Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Waypoint selection in flight

Author
flyingalan
Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would like to suggest that a facility is provided to step forward and back on the screen, the "waypoint in use" in the flight plan. It would make it very quick to return to previous (or departure field) if needed, and also enable quick direct re routing if required.

My idea would be to put on the screen smallish touch  buttons either side of existing "waypoint in use text" at the top of the screen that would be + and - allowing previous and next to be quickly selected in flight.

Also on subject of waypoint text, does anyone else find the existing text very small, and sometimes difficult to read in adverse light with the varying backgrounds and colors of moving map happening. I personally would like to see an increased font size for this text especially if we are able to select next and previous per my suggestion above.

best regards

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
The problem with manual selection of current leg is that it's utterly incompatible with what the vast majority of users want, which is the automatic selection that we have at the moment. This "just works" and never gets in the way. Suggestions for how to integrate that with some kind of manual selection will be welcome, along with what you think SkyDemon should do when you approach the end of a leg that you've selected manually.
flyingalan
flyingalan
Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)
Tim,

I was not suggesting that automatic is turned off. In last nav software I used (Navgps), you could step up/down thro' waypoints in your flight plan whilst active and it just used the new selection waypoint as normal and continued automatically to switch to next when you reached it. Obviously if you step back then when you reach it, it goes forward again however my main use of going back was a quick return to departure field (if that was selected). When going forward it just continued with the plan as entered having reached whatever new waypoint had been selected.

Hope this clarifies, it does not diminish the present automatic feature.

regards

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Are you aware that there is a simple Route -> Reverse option that reverses your route, and is ideal for a return journey or a return to base in case of an abort halfway along your outbound journey?
flyingalan
flyingalan
Tim,

Yes, but it requires going into a seperate menu and trying to hit the wanted small button in a bouncing aircraft and possibly poor screen visability whilst trying to fly accurately. Not easy, especially if under other pressure.

What I am trying to get, is and on screen map button that allows one button press  quick manipulation of waypoint without requiring super accurate fingers or stylus in flight.

regards

pink leader
pink leader
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Having seen al the requests re a page for the flight plan with etas for each waypoint, I rather agree it wd be v useful. In fact this cd combine with above request so that you cd click on a waypoint in such a page and go to it directly (and bypass intermediary wpts).

As for choosing this page, how about clicking on the next waypoint name at top of screen to bring up that page?

D

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Clicking on the next waypoint name at the top of the screen is hard, because it's very small vertically. Reversing the route means clicking on three large buttons, which is much easier.

The underlying problem here seems to be that you want to reverse your route, and we have an easy way to do it. I honestly can't think of a way of making it easier, unless we added a big button to the main screen that reversed the route, which we're not going to do. We could display a list of waypoints to choose from after clicking on the next waypoint, but as I already mentioned that's a small target area and there would still need to be another click, presumably.

flyingalan
flyingalan
Tim,

I guess we have to beg to differ. I disagree that the 3 buttons you quote are large or easy to hit in a moving unstable environment. Whilst the first menu icon is fine, trying to hit the "route" and "reverse" lines of the following menus is hit and miss with the other menu line items above and below. Once you hit the wrong one then more hit and miss attempts are required to get back where you want to be. Also return is not the only reason. I like to load expected reporting points/vrp's, corridors etc but often ATC will give a short or direct routing. It is very handy to quickly step to the new required waypoint without going into menus and trying to select a "line" item required out of several. Whilst flying with one hand and trying to "dab" a vibrating gps in the right place with a finger, the less options to hit the wrong thing, the better.

My whole point of putting single isolated buttons either side of waypoint text , albeit quite small, is that there is nothing else to hit and select in error. If you miss, then nothing happens. It does not require multiple (3) layers of menu to get there.

thanks and regards

flyingalan
flyingalan
Tim, also I notice you seem to misunderstand my implementation concept. I am just suggesting +  and - buttons that do just that , step through the loaded flight plan forward and back in sequence.

I agree that calling up another line menu of waypoints and trying to select one would be no easier than existing menu system.

regards

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
How about this: the idea of modifying your route to create a "short cut" to another part of the route? I'll explain.

Let's say your route plans around a piece of controlled airspace, danger area or something. When you're actually flying you manage to get a clearance so wish to alter your route to pass straight through it, taking a "short cut" to a waypoint later on in your plan. At present if you selected that waypoint and used the "Direct To" functionality your whole route would be replaced. But what if there were a "Take Shortcut" menu that removed all waypoints between where you are now and the one you've selected?

Would this feature help address the underlying issues behind the "skip to waypoint" feature request?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search