Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Disable automatic On Block log

Author
zwischennetz
Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Tim,

We are doing aerial work with helicopters which involves a lot of really low and slow flying, including sometimes extended stationary hovering in only a few meters height. Theoretically skydemon would be an ideal tool for us. I can import complex routes including several hundred waypoints (eg. overhead transmission line towers) and skydemon performs perfectly and rock solid on IOS.
However, the automatic landing detection creates two major issues for us:
1. Every time a landing is falsely detected, the map zoom jumps back to the specified default zoom level.
2. The logs are seperated into several fragments with sometimes long gaps in between.

Is there any way to completely disable the automatic On Block logging? We only need pure manual logging.

For our use case skydemon would be an absolutely superior tool if we could solve this one issue.

I believe this would also solve the issues of the aerobatic guys:

Edited 6/23/2021 8:41:43 AM by zwischennetz
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Are you relying on automatic logging, or starting your logs manually? If you do the latter, it may help.
zwischennetz
zwischennetz
Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)Too Much Forum (717 reputation)
I sometimes did hit the off-block button after start-up (helicopter block time counts as soon as burning and turning). I’m 90% sure right now that that didn’t solve the issue. I will check specifically next week and get back to you.
Thanks for your support!
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Thanks. It would be good to have precise steps that you've taken, and what you observe compared to what you'd expect to see. Without that, we won't be able to dig in properly and find out what's not going right for you. Make sure that you log engine start too, based on what you've said.
zwischennetz
zwischennetz
Ok, I will do a proper trouble shoot and report back.
zwischennetz
zwischennetz
I did some testing today. Logging both Engine Start as well as Off Blocks, I do actually get one continuous trajectory. That is a big step forward and was probably my biggest concern.
However, skydemon still logs imaginary landings. Every time the zoom reverts to the default value, that is now my main concern.
Also (slightly less important for me personally but still a bit of a pity) the post-flight pilot log lists a bunch of very shorts flights between 1 and 5 minutes with large gaps in between. For one flight of 1:47 skydemon gave me a total of 30 minutes of actual flight time of which 15 mins was straight and level transit at the end.
Please note that skydemon logs a landing even though the trajectory is still well above ground level. Most of that track is somewhere around 100ft AGL. Also note large gaps between detected landing and takeoff.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Thanks, that is helpful to know. Would you mind sending us the log by email? I think you're already in touch with customer support.

Regarding the logging of takeoffs and landings, I think the problem must be to do with the very different flight characteristics of balloons compared to powered aircraft. I am not sure we could definitively solve the problem without adding a special balloon aircraft type in SkyDemon. I'll have to discuss with my colleagues how much demand we've seen for balloon-specific stuff before we're able to justify making such changes.

zwischennetz
zwischennetz
Tim Dawson - 6/29/2021 9:04:39 AM
Thanks, that is helpful to know. Would you mind sending us the log by email? I think you're already in touch with customer support.

Regarding the logging of takeoffs and landings, I think the problem must be to do with the very different flight characteristics of balloons compared to powered aircraft. I am not sure we could definitively solve the problem without adding a special balloon aircraft type in SkyDemon. I'll have to discuss with my colleagues how much demand we've seen for balloon-specific stuff before we're able to justify making such changes.

Hey Tim, I'm not the balloon guy, he's in another thread. I'm the heli guy. I'm using the helicopter aircraft type when I'm experiencing the above issues. I've not yet been in touch with customer support. Please send me the email address via private message and I will send over a sample log or two. Also I would happily help out more in case you need me to test certain scenarios in flight.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Oh! Apologies, I'm obviously getting confused. Please use the Contact Us page on our website which will send an email straight to the best person to handle this. Once you've got a response you can send over appropriate logs and we'll look into it for you.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Thanks for sending through the logs. I think the reason I was confusing you with the balloon guy is that the core issue is similar, which is partly the way we log flights and partly the way the map zooms (to be helpful) when it thinks a flight is over. They're two separate but related issues and careful thought needs to go into how we can make this better for you without negatively impacting the experience for the more common scenarios.

At least by manually logging off and on blocks, you're now taking control of most of the logging, even if spurious takeoffs and landings are still being logged. That is something.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search