already sent decoded to SkyDemon from SafeSky.)

When used along side with SkyEcho2 or any other eConspicious devices, you get the best of both worlds on SkyDemon: air2air traffic from SkyEcho show up on SkyDemon as normal, plus when in the range of internet connection (78% coverage up to 5000ft in the UK), SafeSky adds up traffic that SkyEcho does not see.

There is an interesting article in Flyer in August about this setup with SkyDemon: https://flyer.co.uk/review/top-gear-safesky-september-2022/

Fly Safe everyone

FlappingTiger
F
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
Hi Tristan

Thank you for your very interesting post and link to the Flyer article which I read.

So far I'm flying using SkyDemon connected to Sky Echo II. Can you briefly explain your concrete connection setup if you add SafeSky to the mix? I read in the Flyer article that both SafeSky and SkyDemon (the devices they are running on, respectively) can be connected to Sky Echo at the same time and exchange data through that connection. Are you using it that way or in a different setup? I assume SafeSky needs an Internet connection to a) generall work and get the desired data and b) feed the data to Sky Demon (or does it do that locally over the Sky Echo Wifi as well?).

For Sky Demon I use an iPad Mini 5 and the iPad connects to the Sky Echo II WiFi (no Internet over that connection, obviously). What's the best setup now to add SafeSky? Should it run on the iPad as well and if so, does it work being connected to Sky Echo via WiFi and still have Internet connection for SafeSky via the mobile network? The Flyer article suggests you can also run SafeSky on your Smartphone with mobile Internet connection and have both the Smartphone and the tablet be connected to Sky Echo over Wifi and that should work. 

Sorry for all the questions, I'm really excited about combining Sky Echo and SafeSky for traffic information (and GPS from Sky Echo) in Sky Demon.

Happy flying!

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
I will also be interested to know how SkyEcho2 and SafeSky can be run concurrently.
I run SkyDemon on my Samsung smartphone and connect to SkyEcho 2 via WIFI. I also have the additional subscription to receive FLARM data from my SkyEcho 2.
I did ask last year about how to connect SafeSky and SkyEcho concurrently but SkyDemon tech support said:
"It’s worth noting that it’s not possible to use Safesky and the SkyEcho in SkyDemon at the same time". 

Ridgeskimmer
R
I’ve been doing what you are both wanting to do for a long time. Works great. PM me for my number and I’ll talk you through it. Cheers
FlappingTiger
F
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
Ridgeskimmer - 1/27/2023 7:38:11 PM
I’ve been doing what you are both wanting to do for a long time. Works great. PM me for my number and I’ll talk you through it. Cheers

Thanks for offering individual support! I played around with the Sky Demon, Sky Echo and SafeSky combination and indeed got it to work quite easily. I incorrectly assumed that my tablet can't connect to Sky Echo via Wifi and still access the Internet via cellular mobile network in parallel.

Sky Demon support is technically correct that you can't have Sky Demon receive GPS and Traffic from both Sky Echo and SafeSky as you have to choose one when you activate flight mode. However, Safesky can connect to Sky Echo and combine its own traffic information with Sky Echo data and feed everything to Sky Demon.

The following setup seems to work for me:
Sky Demon and SafeSky (premium for Sky Echo connection and data feed to Sky Demon) installed on the tablet (iPad Mini 5 in my case). Connect the Wifi to Sky Echo. At the same time you need cellular mobile internet connection in the tablet/device. Once connected to Sky Echo over Wifi you should verify that despite non-internet Wifi connection to Sky Echo the tablet can still access the Internet through the cellular connection. SafeSky configured to use Sky Echo and share traffic data to Sky Demon, automatic software detection turned on. Enable 3rd party device GDL90 in Sky Demon settings and choose it when activating flight mode in Sky Demon. Activate flight mode in SafeSky ("Take off") and let it run with location permission in the background. Now Sky Demon should have GPS, SafeSky traffic and Sky Echo traffic data altogether. In SafeSky flight mode you can check with green button if the connections (SafeSky network, Sky Echo, Sky Demon) are working. On the other hand, Sky Demon would show a "waiting for device" message if it doesn't the the GPS/traffic data stream.

What I don't know yet at the moment: in case there is no cellular mobile data connection, does Sky Demon still get the Sky Echo traffic from SafeSky or not if SafeSky doesn't have a working Internet connection. I suppose yes but couldn't verify it so far. Will simulate it by disabling mobile data for SafeSky when I get to it (need Sky Echo traffic in range to verify).

In the Flyer article they suggest that a slightly different setup should also work, presumably for the situation where your Sky Demon device/tablet doesn't have cellular mobile network. They suggest to connect both your Sky Demon tablet/device and your other device with mobile Internet access to the Sky Echo Wifi and run SafeSky on the device with Internet access (similar like above but Sky Demon on a 2nd device without Internet). They suggest the SafeSky-SkyDemon data link still works through the Sky Echo Wifi connection if both devices are connected to it. I haven't tested it, maybe someone using it this way could confirm in this thread if that setup would also work. I'm going for the other option with both applications on the same tablet/device with the cellular and Wifi combination.

Happy flying!

Ridgeskimmer
R
To use it as you wish you connect SkyDemon to SkyEcho when you “Fly”. SafeSky is connected to SkyEcho separately. It’s all done in the SafeSky settings. As I said PM me if you wish
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search